• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Meat.org | The Website the Meat Industry Doesn't Want You to See

Shocking footage but i'm afraid nothing will stop me eating meat :( my body craves it. I'll lean more towards halaal prepared meat however.

Most of the footage is from US industrial farms, doesn't really apply to Australian ones.

Our egg and broiler hens have similar conditions, and like the Americans, the male chicks are killed straight away.

However, cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, ducks and so on are kept in much better conditions here. Absolutely they can improve.

The average Aussie eats 110kg of meat and fish annually. That's much more than we need for nutrition, and more than most people should have for their health, since they get lots of nasty heart-destroying saturated fats with it.

But it's because we eat so much meat and fish that we have nasty agri-industry stuff, and drag net fishing, and so on. I mean, there's no other way to produce that much meat and fish.

I don't think we should eat no meat and fish. That's because good farming practices have animals involved. The cows eat the grass, poo it out, the poo fertilisers the land which can have plants growing on it next year. Then the cropland gets left fallow for a year, then turned to pasture, and so it goes round, a nice natural cycle. But if we have animals, some of them will die; if they're going to die anyway, we may as well eat them.

So we should definitely eat not lots or none, but less meat and fish. 10-30kg each annually is plenty, provided we have a good diet otherwise. And if there's less demand for meat and fish, they won't have to keep animals in such conditions.

that's messed up.
Government should really regulate the farming practices more strictly. KFC as an example in US is notorious for their mistreatment of chickens. Everything from cutting their beaks to injecting them with estrogen for increased breast size to killing them without initial electricution.

Nando's claim to be free range, but I don't know how far that's true.

But like Kyle was saying, majority of that is US footage. I try to stick to free range

If these animals ever turn on us then god help us all. Free range is the biggest crock of shit ever. Mankind is unkind.
AZZA

After seeing this video I have decided to try a vegetarian diet for 1 month to see how I go.

If vegetarian, make sure you eat heaps of nuts, beans, and more dairy and eggs.

If vegan, more nuts, beans, and get some vitamin B complex supplements.

I don't advise going cold turkey, though - so to speak. Better just to reduce your consumption first. Work out what you eat in meat and fish now, halve it, see how you go for a month or so. Then halve it again, and so on until you get to a single 100g portion of meat and 100g of fish each week.

Everyone's body reacts differently to dietary changes, sudden changes can give you constipation or the squirts, and nutritional deficiences can ruin your training.

If these animals ever turn on us then god help us all. Free range is the biggest crock of shit ever. Mankind is unkind.
AZZA

Are you sure about that?

From what i've heard ( I haven't researched into it deeply), free range legitimately is drug free and cage free. The animals are raised in open area such as green pastures and fed naturally. And the slaughter process is also controlled such that they are electric shocked before being slaughtered.

I heard that free range chickens are still kept in a cage, just less of them in there which gives them room to move around

After seeing this video I have decided to try a vegetarian diet for 1 month to see how I go.

Not trying to discourage you (and infact, congratz on trying to make a change) but how is becoming vegetarian gonna change the situation for those animals?

A government body really needs to intervene and control the environments that the meat is derived from. In US, f*** all is happening in terms of that.

Not trying to discourage you (and infact, congratz on trying to make a change) but how is becoming vegetarian gonna change the situation for those animals?

If all the vegetarians around the world decided to eat meat again, there would be an increase in the demand for meat. This would lead to increased production to satisfy the demand. But if everyone did the opposite such as becoming vegetarian, this would decrease the demand for meat consumption. This in turn would mean mass farming of these animals would stop. So by my change in diet, it would cause a microscopic decrease in the demand for meat. lol. But over time, if more and more people went vegetarian, it would make more of a difference.

I know other animals in the wild eat meat but I know I can survive quite well on a vegetarian diet.

I have a question, do you think there are more vegetarians in the world now than there was say 100 years ago?

When I cook for myself I tend to go vegetarian anyway. My twin brother is already vegetarian but my parents are not. A lot of people today are vegetarians.

Lets see if I can do it though.

Last edited:
It won't. But he won't be personally responsible for it anymore. That's about as much as an individual can do.

BoyFromAus said:
A government body really needs to intervene and control the environments that the meat is derived from. In US, f*** all is happening in terms of that.
Your second sentence explains why we should not wait for the first one to happen. Our governments don't have a great history of being responsive to the desires of their people.

