• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Beginners and Novices: Save your $$$

Fadi

First let me qualify who is a beginner and who is a novice bodybuilder. In my opinion, a beginner is one who is just starting out, whilst a novice is someone who has been working out consistently for no less than 12 months. To go further still, an intermediate bodybuilder is one who’s been at it for between 2-4 years. Then we have advance and pro. However in this article I’ll be dealing with the novice bodybuilder.

More often than not, the novice bodybuilder is full of enthusiasm, wanting to emulate the pro bodybuilders he sees in the bodybuilding magazines. Be it a workout routine or some sort of supplement a pro bodybuilder is marketing at the time; the novice wants a piece of that action.

I say don’t pay money, just pay attention! You’ll find a lot more dividends in listening to bodybuilders who have traveled the road before you then you’ll ever find and receive from any nutritional supplement or even anabolic steroids.

Why?!

There’s always that why question. In Olympic weightlifting the why question does not exist. If the coach says it or wrote it; you follow it or just follow the exit sign! Unfortunately that discipline is not to be found amongst young novice and aspiring bodybuilders (generally speaking of course).

Now before anything takes place at the cellular level of your body, where supplement X or steroid Y are going to play their magic, there’s something else that needs to be taken care of first. I’m not speaking about the psychological aspect of training here even though that in itself plays a huge part and has its own massive outcome, be it positive or negative. No, I’m restricting myself to the physiological aspect of training in this small article.

I’m speaking of the neural aspect that needs to take place as opposed to anything else that a new or novice bodybuilder will be facing as he or she progresses through the months of training. An example is in order here. Remember the time you went under the bar and attempted your first ever barbell bench press? How was it? Were you moving all around the place or were you solid and sturdy underneath the iron? Then when you’ve mastered the barbell bench and decided to move onto the d/bell bench, you had to learn to "walk" all over again. I mean what is going on here? That’s the nervous system getting slowly "educated" by your consistent and repetitive workouts to learn and move in the line of power that is safest and most efficient to progress.

Never underestimate the power of your neuromuscular system. Neuron is the nerve and muscular is the muscle. When put together these two begin to learn to "talk" to each other just as the baby learns to walk properly. So it’s not about strength and how much a novice can lift, but rather it’s about communication. Twelve months of what I like to call an intra-neuromuscular communication or INC for short.

But the novice bodybuilder as I’ve said before is really concerned about which creatine is best and which NO-Xplode this or Blow-UP that that is going to give him or her that bodybuilding edge. I say relax and listen to the ones who have paid their dues and I repeat and say, don’t pay money, just pay attention; it’ll be much more profitable in the long run.

Fadi.

Last edited:
i agree 100% fadi, ill admit ive tried a few different sups along the way. but im a newbie to lifting big weights... ever since iv read posts on this forum ive learned many things and i think the most obvious thing i noticed was the effects spoken of just via a good diet... training hard... and plenty of rest... my thanks goes out to everyone on this forum who posts their knowledge, and a big thank you to you Fadi, you have an endless amount of knowledge.
i hope to be as wise as you are when i get to your age mate. right now iv got alot of learning to do lol...

Last edited:
I tried a few different brands of creatine and followed the directions on the label. I also tried loading/maintaining/unloading.
I found that when I ran out of product and didn't resume taking it, I was no worse off. In other words, for me creatine did nothing. I haven't taken it for over 6 months and I'm still growing.
Over the last 4 weeks I've had a growth spurt of lean muscle and lost some abdominal fat (yaaaaayyy!) by changing food volume and timing.
I'm getting by quite nicely taking a protein supplement, fish oil, a multivitamin, but most importantly of all eating well.
I learned from trying different products (HMB, Testosterone initiators, metabolism accelerators, etc etc) that they don't work for me so I stopped spending money on artificial products and more at my fruit/veg and deli shop.
Tastes a lot better too.

well said Fadi, its amazing how when most people start all their concerned with is making a sucsess full lift, then after a while most are just concerned with the Pump.

Getting the body used to the movements (again) is what I am currently doing, more so than stacking on the weights. In BP, I find that if I don't concentrate on the movement fully, then my arms start waving around in the air, like a teeny bopper at a Hanson concert. Same with my squats, my legs move around more than I feel they should.

In the last couple of weeks, I have been limiting the amount of weight that I use, say 75%, whilst doing a few more reps than usual, in an attempt to train my body into feeling alot more stable. And it most definitely seems to be working.

The effort spent in not waving around like a tree in the breeze, is becoming alot less, I feel alot more supported, and now its time to start bumping up the weights again.

Thanks Fadi.

Screw me Monk,get rid of that tatt and you couldn`t tell us apart.
Oh, except I am waaaay huuuge!!!;)
I`ll get a back shot done and post it up.

Sorry for thread hijack:cool:

Where were you two years ago fadi? The money I wasted on creatine and fat burners back in the day was pathetic. I look forward to taking the full matrix of your recomended supps.

I will ask two questions though... Do you think creatine has a role in bodybuilding at all then? Do you use it or have you ever used it?
Posted via Mobile Device

That is so true Fadi !
The excitement takes over and you want to try everything you can to achieve the results you are after .

Hard work , dedication , good food and learning from guys like yourself is the best investment i think .

Thanks !

Where were you two years ago fadi? The money I wasted on creatine and fat burners back in the day was pathetic. I look forward to taking the full matrix of your recomended supps.

I will ask two questions though... Do you think creatine has a role in bodybuilding at all then? Do you use it or have you ever used it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Of course creatine has a role. It has scientific evidence to back it up, although I am a non-responder. Bad luck for me.

