• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Fadi,

You always say "Thank you for your time" or something similar. I do honestly believe that it is I (and many others) that should be thanking you.

I don't post much here, but believe me when I say, that your posts (along with Markos' ) have helped me hugely, in my quest to once again be healthy, live healthy and be the best me, that I can be.

Thank you, for your time, good sir.

Shane.

Your words are so uplifting Shane I'm truly humbled by them, thank you Sir.

You know, more often than not when I write something, I do it without thinking. It sounds strange I know, but it's as if someone is in my head dictating to me what to write and I simply follow the dictation and write. Sometimes I get carried away and end up writing more than just few lines.

So then I think that it's only appropriate to thank the people who took some of their precious time and paid attention to what I had to say. To me their action is enormously important and I would feel that I'd be inconsiderate not to thank them for their time. So thank you Shane for your sharp observation and may you have the best of health my friend.

Thanks Fadi. Truly inspiring stuff! Now hurry up and publish a training and diet book!

Thanks Gauche, you started it all young man!

WoW fadi a great history you have going , great to have such a wealth of info and experience on the forums

Thanks Graeme. It's great to have the forums to share the info and experience.

Fadi.

Last edited:
... So then I think that it's only appropriate to thank the people who took some of their precious time and paid attention to what I had to say. To me their action is enormously important and I would feel that I'd be inconsiderate not to thank them for their time. So thank you Shane for your sharp observation and may you have the best of health my friend.

Fadi.

Your words reminded me of Henry Rollins, one of my favourite singers and spoken word performers. He visits from America every couple of years, and a few years ago said to us in the audience, "I know it's a long way for me to travel, but if you're all prepared to come out tonight to listen to me, the very least I can do is get on a plane and talk to you." His sentence has since stuck in my mind about the humility and gift of giving.

If I may ask, you mentioned you were a fiery young man; was it the passing of time that gently shaped you into the person you are, or incidents in your life that forced or inspired change? Or both perhaps, or neither?

Your words reminded me of Henry Rollins, one of my favourite singers and spoken word performers. He visits from America every couple of years, and a few years ago said to us in the audience, "I know it's a long way for me to travel, but if you're all prepared to come out tonight to listen to me, the very least I can do is get on a plane and talk to you." His sentence has since stuck in my mind about the humility and gift of giving.

If I may ask, you mentioned you were a fiery young man; was it the passing of time that gently shaped you into the person you are, or incidents in your life that forced or inspired change? Or both perhaps, or neither?

Thank you for thinking of me in that positive light Nicole, that was very nice of you.

I may not have been clear enough in my earlier comment regarding being a fiery young man, sorry. It was Mr. Harry Wardle, my former AIS weightlifting coach who reminded me of that fact 20 years later during a phone conversation I had with him. Harry only knew me as a weightlifter, a young and fiery weightlifter according to him. I don’t know Nicole, I was too busy lifting to pay attention to how I was or wasn’t. But I must admit, outside the weightlifting platform I was a somewhat abrupt person when dealing with others. You can put that down to immaturity more than anything else.

You asked if the passing of time shapes a person’s life; indeed it does. We are the grand product of our experiences in life Nicole. As far as incidents or adversities are concerned? Adversity has been my best friend of all since the age of five.

You know a straight and narrow road traveled is but a boring and unchallenging piece of turf. Now put few bends into it, and you suddenly spring it into life. Some people wish for a straight road with no bends in it thinking that that is the best; that is to deny that reality exists.

I say all one has to do when a bend comes by, is to slightly turn that steering wheel and make the appropriate adjustment, no matter how intense that bend may be. So you see Nicole, people who make the turns in that winding road of life, always reach their destination at the end.

If you’re asking or wanting to know why or how it is that I am the way I am with people, the answer is very simple really; I see my own reflection when I look at you Nicole…and I genuinely love what I see; we’re all equal :).

Fadi.

You are an absolute gentleman Fadi.

Might I ask why you left the AIS?

Last edited:
You are an absolute gentleman Fadi.

Might I ask why you left the AIS?

Sure Ben and thank you for the compliment Sir.

Well as everyone here knows, there was a time when I was eating a huge amount of food which had a daily average of around 13500 calories! Weightlifters and only weightlifters had access to two meals where all other athletes had access to only one. At that time, I was having my two meals plus two of some of my colleagues and yet another one or two take away (in cold cuts or whatever we could take back to our rooms).

At 7am sharp you can bet that I'd be walking to the cafeteria for my 3500 calorie breakfast. Now the head chef/cook there was a Polish old man who for whatever reason on that particular day, refused to give me more potatoes claiming that the swimmers have not yet returned from their 4am swim session and therefore I won't be given anymore potatoes until they come back. I know now it sounds so damn silly that if it was not for real I would not have believed the story myself. I mean imagine this Ben, a young weightlifter of 18, having enough food to feed 5 people (not two), and yet having the audacity to complain about being refused a spud!!!:eek:

Now you know why I labeled myself immature and committing an immature act. Okay, back to the story...

I became furious at this chef's refusal to give me what I wanted that I began grabbing the chairs from around the tables there and throwing them in the air in anger! The funny thing is there was a huge buffet of milk, cereals, juices, bread, fruits etc...But no! This young stubborn 18 year old talented yet stupid weightlifter was acting like a little kid in a shopping mall when being refused some lolies or whatever.

Needless to say, a complaint was made about me by the chef to his superiors and from there to my two coaches. First I was given a lecture by the food establishment boss there and (as I thought at the time, to add salt to injury) was called to the coaches' office to "please explain". I became more furious and felt really insulted that I should even be questioned that as soon as the first question was asked of me, I dropped the bomb shell (not realising at the time of course that I dropped it on top of my own head) by telling both coaches that I'm leaving the AIS and will be calling my dad in Sydney to come and pick me up and take me home!

