• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Saw the new Robocop last night. I thought it was pretty good, despite the low RottenTomatoes score. It's a great update to the original, which is getting is starting to look a bit old with its awkward outdated CGI. Even better if you haven't seen the original and think this is a brand spanking new movie. Anyway, I was thoroughly entertained and highly recommend it.

A Million Ways to Die in the West
A Million Ways to Die in the West - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The second movie from Seth MacFarlane set during the Wild West of the 1800s, and naturally being a comedy. I was really looking forward to this; I love westerns, comedy and the writing of Seth, so what could go wrong? The story is pretty thin and cliché in a way. A cowardly sheep herder loses his girlfriend before meeting a new woman who shows him how to enjoy life and stand up for himself. The story is only really there to string the jokes together, which are funny when they hit. But the problem was this is a long movie and there are massive gaps between jokes. I'm used to the Family Guy where the gags are pretty much non-stop, full of throw-away characters and scenes. It seems to be a common trend when TV show writers try to bring their writing to the big screen; the pacing is just off. Critics have also given this film a bashing, which I think isn't fair. It's not a horribly bad movie; I was just expecting a story with a bit more depth and jokes.

220px-A_Million_Ways_to_Die_in_the_West_poster.jpg

Fearless
Fearless (1993 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A bit of a weird film that has rave user reviews. The film starts with a plane crash landing into a farm; about half the people die, some are injured, and others walk away from it. Max, the main character, walks away from it and is remarkably calm. He walks straight from the crash, rents a car and visits a nearby ex girlfriend before returning home to his family who fear the worst. The rest of the film is about Max's 'fearless' and care-free personality change after the near death experience. His family are glad to have him back, but he now resents them. He also contacts other survivors to help them deal with their stress. This movie started out interesting, but then lost its direction. I just didn't see the point the movie was trying to make. I honestly don't know what all the fuss was about by people who had seen it. I would give this a miss.

220px-Fearless_ver1.jpg

Casablanca
Casablanca (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A 40s' classic that most people have heard of. I knew of its existence, but had no idea what is was meant to be about, so it was time to check it out. I had also heard the name can be used to describe the plot, being 'blank'. The story is centred on a bar in the town of Casablanca, Morocco. The town is used as a gateway between Europe and America during WWII. Many interesting characters travel through and visit Rick's bar. It's a point of intersection between army personnel, immigrants, expatriates, smugglers and murderers. One night, a patron asks Rick to hold onto 'letters of transit' that let anyone travel between countries freely (no such thing in real life). The man has murdered people to get the letters, and is soon arrested for murder, leaving these highly prized letters in Rick's possession. Soon after, a woman shows up in Rick's bar. The woman is an ex lover when the two resided in Paris before the Nazis invaded. They were scheduled to leave on a train to start a new life, but she stood him up. That's all I'm going to say without giving away too much of the plot. I was quite surprised by this and found it enjoyable with an unravelling story. It's very dated in terms of look and even set during WWII, but I would recommend it.

225px-CasablancaPoster-Gold.jpg

Bowling for Columbine
Bowling for Columbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lastly a documentary that came out during the height of US panic after the Columbine school shooting and September 11th. I had seen this probably 10 years ago soon after it was released, but I didn't really remember it and thought it would be good to look back after so many more school shootings in America. Surprisingly there is little about the actual Columbine shooting events and most of the documentary is about gun culture in America and trying to figure out why the gun death statistics are so high compared to other countries with similar populations and gun ownership. There is far too many segments and statistics to discuss here, but it boils down to the US media feeding the public with tragedy after tragedy, scaring them to a point where they feel they are constantly under attack by everything, and then the corporations selling them products that make them feel 'safer'. This really is a great documentary and is still as relevant today as it was when it was released in 2002. I will try to track down and watch more Michael Moore documentaries.

220px-Bowling_for_columbine.jpg

Watched Blended, it was actually quiet a good film, Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler go well together,

Transcendence was a bit of a let down, I had hight expectations for this film and felt let down with it,
seemed like a good concept and a good lead actor, just didnt deliver for me.

Edge of Tomorrow was awesome, and I hate Tom Cruise yet he did a great job on this film
it was a good mix of groundhog day with a futuristic sci-fi, was quiet funny watching
Tom Cruise continuously die,

The grand Baptist, ive attempted to watch this 3 times and have fallen asleep 3 times,
great cast boring storyline, rated very high on IMBD, Ijust cant get into it

I finally got to a list of documentaries I've been meaning to see.

