• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

military press

J

justo327

hey all just a ques on m presses should i lower the bar to chin or high chest

collar bone but i dont touch it just in case i bottom out :eek:
I would also HIGHLY recommend a weight belt for that exercise.

A weight belt? You cannot be serious, surely. The whole point of a standing Military Press is to build core strength as well as shoulder strength. Using a belt takes all the core out of it. Weird.

If you are not touching your collarbone you are not doing it correctly.

Rather than fussing about where the bar should rest just ensure your upper arms are all the way down. By your side.

from what i can see he is a beginner to the exercise.. Too many times i have seen people load up and start wriggling around putting themselves at risk from injury. Myself personally i dont wear one. I understand the point in the exercise is to work the mid-region stabalizer muscles as well. But its no point if your gonna throw out your back while learning to lift it. Otherwise get a spotter if u can.

Just start with a weight you can handle. Doing any exercise too heavy will risk injury.

Personally, I think i started MP with just the bar and worked up from there.

Yep, don't be a hero. Just start with 20kg and gauge what you think you can handle. Also, I would love to see what a spotter can do with the MP? It is probably the hardest lift to spot I reckon. Unless you are just talking about being there in case they fall backwards or something??