• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Soreness in hip when squatting

S

Soontobeex-skinny

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and to body building. Recently whilst squatting I've had some problems with my hip.

To give you some background: For some years now I've had an occasional problem with my right hip involving a sharp pinching sensation. I get it rarely but it has been happening for some years now.

During the last 3 workouts, during the squats, the pinch in my right hip has returned worse than ever. It's very sore, but bearable throughout the lift. However, after I've finished working out it aches very severly. I struggled to walk home on all three occasions.

Has anyone had a similiar problem? Does anyone know what it could be (one idea someone has told me is that it could be a pinched nerve)? Does anyone know how I could prevent/treat it? Should I see a physiotherapist about it?

Many thanks in advance.

i had a lot of hip soreness when i started a few months ago - before, during and after squats. now i am sore for the first and second warm up sets and that's it. if there's an underlying issue it can't hurt to have someone look at it.

I would wager a fair bit of money that it's a form problem. Post a video of you squatting and see what drops out.

Alternatively head on over to Mark Rippetoe's Q&A forum at startingstrength.com and run a search for 'hip pain' or 'hip pain squats' and read on (I will almost guarantee that you'll find an answer to your question this way).

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and to body building. Recently whilst squatting I've had some problems with my hip.

To give you some background: For some years now I've had an occasional problem with my right hip involving a sharp pinching sensation. I get it rarely but it has been happening for some years now.

During the last 3 workouts, during the squats, the pinch in my right hip has returned worse than ever. It's very sore, but bearable throughout the lift. However, after I've finished working out it aches very severly. I struggled to walk home on all three occasions.

Has anyone had a similiar problem? Does anyone know what it could be (one idea someone has told me is that it could be a pinched nerve)? Does anyone know how I could prevent/treat it? Should I see a physiotherapist about it?

Many thanks in advance.
That is a rather broad discription, can you be more specific?
Where in your hip..groin, side, back, etc?

As stated above, post a video of you squatting so we can see your form, and either describe properly where there pain is or draw it on an anatomy chart in mspaint and post that.

Thanks for the responses guys. I apologise for being a bit vague.

I feel the pinch in the side of my hip. It's hard to draw on a diagram exactly where is it though.

To give an update on it though, today I squatted again and actually didn't have any problems with it at all. This is after making some tweaks to my form. A few of the problems I think I had was that I was just sort of falling into the bottom of the position and loosing tightness there, I was also squatting deeper than is necessary and on my ascent I rose with my legs first and got myself into a semi-goodmorning position with the bar.

Anyway, I'll make updates to this thread if the problem returns. Cheers.