• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Curious why guys do this

while my legs are growing, my calves in particular (which are the visible part when wearing shorts) are lagging behind the rest of my body; not due to lack of training, but -
If your training is not getting you the results you want, then you could just shrug and blame genetics, or you could change your training.

If your training is not getting you the results you want, then you could just shrug and blame genetics, or you could change your training.

There's nothing wrong with my training program. Results are forthcoming. Regardless, genetics will dictate the growth rate of certain areas over others; which does differ between gender, race, and so forth.

The calf muscles (in particular the gastrocnemius) - are highly dictated by genetics. There are plenty of clear studies which look solely at racial differences in the 'normal' development of the gastrocnemius which shows greatly different shape, size, and growth capacity.

This is not to say that we cannot train the muscle. No one has even suggested this to be the case. Regardless, such a myopic viewpoint in relation to "training" in general, does not serve any purpose, or help anyone.

Last edited:
The Governator would disagree with you. I have noticed a diff in calves when I have trained them alot...but its alot of time and effort for such a little muscle all the way down there. Effort that could be better used elsewhere

Spot on - I completely agree.

I haven't read any responses to this post yet.

However, speaking from experience, do not judge people based on what you think you know about them.

As any of you would see (from my progress pictures via the Members Pics section) - I used to be severely underweight until my early 20's ... well past my growth / maturation stage.

Regardless - I train my legs religously - and while my thighs (Quads, Hammies, Glutes) are responding very well ... my calves, of which are a known problem to many people, are not responding. In addition to this, my wrist and ankle circumferences / breadths, are dreadful - which you'd see from my progress pictures mentioned earlier.

Nothing infuriates me more, than someone saying to me: "why don't you train your legs?" , when I actually do so. Because, while my legs are growing, my calves in particular (which are the visible part when wearing shorts) are lagging behind the rest of my body; not due to lack of training, but due to the obvious fact that some of us grow differently, and certainly, calves are a known trouble-area for many people.

In short?. Don't pass judgement without knowing history first.

The people he is talking about dont train legs.

Look i dont care what your genetics are like if u squat properly you will have results.
Dont use genetics as an excuse to have bigger forarms then quads thats just ridiculous.

The people he is talking about dont train legs.

Look i dont care what your genetics are like if u squat properly you will have results.
Dont use genetics as an excuse to have bigger forarms then quads thats just ridiculous.

No. He's talking about people who he believes are not training legs. People who have a disproportionate ratio of muscle mass from upper-to-lower body. You cannot pass judgement on others based solely at looking at them. It's disrespectful to say the least. Much the same as people assuming natural bodybuilders are on steroids. It's incredibly inappropriate, and as usual, it's the jealous no-namers who sit in the background, or on forums who are the ones whinging / passing judgement at others.

No. He's talking about people who he believes are not training legs. People who have a disproportionate ratio of muscle mass from upper-to-lower body. You cannot pass judgement on others based solely at looking at them. It's disrespectful to say the least. Much the same as people assuming natural bodybuilders are on steroids. It's incredibly inappropriate, and as usual, it's the jealous no-namers who sit in the background, or on forums who are the ones whinging / passing judgement at others.

I disagree.. I see what people do in the gym and i see the end results from what they put in.

I see guys do 4 different exercises one after another but no legs ever.
These guys have bigger forearms then there quads.

its just utter madness.

But hey i dont coomplain it means that the squat rack is ALWAYS empty unless they are being heroes doing curls in it.

In my city there isnt even a hack squat. No sweep for anyone here. Squats are king and pay huge rewards for those prepared to work hard.
AZZA

I have squatted 205kg and I'd bet I have the smallest calves on the forum.

I did as much calf work as any man ever has. My brother has cows, not calves, never done a set.

Dad had huge calves, mum had tiny, guess who got what.

The stupid thing is the more I squatted, the smaller my calves looked, due to the comparison.

Nicholas has a good point, I look at other indicators to determine how a "lifter" trains.

I did as much calf work as any man ever has. My brother has cows, not calves, never done a set.

The stupid thing is the more I squatted, the smaller my calves looked, due to the comparison.

Nicholas has a good point, I look at other indicators to determine how a "lifter" trains.

i was going to spend 30 seconds searching youtube for a vid of a guy with small calves doing a big squat but youve saved me the trouble :p

edit: i did it anyway
[YOUTUBE]q57pbfmApOE[/YOUTUBE]

agreed totally.

Calf raise machines are one of the biggest scams in the history of man.

As for those bringing up the arnold remark: Arnold looked like a greek god at age 19 natural, and I bet you if anything his calves were more brought out by his 500~ squat and 700 deadlift than his calf raises.

What crap.
I had the tiniest calves in history, but through perserverance and hard training I have at least I have reasonable calves. They will never be super impressive but better than those little twigs on the guy squatting 200kg.
I much prefer to squat only 150kg and have decent calves at least i can wear 3/4 pants. :)

What crap.
I had the tiniest calves in history, but through perserverance and hard training I have at least I have reasonable calves. They will never be super impressive but better than those little twigs on the guy squatting 200kg.
I much prefer to squat only 150kg and have decent calves at least i can wear 3/4 pants. :)

Nothing wrong with twigs on a 200kg squatter! :p

agreed totally.

Calf raise machines are one of the biggest scams in the history of man.

As for those bringing up the arnold remark: Arnold looked like a greek god at age 19 natural, and I bet you if anything his calves were more brought out by his 500~ squat and 700 deadlift than his calf raises.

According to Arnold himself he went from ignoring calves to training them 6 days a week, spending 45mins on them a day doing calf raises, donkeys etc. Thats what he said made his calves respond. If squatting and deadlifting big brought out his calves he would never had to resort to training them so much.

According to Arnold himself he went from ignoring calves to training them 6 days a week, spending 45mins on them a day doing calf raises, donkeys etc. Thats what he said made his calves respond. If squatting and deadlifting big brought out his calves he would never had to resort to training them so much.

ok so where are we now? guys with small calves may in fact squat 200kg, but guys with big calves may have them from spending 4.5 hours a week training their calves. so in fact big calves, rather than small calves, could be an indication that the individual trains terribly? ;)

i just measured my calves and theyre 16", is that big?

Arnold also went from powerlifting on a bodypart split in europe to juicing with weilder and co around the same time.

And Shrek, there is the major difference between you and I.

Appearance means nothing to me, performance does.

I come from a sporting background, I learnt very early to never underestimate an opponent based on appearance, just as I was never overawed by somebodys appearance.

The term looks like Tarzan plays like Jane is a favourite of mine.

Congratulations on building good calves, pity you couldnt do the same building a decent squat :)

Well big calves exude power, skinny calves don't, I know what I prefer.
Being big is more intimidating then not regardless of the muscle.
If I have big quads and calves and walk down the street heads will turn weather I squat 50kg or 250kg, scrawny legs (calves included) will not turn heads weather I squat 50kg or 250kg.
Appearance is m ore important to me than performance but I know the appearance that I aspire too will have reasonable performance anyway.
Thanks

ok so where are we now? guys with small calves may in fact squat 200kg, but guys with big calves may have them from spending 4.5 hours a week training their calves. so in fact big calves, rather than small calves, could be an indication that the individual trains terribly? ;)

i just measured my calves and theyre 16", is that big?

I dont think that was the point he was trying to make, arnold wanted to be and compete in bodybuilding so every muscle has to be big and defined.

From my view someone that does a weight lifting program can really neglect calves.