• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Japanese nori omelette with vegetables

minithemeezer

4339664827_7a7823719c.jpg

Ingredients (one serve):

• Eggs (quantity you’d usually eat in an omelette)
  • Half a nori sheet, cut into fine strips with sharp scissors
  • Half a chilli, finely diced (optional)
  • Vegetables including carrot, asparagus, snow peas, capsicum, spring onion, zucchini, beans and mushrooms if you eat them (mushrooms are the devil)
  • Another source of protein if desired such as julienned firm tofu or a can of tuna
  • Soy sauce
  • Miso soup mix (a pack of 12 individual serves is available from the supermarket)
  • Sesame oil
  • The original recipe calls for mirin but most commercial brands contain glucose or corn syrup and I’ve omitted
Method:

• Pre-heat oven to a low heat (about 100 degrees Celsius)
  • Crack eggs in a bowl and stir through nori sheets. Season with salt and pepper if desired
  • Slice vegetables into strips (hard vegetables thinly and soft vegetables thicker so they cook at the same time)
  • Heat a pan to a medium heat (add a small amount of oil if not using a non-stick pan)
  • If using three eggs, pour half the mix into the pan and swoosh around gently to make a crepe-like omelette of even thickness. If using two eggs, pour the whole lot in
  • Cook the omelette until starting to set and turn to cook the other side
  • Put cooked omelette onto a plate, set aside and cook the second omelette
  • Place cooked omelettes in the oven to keep warm
  • In the same pan, stir fry chilli and vegetables (and tofu if being used) until they start to soften
  • Add a few drops of soy sauce, half the sachet of miso soup mix and a few drops of sesame oil. Stir and adjust flavourings
  • Incorporate the tuna (if being used) with the vegetables
  • Remove pan from heat and set aside
  • Place the first omelette on a plate, add half the vegetables along the centre and roll into a cylinder. You will see from the photo that I am poor at this so do as I say and not as I do
  • Repeat for the second omelette, admire your awesome handiwork for a few moments and serve
Variations:

• The recipe scales up to any number of servings
  • Omit Japanese seasonings and add a can of chilli-flavoured tuna
  • I haven’t yet experimented with leftovers for work lunches the next day, but I think re-heating vegetables and omelettes separately and constructing in front of your envious dim sim-munching colleagues will work

I'm drooling, will anyone make this for me and deliver to Sydney CBD? :)

Thanks for sharing!

Mouth watering, I'll try making one on the weekend. Just 2 questions, what is Nori and where do I get it? What is Miso soup mix?

Cheers,
Mike.

Katie, some online girlfriends and I invented the concept of Fat Couriers to mystically transport the wonderful baked goods in their blogs, but they never arrived! Fat Couriers might get an omelette delivered as it's not a flourless chocolate fudge cake *laughs*.

Mike, nori is also known as yaki nori or the green wrapping around California rolls. The Asian section of the supermarket will have packets with about 10 sheets. Crap, I took a photo of the miso mix but forgot to upload from home -- in the same section of the shelf look for miso soup mix; it's just a paste made of soy, fish and flavourings. A quarter stock cube might work as an alternative, come to think of it.

No lentils today, Shrek. I can write up a dhal recipe just to annoy you though :).

Nori is also called laver or toasted laver but nori is the more common name.
Hint; get Korean nori if you can.It has a sesame oil flavour.Maybe slightly higher on the cals. but the taste is worth it.

Mmm, any sort of Japanese food is so good..... I'll be trying this to get my fix of Japanese food since I can't eat raw fish for the next 8 months! That means no sushi :(

Nori is also called laver or toasted laver but nori is the more common name.
Hint; get Korean nori if you can.It has a sesame oil flavour.Maybe slightly higher on the cals. but the taste is worth it.

You know you're going to have me on an obsessive mission until I find the Koren nori now :). You had me reminiscing of a little Korean cafe in Sydney I could never find by myself, with awful decor and blocky old wooden chairs, but the kim chi and hot pots were to die for.

Katie, hmm, sushi -- I'll have double just for you *laughs*.

Rank has its privileges, hey?

500g red lentils :)

1 x 800g can crushed tomatoes :):)

1 tsp each ground cumin, coriander seed and turmeric :):):)

Want more?

:)

Don't listen to Shrek, finish the recipe :p

Also I've pinched your idea, sort of.
I beat a couple of eggs with a pinch of salt cook in a non stick frying pan. Then use the cooked egg as flat bread, we can put just about anything in it. yum.
Thanks for the idea,
Mike.

I have heard form numerous places and a few times that canned tomatos are bad bad bad.

Canned tomatoes are very bad for you. The cans that tomatoes are in, leaches a chemical that lines the cans into the tomatoes and tomato sauces. The reason is because tomatoes are so acidic that it pulls this chemical out and causes toxicity. What this does is causes serious heart disease, diabetes and a whole slew of other complications. What they recommend is buying tomato sauce and tomatoes in glass bottles.

^ I was about to swear in frustration that yet another thing is on the "It's slowly destroying your health" list, but thanks :).

Shrek, a change:

500g bottled tomato sugo, sauce or crushed and three diced tomatoes :)

For you, add a cup of brown lentils because I know you love them :):):)

1 onion, diced :)

2 cloves garlic, diced finely :)

the omlets sounds very nice, ill have to give them a go :) sounds like your similar to my gf, she hates mushrooms lol she can smell them a kilometer away...

the omlets sounds very nice, ill have to give them a go :) sounds like your similar to my gf, she hates mushrooms lol she can smell them a kilometer away...

Fungus is indeed the devil. But I'm actually allergic to them: when the allergist told me, I almost hugged her as it proved my paranoia and fear of mushrooms was justified :).

^ Took it with the phone's camera. I've been photographing meals so I remember what I can eat when I get sick of eating -- and I do it at work to bamboozle the workmates.