I remember to this day the look on the coaches' faces, they looked at each other with one with raised eye brows and the other with a dropped jaw! They said few words to the effect whether I was sure of what I was doing and I can't just pack my bags and leave, I've got a great and very promising career ahead etc. I walked out never to return to the AIS again. Sad but true in every word I mentioned above.

Why I reacted so "violently"? It may have had something to do with associating dignity with deprivation as a child growing up. As in to be denied something is to be robed of one's dignity. That was how my 18 year old mind interpreted the unfolding events surrounding this incident. Was I wrong? No of course; I was more than wrong. I was rude, naive, immature, and still growing up and finding my way in life.

Do I regret what happened? Never regret anything in life because it's all part and parcel of the lessons we a served on our life's journey. I live in the present whilst looking forward to the future by having learnt from the past. Thank you for your question Ben and I hope I haven't caused anyone boredom.

Fadi.

Last edited:
You ate for breakfast what I eat in a day :eek:

How did you work up to eating so much?

Just an ultra high appetite possibly due to the training adaptation and a -15 degree weather temperature (Canberra can get pretty cold Ben). This high calorie eating lasted for about 6 months only where even (listen to this Ben), milk could be digested with no problem whatsoever! I’m lactose intolerant if you didn’t know! I was having 3x600ml “MOVE” as part of my desert. Had there been more flavours than just the three (choc, straw, coffee), I would have had them all. I’m certain one would have had to have a side job just to be able to afford the food bill here.

But it was all paid for and I never took it for granted and still don’t. Helping out here is one way to show my appreciation to all the people (or the young people’s parents) who have obviously contributed to the life style elite athletes were afforded at the AIS and still being afforded. So thank you Ben and thank you all.

I don’t know if you’ve traveled overseas before, but I just love airplane’s food. Whilst travelling from Sydney to London (for a comp), we stayed over at Singapore for a night. Before getting to Singapore, I devoured 16 trays of the food served by QANTAS (who were one of our weightlifting sponsors at the time). So I arrived at Singapore a bit heavier than when I left Sydney. In Singapore we had an open food buffet which suited me to a T. By the time I landed in London about 48 hours later, I was 8kg heavier, which had me lift in the 85kg class instead of my usual class of 75kg. But it worked out well, because our 85kg lifter got sick on the way and lost enough weight to bring him down to the 75kg category. It was all about gaining experience and I sure gained more than my fair share of experience and…weight!

Fadi.

Fadi, thank you so much for your response. In the face of life's adversities, some cannot harness their anger and bitterness, others live with the air of defeat, and some like you learn and become wiser and greater from understanding and learning from challenges.

It's apt for me at the moment -- I'm facing a milestone birthday in a couple of months and oscillating between great philosophical calm that I'm fortunate to reach any age in good health and mind, but there's also swirling denial and anger about depleting youth and a life not lived to its full potential, although intellectually I know they're not important or perhaps even real. Finding the inner calm and what's important is difficult many days. Thank you for sharing your journey.

...but there's also swirling denial and anger about depleting youth and a life not lived to its full potential,
Two points here Nicole:

1. What is living to life's full potential and who sets the standards (if not you)?

2. Even when you do come to realise the answer to the above; would there be something, anything you could do now to change the past? The answer is most obviously no. Then why even entertain a thought, a notion that is beyond your reach? Let it go, only then you'd find inner peace and tranquility. Let the losers dwell on what they know they can't change; I don't think loser when I think Nicole.

although intellectually I know they're not important or perhaps even real.
No Nicole, they are both important and they are real because they are part of your past and who you are today because of it. But the point to remember here Nicole is that nothing you ever do today can ever erase that "missed opportunity" if you like, so why dwell on it and drain energy better served at the present moment?

Finding the inner calm and what's important is difficult many days.
Maybe so, but it would be a whole lot easier when you give all your energy for today and let none dwell on yesterday.

Thank you for sharing your journey
You're welcome.

Peace.

Fadi.

I think everyone would agree you need to publish a training and diet book in which you included your story and philosophy's of life! Thanks for sharing so much with us Fadi.

I am a relative new comer to this
forum and eating and working out thing.

However, I concur with everyone's opinion
and tag given to Fadi as "Yoda".

Just reading replies to posts from Fadi I
realise that he has vast knowledge in this
area and 'sometimes' yes 'sometimes' he get's
too deep with the technical stuff that I get
lost!!! :(... lol

Takes me another 15 - 20min to google all the
words and concepts to make sense of Fadi's
replies. Which in turn makes me more knowledgeable..

So Fadi my thanks for being so open and
giving to this forum.

Devante.
P.S. Now go answer my latest post Fadi about
motivation...
;)

I am a relative new comer to this
forum and eating and working out thing.

However, I concur with everyone's opinion
and tag given to Fadi as "Yoda".

giving to this forum.

Devante.
P.S. Now go answer my latest post Fadi about
motivation... ;)

Thank you Devante and sorry for getting a bit technical at times; I'll do my best to minimse it next time.

Fadi.

Thank you Devante and sorry for getting a bit technical at times; I'll do my best to minimse it next time.

Fadi.

Don't stress too much mate. I know everyone
who's got 'expertise' in any area starts
throwing out technical terms without even
knowing.

Thanks.
Devante.

giving to this forum.

Remember if things get a bit too technical and you get lost don't be afraid to speak out and ask some questions , someone is always willing to help out