• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gaining a gut

S

Soontobeex-skinny

Hi guys, I'm 18, 185cm (6'1'') and 78kg. I've been bodybuilding for the past month and a half and in that time have gained 4kg.

Issue I'm having is though... I'm gaining a gut. Now I don't mean just some inevitable babyfat, I mean a bulging gut. Ontop of it I have gained quite a bit of flab aswell, but the most noticeable thing about the changes I have seen in my body is the huge gut I've gained. After eating the size of it drastically increases and as such I am hopeful that it is just a result of eating such a large amount of food, but as the days go by I'm more and more unsure.

So my question is: How much of a gut should you expect to gain when bulking? What is acceptable? How can I go about reducing it (generally speaking)?

How much is acceptable? As much as what you think is acceptable. I'm thinking the size now is causing you to worry. Maybe its time to end the bulk and start a bodyfat cut?

Now I don't mean just some inevitable babyfat, I mean a bulging gut.

Mine does the same, from the volume of food. I'm not worried about it.

How can I go about reducing it (generally speaking)?

After eating the size of it drastically increases

You just answered your own question mate.

Don't eat as much.

But, don't expect to gain weight at the same time.

For the more knowledgable fellas around here to answer your question more specifically, you would need to post up your exact goals, as well as what you eat in a day.

Your diet is what we need to know. If you have gained 4kg in a month and a half, chances are most of it would be fat. If you do want to get bigger, gaining fat is going to be something that will happen. Just don't go adding 10% of fat to your frame.

You are doing well if half of what you add is lean mass and half fat. You bulk up gaining muscle and fat, and later on lose fat while maintaining the muscle.

On some people, the fat will be mostly in one place. Oh well, you'll live. It's easier to lose a gut than gain big legs.

Lift like an ox, eat like a horse, sleep like a log.

As far as your gut bulging,I get the same after a big meal.Are you eating all your calories in 3 meals or 5-6 spread out over the day.

Hi guys, I'm 18, 185cm (6'1'') and 78kg. I've been bodybuilding for the past month and a half and in that time have gained 4kg.

Based on your forum name, I can tell you're sick and tired of being a tall and skinny young man. Now the issue with the gut could be one of two things (and possibly more).

1.Too much eating at one sitting
2.Eating the wrong type of food for you.

We all know what too much eating is; so see if you can break your meals further into smaller ones.

Eating the wrong thing could be eating anything that would cause you some form of allergy/inflammation. I’ve been talking about milk a lot here lately and I’m suggesting that you take a look at this liquid food first as a possible cause to you accumulating fat around the midsection area due to the powerful hormones it carries. Excess calories can turn to fat and from there can be deposited into two places as two different types of fats.

1.Subcutaneous fat. This is body fat that is close to the skin's surface and is considered less dangerous, and easier to lose, than visceral fat.

2.Visceral fat. This fat is different from other body fat. Visceral fat, also called intra-abdominal fat, refers to the fat that surrounds the internal organs.

You may be depositing more visceral fat than subcutaneous fat, which is serving to push your stomach out and give you that
bulging gut
you've mentioned in your post above.

The other direction to look at would be your workouts. If you don't stimulate your muscles enough to give them a reason to adapt and grow, then you should expect to add more fat than muscle.

My advice to you is to not make a conscious decision to eat more, but let your training dictate your eating habit based on the way it (your training) would influence your appetite. Give yourself some time and do not force the issue of weigh gain.

Fadi.

Last edited:
i have had this same problem. im 186, i started at 72 kilos about 5 months ago. now im up to 86 kilos, some of it has been fat around my mid section, but i feel i have put on a fair bit of muscle bulk too...

question fadi, in regards to the milk issue, would DIM (something you spoke about in a previous thread) help to dissolve the issue of the estrogen (fat store)? or do you just consider it best to cut back on milk all together... because i too am considering either trying DIM or just cutting back on milk intake (even if its only a glass or 2 a day i really like the stuff lol)

Soontobeex-skinny, mate if you have gained 4 kilos in the last month and a half some will be muscle and some will be fat. since your still in the beginning stages of weight training you will most likely bulk muscle a bit quicker than others who have been in it for over a year lol, if i were you id just keep track of the foods your eating, maby read over a few of the diet options posted on this forum. and just keep training hard man! you will see good results if you follow the basics shown here...

question fadi, in regards to the milk issue, would DIM (something you spoke about in a previous thread) help to dissolve the issue of the estrogen (fat store)? or do you just consider it best to cut back on milk all together... because i too am considering either trying DIM or just cutting back on milk intake (even if its only a glass or 2 a day i really like the stuff lol)

It would be best to do both Jman. That is cut down on milk and at the same time supplement your diet with DIM. From an estrogen point of view, hormones are carried around by fat and are fat soluble. That means there's less estrogen in low fat milk and zero in skim milk. But as I've stated before, my issue with milk is more than just a hormonal one.

Fadi.

My advice to you is to not make a conscious decision to eat more, but let your training dictate your eating habit based on the way it (your training) would influence your appetite. Give yourself some time and do not force the issue of weigh gain.

Heed fadi's advice here.

The workout is the key, having said that-using exercise as a means of weight control is speciou at best, it's more what you put in your mouth and how much.

Instead of viewing you diet as a day to day look at it weekly, you would actually be suprised how little actual food is needed for a weekend warrior, not a full time proffesional.

Issue I'm having is though... I'm gaining a gut. Now I don't mean just some inevitable babyfat, I mean a bulging gut. Ontop of it I have gained quite a bit of flab aswell, but the most noticeable thing about the changes I have seen in my body is the huge gut I've gained. After eating the size of it drastically increases and as such I am hopeful that it is just a result of eating such a large amount of food, but as the days go by I'm more and more unsure.

So my question is: How much of a gut should you expect to gain when bulking? What is acceptable? How can I go about reducing it (generally speaking)?

Could be just your stomach stretching from all the food. If you worried about actual fat gain around the mid section try some fat calipers.