• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

General Newbie BodyBuilding Questions

L

Lord_Nikon

Lord_Nikon here , but you can just call me Sir :)

found a flyer for ausbb on the ground so decided to check this place out, i have been looking around the place for a little while only deciding to sign up last night , some good info around here , place might not be as busy as some other places i have looked at

enough rambling onto the questions

i have only just started getting interested in fitness/bodybuilding i've been hitting the weight room down at the gym in the hope of trying to gain some serious mass

My problem is this, i am little confused on what direction i should take , should i go for a full body routine straight off for a month or 2 or should i got a split routine?

With sets and reps when I am doing an exercise, for example when i am doing a leg press for 3 sets of 8 reps, do I set a weight that allows me do only 8 reps for the first set? If so how am i meant to complete 2 sets?

Also if Im on a split routine which calls for a muscle group to have 2-3 exercises wont I find it hard to complete 3 sets for all those exercises just to workout that one muscle group?

Sorry for allthe stupid questions but im new.

Thanks

My problem is this, i am little confused on what direction i should take , should i go for a full body routine straight off for a month or 2 or should i got a split routine?

Depends how often you can go to the gym. If you can only go once or twice a week, then a full body workout might be what you need. If yuo can go 3-7 days a week, then a split is better.

With sets and reps when I am doing an exercise, for example when i am doing a leg press for 3 sets of 8 reps, do I set a weight that allows me do only 8 reps for the first set? If so how am i meant to complete 2 sets?

Yes. When you stop, you rest between 30 seconds, and 4 minutes, depending on what you're after. In a 8 rep set, 2-3 minutes rest between each set is recommended. This allows your muscles to recover a bit, and get energy back. You may not be able to do the whole 8 reps again, but you certainly won't be doing just 1 or 2 after doing it, if you got enough rest in.

Also if Im on a split routine which calls for a muscle group to have 2-3 exercises wont I find it hard to complete 3 sets for all those exercises just to workout that one muscle group?

No. I do 4 exercises for 5 sets, and that muscle group doesn't get really tired till right at the end. If you're struggling, you can just lower the weight. As long as you get a decent amount of reps in, with correct form, it'll still build muscle.

If you have only just started then you should look at going for a a full body routine 2-3 days a week for the first 12 weeks

focus on the basics which should give you a good start
Incline Bench Press Squats
Leg Curls
BB Rows
SHoulder Press

after the 12 weeks is up you can then adapt the workouts

do a google for Rippletoes starting strength program. It focus on solid compound lifts and is perfect for you.

Start the program , eat big and eat well and you'll start to pack on the kgs.

Can anyone tell me where it is?
Any success stories with this program?