Posted via Mobile Device

Yes most definitely creatine has a role to play in the sport of bodybuilding and I only started using it in 2009, after 29 years of training. Creatine is one hell of a muscle cell hydrator, that is to say it's a master in loading your muscles with water and we all know that water, intracellular fluid (or cytoplasmic matrix) = strength! That is one reason I do not recommend anyone taking creatine before working out but rather after instead. To do otherwise would be like advising someone to have pasta before working out because carbohydrates are great for loading the muscles with glycogen. What has been forgotten here is the time factor. This type of chemical reactions (where supercompensation is involved) takes time and by that I mean days instead of hours.

So to take creatine just before working out and hope that it would get into the muscle cells to do its thing is like believing that that carbohydrate meal you’ve just head for lunch is going to somehow magically fuel your afternoon or evening workout; I don't think so!

Fadi.

Last edited:
Very interesting fadi. Muscletech claim nanovapor goes straight into your muscles but all I ever got from it was a massive caffenie crash.
Posted via Mobile Device

Very interesting fadi. Muscletech claim nanovapor goes straight into your muscles but all I ever got from it was a massive caffenie crash.
Posted via Mobile Device

I always laugh when I see the claims that are made by some companies regarding the energy we would derive from taking in their product; when I see the word caffeine! I say take the caffeine out then we'll talk with sincerity. Until then, caffeine is the major player as far as I'm concerned.

Fadi.

Its funny how they add caffeine to products that are meant to helpw ith muscle growth!

You'd be surprised Guache as to the way most bodybuilders think (or don't ). To most, it's about having a great workout with balls to the wall intensity. we can talk about that but that's not where my beef is right now. My issue is with that bodybuilder who simply does not care how he derives his energy and/or where does his energy come from to fuel such a high intensity workout.

Fatiguin what is already fatigued, as in the adrenal glands, will sooner or later come bite you up the back side. In fact this phenomena is already playing havoc in the bodybuilding world if only bodybuilders realise. But no, all you ever hear is the following statemnet: "I train like a madman and I force myself to eat all my food...so why am I not growing or gaining in strength?" Sound familiar Gauch, have you heard something similar?

My answer is because you have not trained with high intensity in a ligitamte way but more so in an arteficialy stimulated way, or rather a forced adrenaline stimulation way. It's one thing to walk into that gym after a good night sleep and a tranquil mind, and quite another to have had a shocking night sleep (I wonder why!!!) and a mind that is always full of anxiety, to then abuse what has already giving you a hint a hundred times over that "we've had enough being pushed around. Give us a break and let us do things naturally please." These were your adrenal glands talking no, screaming MERCY PLEASE!

Back to that bodybuilder who is supposedly doing everything right yet not adding any muscle gains to match his "hard work and top effort". You see Gauche, your adrenal glands are more than capable in regulating cortisol's release, but how can they when they have had enough abuse with caffeine and stressful living (or having a bodybuilder whose attitude knows not how to deal with life's stresses situation rather), how can they stop cortisol from munching on your hard earned muscles let alone leave you alone to grow new ones?!

Something to make one pause and reflect upon, wouldn't you agree my young friend?

Fadi.

Its funny how they add caffeine to products that are meant to helpw ith muscle growth!

You'd be surprised Gauche as to the way most bodybuilders think (or don’t). To most, it's about having a great workout with balls to the wall intensity. We can talk about that but that's not where my beef is right now. My issue is with that bodybuilder who simply does not care how he derives his energy and/or where does his energy come from to fuel such a high intensity workout.

Fatiguing what is already fatigued, as in the adrenal glands, will sooner or later come to bite you up the back side. In fact this phenomenon is already playing havoc in the bodybuilding world if only bodybuilders realise. But no, all you ever hear is the following statement: "I train like a madman and I force myself to eat all my food...so why am I not growing or gaining in strength?" Sound familiar Gauche, have you heard something similar?

My answer is because you have not trained with high intensity in a legitimate way but more so in an artificially stimulated way, or rather a forced adrenaline stimulated way. It's one thing to walk into that gym after a good night sleep and a tranquil mind, and quite another to have had a shocking night sleep (I wonder why!!!) and a mind that is always full of anxiety, to then abuse what has already giving you a hint a hundred times over that "we've had enough being pushed around. Give us a break and let us do things naturally please." These were your adrenal glands talking no, make that screaming MERCY PLEASE”!

Back to that bodybuilder who is supposedly doing everything right yet not adding any muscles to match his "hard work and top effort". You see Gauche, your adrenal glands are more than capable in regulating cortisol release, but how can they when they have had enough abuse with caffeine and stressful living (or having a bodybuilder whose attitude knows not how to deal with life's stresses rather); how can they stop cortisol from munching on your hard earned muscles let alone leave you alone to grow new ones?!

Something to make one pause and reflect upon, wouldn't you agree my young friend?

Fadi.

Last edited:
Most certainly fadi. It's not only the muscle building that I look to change. I woke up this morning when my alarm went off... No snoozing. I feel like I'm ready for the day ahead and I can't wait to hit that gym room tonight. It never occured to me caffeine was responsible for feeling like that.

In the body building scene most of us look up to people who abuse these basic health guidelines to cheat their way to the top, whatever the expense. I have certainly never come across a forum or group of people so set on doing things the healthy way and it truley is inspiring. Fadi as long as you don't tell me to give up sex my ears are open to you!! :)
Posted via Mobile Device