Lake Of Fire
http://en.wikipedia....Fire_%28film%29

This is a documentary giving both sides of the abortion debate. There is no bias in this film, giving advocates for either side their chance to state their views. Personally, I'm amazed that this ever became such an issue. On one side you have Catholic Christians who 'think' the bible is against it, and then you have every other group/religion who give women the right to chose what happens to their body. The reason I say 'think' is because it's quite obvious the bible can't be trusted with some of the statements it makes (the world is 6000 years old, the world was created in 7 days, creationism), so when is loosely states that a life begins as soon as the sperm enters the egg, the science behind it just can't be trusted. And some Catholics even believe sperm dying without impregnating an egg is a sin and needs to be stopped. Sorry, I got a bit ranty, but the reasoning behind one side of this debate by a small yet loud group is completely flawed. The film goes over the introduction of abortion clinics in America during the 90s and the rage it ignited. Especially when so called 'pro-life' supporters started to murder doctors who performed abortions. Christian groups would also buy up the surrounding properties of abortion clinics and picket women who are already making a significant heavy weighted decision. There are numerous interviews giving logical and philosophical advice as to why giving women the right to have an abortion is beneficial to society (significant drop in crime rates since legalised), but it's like debating with an autistic child having a temper tantrum. I know this review got a bit lengthy, but it's a topic that angers me because innocent women and doctors have been died for no sensible reason.

220px-Lake_of_Fire_poster.jpg

Artifact
Artifact (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jared Leto from 30 Seconds to Mars began filming the progress of creating the next album for the band. However soon into this project there were contract problem with record company EMI, and the documentary took a turn to show the legal struggles musicians face when contacted to international record labels. I'm sure people into music will get a lot more out of this than I did, as it's gotten great reviews. As someone who doesn't know much at all about the music industry, it was eye opening to see how the money moves around. Basically the band is just a cow ready for the milking for all the middle management and production companies. After the first few albums after everyone has been paid off, bands are in so much debt that they have to keep producing albums for decades before they break even. This film also gets into the restructuring of the EMI hierarchy where people with no music experience are calling the shots. If you're a fan of the band or the music industry you'll like this.

220px-Artifact.jpg

Mansome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansome

A Morgan Spurlock documentary about male grooming. It lightly touches on topics of metrosexuals, beards, shaving/hair and creams for down there. After the documentary I was feeling like I hadn't really watched much of anything, but a few barely famous men in their own circles talk about nothing in particular. It turns out the critics thought the same, as no one really liked this. I guess the film had no real direction, statement or question it was trying to put forward, which is something I've noticed with a lot of Spurlock documentaries. This feels like a made for TV 1-hour special stretched out to a feature film. I wouldn't bother with this.

TeidTC.jpg

Born Into Brothels
http://en.wikipedia....n_into_Brothels

From one documentary that didn't really have a point to one that will really get to you and have you doing hours of research the moment it finishes. Zana Briski moves to India short term to make a documentary about the lives of prostitutes in Calcutta. Her documentary soon changes direction as she has inadvertently found a bigger issue, the children of the prostitutes. With India's cast system, these children have no rights, are refused entry to schools and are expect to be prostitutes themselves as soon as they're physically possible. After befriending the children, she embarks on getting the necessary paper work to send the children to boarding schools where they have a chance at a normal life. During this lengthy process, she gives the children cameras and teaches them photography, allowing them to tell their stories through photos. Some children even get photos selected for an art gallery where the proceeds could get them out of poverty. This was filmed 10 years ago, so it was interesting to see what has happened since. I highly recommend this.

Born_into_Brothels.jpg

Jesus Camp
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Jesus_Camp

Lastly, another Christian politically driven documentary about the indoctrination of children during summer camps. I had heard about this for some time and had a hard time finding it. This film really is a thing of beauty in the way it's filmed. If you were an ultra conservative Christian, you would watch this and think it's excellent at showing Christian beliefs and should be watched by everyone. If you're a hardcore atheist you also would think this is an excellent film and should be shown to everyone about Christian extremists. There are so many jaw-dropping moments in this that I can barely scratch the surface. The camp leader is disappointed that Christian children aren't as passionate as Muslim children who willingly give their lives up for their religion, climate change isn't an issue because Jesus will fix it when he comes back, a 5 year old breaks down in tears because he was directionless in life but has now found Jesus, and adults wanting to get to children before they turn 7 years old as once something is in their head, it's set. There is just so much cringe worthy content here. You'll be screaming out for an opposing view point when the Christians are preaching and using their logic, but because the film stays neutral, it makes this something special.

