• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
S

sicr1000

Hey can someone please tell me which is a better back exercise, the bent over barbell row or the one arm dumbell row??

I want to strengthen lower back and lats mainly.

Barbell is quicker, in that you're doing both hands at once. However, you need really good form on it to avoid injury. One-armed is lots easier to do safely.

I recommend you begin with one-armed rows. When you can do about 1/3 your bodyweight without jerking or heaving for 10 or so reps, go for the barbell.

one arm all the way. tho some gyms dont have dumbbells that go past 30-40kg so they may find it hard to progress.

Hey can someone please tell me which is a better back exercise, the bent over barbell row or the one arm dumbell row??

I want to strengthen lower back and lats mainly.

Okay, to strengthen your lower back directly in isolation, your best exercise here would be weighted back extensions.

Of course other exercises like dead lift would really strengthen your lower back also whilst at the same time stimulating and boosting your testosterone levels.

B/bell or d/bell bent over rows? For me the question is not which is better but which is safer on the lower back. If your reps are going to be heavy, between 1-12 say, then I'd stick with the d/bells because I can give my back extra support by holding to an external object.

B/bell is fine for the high reps of say 15-25.

Having said that, you will find plenty of bodybuilders who would go really heavy whilst performing the b/bell rows. My lower back has been injured before so maybe I err on the cautious side. I'm sure you'd get members here saying it's ok to go heavy with the b/bell rows. Be your own man after hearing both side of the fence.

My final advice to you is which ever way you choose to go, please proceed with caution whenever you're approaching the heavies. Thank you for reading and all the best to you.

Fadi.

Okay, to strengthen your lower back directly in isolation, your best exercise here would be weighted back extensions.

Of course other exercises like dead lift would really strengthen your lower back also whilst at the same time stimulating and boosting your testosterone levels.

B/bell or d/bell bent over rows? For me the question is not which is better but which is safer on the lower back. If your reps are going to be heavy, between 1-12 say, then I'd stick with the d/bells because I can give my back extra support by holding to an external object.

B/bell is fine for the high reps of say 15-25.

Having said that, you will find plenty of bodybuilders who would go really heavy whilst performing the b/bell rows. My lower back has been injured before so maybe I err on the cautious side. I'm sure you'd get members here saying it's ok to go heavy with the b/bell rows. Be your own man after hearing both side of the fence.

My final advice to you is which ever way you choose to go, please proceed with caution whenever you're approaching the heavies. Thank you for reading and all the best to you.

Fadi.

Thanks for the advice, i have previously had a lower back problem(Had pretty sever muscle spazms which prevented me from working for 6 months, 5years ago. Have had very few problems since) hence why i want to make it strong as possible.

I have done both separately and I find that to isolate your back, DB row is better, you can use your other hand to support your upper body and really focus on perfect form, I found with the heavy barbell, I wasn't bending over enough when it was heavy and it was more of an upright row than a bent-over one.

Good luck.

This is a bit off topic but what in your opinion are the best "bang for the buck" lower back exercises?

This is a bit off topic but what in your opinion are the best "bang for the buck" lower back exercises?

Weighted back extensions and crunches! Crunches?! That's ab work yeh? Yes and it's always good to keep in mind balance between the antaginist muscles is never forgotten...just a friendly reminder that's all lossless, (what's your name by the way?).

Fadi.

The bent over barbell row should be a powerlift, ditch the bench press.

For lat development do chin-ups, rowing type movements are upper back, both should be done for complete back health and development.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think Chrissy makes a good case for the barbell row -- action starts at about 00:45. She has a most delightful body :).

ETA: Incorporating YouTube appears to be beyond me. Link is here: YouTube - Fitness Tips with Chrissy: BB Bent Over Row

[YOUTUBE]uaw-Up9Fkcg[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks, KA, for YouTube embedding advice. Still took me three attempts *bangs head on desk*.

Last edited:
I found with the heavy barbell, I wasn't bending over enough when it was heavy and it was more of an upright row than a bent-over one.
Ditto.

I've pushed my bentover barbell rows to 70kg now which is my bodyweight and I find I stand a bit upright for the later reps. When I use dumbells using the bench my arm on the bench ensures I can't lift my torso. I do find though that the dumbells create more of a rotation stress on the lower back which I don't get with the barbell.

On a related topic, if doing barbell rows do you guys use an overhand or underhand grip. I use overhand and used to be a weak grip without the opposing thumb, but have swung the thumb over to a strong grip given the weight. Might have to ease off the weight a bit to get back to really tight form.

Cheers,
Mike

Many people seem to find around their bodyweight is the point where form breaks down - in many compound exercises. It takes real attention to technique to get beyond there with decent form. Moving more than your bodyweight on a bar with decent form is a kind of strength which takes quite some time to develop.

I would suggest that if you are losing form on a certain weight of barbell rows, you will probably lose form on dumbell rows, too. Many people turn it into a twisting exercise, which ain't good for you.

Underhand grip on the barbell row will, like an underhand grip on chinups, use your biceps more. Overhand grip will use your brachialis more. I think everyone knows where the biceps are, but the brachialis is a bit lower on your upper arm.

The biceps attach to the radius - the lower arm bone that runs the side of your thumb up to your elbow - and help you turn your hand up. Flex your elbow, turn your palm to the ground, now turn your palm up towards you. Notice that the biceps shorten doing this; as well as being an elbow flexor, they are a forearm supinator, in fancy-talk.

The brachialis attaches to the ulna - the lower arm bone that runs the side of your little finger. So they're only an elbow flexor. They actually have greater potential strength than the biceps alone, but of course greatest overall strength comes from using them together. That's why people usually find that underhand grip chinups are easier than overhand ones.

The best way to describe this is to imagine the resistance is behind the elbows your hands and forearms are basically just acting as hooks.
Standing knees slightly bent upper torso parallel to the floor holy posterior chain... the biceps don't play a huge role here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Barbell is quicker, in that you're doing both hands at once. However, you need really good form on it to avoid injury. One-armed is lots easier to do safely.

I recommend you begin with one-armed rows. When you can do about 1/3 your bodyweight without jerking or heaving for 10 or so reps, go for the barbell.

I'd tend to agree with this.