Just in Australia in the last decade, GST, anti-terror laws, indefinite detention of refugees, invasion of Afghanistan, invasion of Iraq, preventing action on climate change, censorship of internet... need I go on?

We shouldn't wait for the government to make it mandatory for us to do what we think is right, but just go ahead and do it anyway. We don't wait for them to pass a law telling us to be strong and fit, even though our being strong and fit won't make a difference to the rest of the country - it's still good for us.

Same goes for a lot of stuff. We live in the way we think is right regardless of what others do or don't do. So if someone thinks it's right to be vegetarian, they ought to go ahead and do that.

If vegetarian, make sure you eat heaps of nuts, beans, and more dairy and eggs.

If vegan, more nuts, beans, and get some vitamin B complex supplements.

I love chick peas, lentils and beans. I also eat lots of nuts such as almonds and cashew nuts. We buy eggs from a boy up the road that keeps them in his back yard (free range) and I mostly drink Soy Milk. I even mix my protein powder with Soy Milk.

My brothers ex girlfriends father worked at a piggery and said the pigs sit in their own excrement all day and night.

LJ: for every piece of steak you dont eat, im going to eat two :)

be careful with humanising animals.

hmm what about organic meat/eggs?

Certified organic meat:
-range freely on pasture;
-not be given growth promoters (including antibiotics)
-eat feed produced without synthetic pesticides
-have no genetically modified inputs.

dunno about the slaughter process though

If all the vegetarians around the world decided to eat meat again, there would be an increase in the demand for meat. This would lead to increased production to satisfy the demand. But if everyone did the opposite such as becoming vegetarian, this would decrease the demand for meat consumption. This in turn would mean mass farming of these animals would stop. So by my change in diet, it would cause a microscopic decrease in the demand for meat. lol. But over time, if more and more people went vegetarian, it would make more of a difference.

I know other animals in the wild eat meat but I know I can survive quite well on a vegetarian diet.

I have a question, do you think there are more vegetarians in the world now than there was say 100 years ago?

When I cook for myself I tend to go vegetarian anyway. My twin brother is already vegetarian but my parents are not. A lot of people today are vegetarians.

Lets see if I can do it though.

True. It will make a difference if you go veg. But yea, the efficacy of it is microscopic compared to if there were actually enforced standards on the meat industry. Regulations which disallowed such things from happening as cutting chicken beaks and torturing them in such a way as shown in the video. Basically, monitoring of living conditions as well as slaughter conditions.

But like Kyle pointed out, government hasn't done sh*t and bodies like ISO 9001 firstly have extremely vague standards, nor do they need to be enforced.

I've been sticking to free range and organic for years now, with the hope that they live up to their claims.

Free range chickens are pretty much a load of shit. They have lower density living but they only have to be allowed access to free range outside. The hybrid meat chickens grow so quickly they can barely walk (often break legs etc) so they often don't make it to the door on the other side of the barn before being collected for processing.

Organic makes me laugh too, because all meat is organic. If it wasn't it would be inorganic which would make it a brick. Organic is used as a marketing term to distinguish a set of standards for food, density etc. but even the best standards at the moment aren't that flash.

A standard meat chicken lives for 6-7 weeks before slaughter, with many not making it due to growing too quickly. Some people raise the hybrid meat chickens at home and can get them to live a bit longer. Mine are to be killed at around 20 weeks. They're normal breed of chicken (Black Australorps), though some I have crossed with Indian Game to get a bigger bird. Meat chickens come to Australia as great-great-grandparent eggs (give or take a great-) and are hatched, then crossed and hatched then crossed over and over until they get to the last couple of generations who have the growth rates they want and the resulting chicks are then sold to be grown out on the farms.

As for egg layers, they use patented hybrid birds that are sex-linked so the males can be culled at hatching (you can't cross a male and female ISA brown or Hy-line and get chicks with the same capabilities). A lot of people buy these for their backyard thinking they'll be great layers but a well selected pure breed will lay just as well, if not better as they're bred to be raised in the backyard. Layer hybrids perform great in aircon sheds with specific water and feed being input. The chickens get their beaks clipped so they don't go eating each other. If any chicken gets a wound the others will peck at it.

The standards for chicken farming are pretty bad, but people want cheap chicken and a lot of it. In the area I have for my chicken pens I could keep over 2000 chooks at the allowed density. Apart from my chicks of various ages, I'll have about 8-10 rotating through 6 pens plus free-ranging my back and front yard. There is no way I can pump out chicken cheaper than buying it, but it tastes a shitload better and they live a decent life.