220px-Jesus_Camp.jpg

Christine
http://en.wikipedia....%281983_film%29

A 80s classic about a car with a murdering lust for blood. Right from the production line a worker falls asleep in it and dies from carbon monoxide poisoning. At first you're not sure if the car has supernatural powers or it's all just a coincidence. Fast forward 20 years and the car now sit abandoned where a geeky high school student, Arnie, buys it to restore. As the car is transformed, Arnie is also transformed into a dick with attitude (which is what he needed) and ends up dating the hottest girl in school. Mysteriously students who bullied Arnie are now turning up dead. This movie has been parodied a bit, most famously by Futurama. I was expecting a cool horror movie about cars, but in the end it's just another average 80s' movie.

250px-ChristinePoster.jpg

The Heartbreak Kid
http://en.wikipedia....%282007_film%29

A Ben Stiller rom-com from male the perspective about marriage. You know how most rom-coms go; girl is interested in dude who is oblivious to her existence, they date, he does something mediocre the upsets her, she cries and thinks it's the end of the relationship, and then they get back together. The male version of this is; girl and dude dates, all is well, dude perpetually thinks about what it would be like dating other women, they get married and life goes on. This starts out like a typical rom-com, but then takes an interesting turn. Eddie is worried about taking the plunge into marriage, but upon speaking to family and friends, they all reassure him it's right for him and his relationship. Right from the moment of saying 'I do', his seemingly perfect wife starts to show her flaws. This continues on during the honeymoon where it's constant disaster after another where Eddie's wife is at fault, clingy and obnoxious. Everything Eddie was worried about before marriage is now validated. He then becomes friendly with a girl at the same hotel and they both really click. Being a comedy, there are plenty of one liners and gags. I found this much more entertaining than I was expecting. I think recently I've started to appreciate Ben Stiller movies a lot more. I would recommend this.

220px-Heartbreak_kid_2007.jpg

Transformers: Age of Extinction
http://en.wikipedia....e_of_Extinction

The latest Transformers movie out in cinemas. For anyone who has read my past reviews on Transformers or superhero movies in general, you'll know I'm not a fan of them. They are all just far too bland, formulaic to keep the franchise going and rarely tell an interesting or unique story. But that's ok; I've made my peace with these movies and know they aren't targeted towards me. This movie felt on par with all the past movies; big budget, flash machines and continuous smash-cut filming so you're left feeling dizzy. Overall it felt solid and the quality you expect, with various filming locations. There was also a nice surprise with some rallycross being thrown in. After the movie my opinion on the franchise hadn't changed, nor did I expect it to. But I was shocked to hear multiple Transformers fans complain about the movie. This has terrible reviews as well, based on things I've been saying all along with past movies. Has the world finally gotten over this 80's cartoon reboot that wasn't that interesting in the first place? Fans seem to be complaining that the trailer promised Dinobots, but they didn't come into the movie until the last 10 minutes. The relationship between the father and daughter also really annoyed me throughout the movie; the father is constantly hanging shit on his adult aged daughter for having a boyfriend, who seems respectable enough. Really, how did this subplot/running gag make it into the script?

220px-Transformers_Age_of_Extinction_Poster.jpeg

The Lost Boys
The Lost Boys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A 80s' vampire film with many well known names of the time. This actually started out ok in typical 80s' style of a shirtless man rocking out with a saxophone. A family moves to a new town known as the murder capital of America. Everything seems normal enough except for the regular occurrence of people going missing at night. As the 2 brothers try to make friends in the new town, they run into vampires and armature vampire hunters. The vampires are actually depicted respectable and somewhat scary. A cat and mouse game ensues as the brothers try to uncover who the head vampire is before more people are converted or killed. It wasn't until the final showdown that this movie really lost its way and became a typical campy 80s' movie we all roll our eyes at. Overall it wasn't too bad and something I would recommend for young teenagers.

220px-Lost_boys.jpg

How To Train Your Dragon 2
How to Train Your Dragon 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The sequel to the surprise hit How To Train Your Dragon. The original intended for children, got rave reviews and was right up there with Pixar as a movie that both adults and children could enjoy. The first movie was about a Viking village that lived in fear of the local dragon population. The dragons would destroy the village and eat the livestock. The chief's son befriends an incredibly rare dragon and the village learns to embrace the dragons and use them to benefit the village. This does sound like a typical kids' movie, but it's done very well. This movie picks up 5 years on where the dragons are now in danger of being captured by a Viking who wants to rid the world of dragons. That's all I'll say about the plot without giving anything away. This movie is just as lively and top notch as the first. If you haven't seen the first movie, these movies are like Harry Potter meets dragons. Everything is so full of life, vibrant yet interesting and mysterious. Great details have gone into the dragon models and each is as unique and interesting as the last. It's as if you're watching a David Attenborough documentary about dragons. I highly recommend this for kids and adults.

220px-How_to_Train_Your_Dragon_2_poster.jpg

need for speed 6.5/10

actually wasn't too bad for a new car movie.

I hope they don't make 50 of them like the fast and furious ones.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
http://en.wikipedia....net_of_the_Apes

I've always been intrigued by the Planet Of The Apes series, even with the horrible costume designs of the early franchise. I think because it's a concept of an apocalypse combined with an alternate history where apes are the smartest creatures controlling the world. The latest movies are a reboot based on the original series. The originals series had 5 movies in total where the last 3 were prequels. I think with the latest series they are doing it in a more linear fashion taking bits and pieces from the 5 movies. I think this is a better approach as they can fix some plot holes in the original films. This movie explains the origins of how apes became intelligent. You also get to see the first true smart ape come to grips with the awareness of his environment. It kind of makes you think how you would behave if your mind was trapped in an ape's body. Overall this is done very well and had me entertained as the story evolved. I think the reboot of this series will be better than the original films.

220px-Rise_of_the_Planet_of_the_Apes_Poster.jpg

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
http://en.wikipedia....net_of_the_Apes

The sequel to the above movie currently out in cinemas. This has more of an apocalyptic element as this picks up 10 years after the first movie. A disease, as a result of humans coming into contact with the drug that made apes smart has wiped out 90% of the world's population. Cities have been run down, electricity has been lost and humanity can't communicate outside of their group of survivors. Still set in San Francisco, the townspeople go to investigate the nearby hydro electric dam in hopes of powering the city. Here they run into the apes that want nothing to do but be left alone. However with dodgy characters on both the human and ape sides, conflict ensues. I wouldn't call this a great film as bits of the movie did drag on a bit and you could tell they were setting up the next film in the series, but it's probably one of the most entertaining films you'll see this year. The apes look incredibly real, probably the best animal CGI to date. I would recommend this if heading to the cinemas any time soon.

220px-Dawn_of_the_Planet_of_the_Apes.jpg

Hobo with a Shotgun
http://en.wikipedia...._with_a_Shotgun

A modern day Canadian exploitation film. I only really put this movie on my list as it had Robb Wells from Trailer Park Boys in it. However it was pretty ironic that he was killed off within the first 5 minutes of the movie. Essentially this movie is about a hobo arriving in a new town looking for a homeless-friendly city, only to find the town is ripe with corruption, murder and everything horrible. After falling victim to crimes and being exploited, he takes matter into his own hands and becomes a vigilante with a shotgun, taking out all criminals he sees. Exploitation films can't be judged or rated in the same way as regular films; otherwise they would all have 0 stars. You have to go into them knowing it's a D-movie. Everything is exaggerated, plots points are left loosely explained and continuity is optional. This isn't really a movie I would recommend unless you're into this genre.

220px-Hobo-with-a-shotgun-movie-poster.jpg

[MENTION=15941]steveP[/MENTION]; This was a good one from Michael Moore also...

really opened my eyes to Regan and what he really was = a puppet. (The fact his 2IC was telling HIM to hurry up his speech lets you know who was pulling the strings and for what end).

Really shows how the US got itself (and a lot of other countries with them) in the shitter.

Lucy
http://en.wikipedia....%282014_film%29

Recently in cinemas, I wasn't particularly excited to see this. From the trailers it looked like just another Hollywood sci-fi movie with no real direction where things blow up. Then to add to this, the whole premise of the movie is based on a myth/bro-science that we only use 10% of our brain, and this will be a guide on how to unlock this potential. However right from the get-go, I could tell this wasn't the movie I was expecting. It took random yet purposeful turns in the plot and the violence wasn't held back like most PG action movies. As the movie went on, it became more science fiction and verged on the concept of The Matrix with influences of 2001: A Space Odyssey mixed in. Reading reviews, people really dislike this movie seeing it took this direction, however I really enjoyed it as it was unexpected and unpredictable. The only way the sci-fi element could upset you is if you're retarded to think this movie is based on fact. This is a very underrated movie and I highly recommend it.

220px-Lucy_%282014_film%29_poster.jpg

Match Point
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Match_Point

Another movie starring Scarlett Johansson as the female lead. Like many movies, I put them on my list, but by the time I get around to seeing them, I forget what they're about or why they're even on the list. The name of the film, poster and opening 5 minutes made me think I've gotten myself into some English tennis film; this was going to be chore to get through. However soon into this I released it had nothing to do with tennis, and was in fact a masterpiece. Chris is a tennis pro who has semi retired due to an injury, and is now employed within a rich English community. It is here that he makes new friends and finds a love interest. Even though these people are extremely prestigious and he's relatively a nobody from a poor background, they welcome him into the community due to his charm. He gets engaged to his partner, who is the daughter of an extremely wealthy businessman. With being accepted into the family, he scores a routine office job run by the father with an impressive salary; basically setting him up for life. Everything is going well until he meets his brother in law's girlfriend, who he falls head of heals for. She, like him, comes from a poor background, however isn't as warmly accepted into the family. I won't say much else as it will spoil the plot, but Chris ultimately has to choose between being set up for life or pursue this girl and risk it all. This may sound a little dull, but the ending is extremely powerful. It certainly shocked me. This is one of those movies where when the credits start rolling, you just need a moment to yourself to process what you've just experienced. This could be one of my favourite movies of the year.

215px-MatchPointPoster.jpg

The Game
http://en.wikipedia....%281997_film%29

A David Fincher film from the 90s I never got around to seeing until now. Watching this, a lot of the movie felt familiar, which I guess is a result of lots of other movies taking inspiration from this. A wealthy businessman, Nicholas, has turned into an emotionless shell and lives by himself in a mansion. On his birthday he meets his loser brother for lunch, who gives him a gift card and says it's a gift like no other. Barely taking notice of it, one day Nicholas stumbles across the business on the card. He goes in and they run tests on him, all the while never really revealing what they do. The following day he receives a call from them and they inform Nicholas that he didn't past the tests. After this point things start to get weird; the nightly news TV anchor starts to talk to him through the TV, people are following him, his brother meets him mumbling about people looking for him, and his bank accounts are wiped clean. All the while the viewer suspects that this is part of some type of reality game. However as the movie goes on and as there are murder attempts on Nicholas' life, you start to doubt yourself with what's really going on. I certainly did not see the ending coming, and even after the movie is finished you're not actually sure what to believe. Definitely a great movie people should go back and see.

220px-TheGame_poster323.jpg

Born on the Fourth of July
http://en.wikipedia....July_%28film%29

A loose sequel to the film Platoon, based around the Vietnam War. Where Platoon (which is one of my all time favourite war movies) was about and set during the war-zone, this deals with the aftermath of soldiers coming home and integrating back into society. I'm not a Tom Cruise fan, but he gives one of his best performances in this and it certainly launched his career. At a young age, Ron looks up the veterans of WWII, who are paraded through his home town. As he finishes high school and with the Vietnam War going on, there is no doubt in his mind he wants to become a Marine and fight for the USA. However over there, he is disillusioned with why the USA is even there as they barely know the good guys from the bad. Unfortunately during this realisation he gets shot and becomes paralysed. As he left as a young man with his life ahead of him, he experiences a shock to see how his family and friends react as he returns from war as a young paraplegic. For some it's too much to bear. Eventually he befriends other Vietnam vets as he looks for meaning in his new life. It's movies like this that really make you appreciate the relatively safe society we live in these days. It also opens your eyes to the ugly side of war that rarely gets a mention. This is a very powerful movie that really grips your attention.

220px-Born_On_The_4th_Of_July.jpg

This is the Movie that won this years Academy Award for best Film. A great Movie. Based on a true story. Get on it kunce.

Last edited:
i quite enjoyed the new TMNT movie, I dont take any movie to seriously and had a few laughs 8/10. Much Much better then the first

Anyone seen The Equalizer 2 yet? Can't really take a chick to see it hey?
I liked the first one, but the sequel seems a bit full on, hope I'm wrong.

Anyone seen The Equalizer 2 yet? Can't really take a chick to see it hey?
I liked the first one, but the sequel seems a bit full on, hope I'm wrong.

Not if she’s new, she’ll think you’re a bit of a dumb kunce if you enjoy it too much.

Take her to a Strip Show or a XXX Movie Theatre and make it clear that this is what your into and this is how its going to be when you get back to your place later that night.