• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Not your regular begginer

Grunta

Packing a Huge Member
Sorry to start another "what program would you recommend for a begginer?" thread, but this one is a little odd as far as goals are concerned.

What training package would you put together for an 18yo kid who has these goals:

1. Want's his upper pecks to "look ridicoulus when he's rocking a low cut Tshirt".
  2. Want's "mad bis" in a t-shirt when he "going off at da club"
That's it, I'll try to translate this into English, but for now, here is my problems:
He won't do power stuff because "it will slow him down on the field" (plays soccer).
Won't do squats because he doesnt want his legs to look like a rugby player (not in a life time, just doesn't have the genetic potential to be EVER confused for a rugby player) and has a wordrobe of skinny jeans he doesnt want to replace.
Can't convince him that tris are the larger proportion of the upper arm because "the bis is what it's all about" (English - believes it's what the girls find attractive)
He's not at all interested in working the back or shoulder muscles, as "its a waste of time and he doesnt want to get big"

English translation, want's to improve his look to increase his chances at picking up girls when he goeas out.
(I suggested getting his hair cut on BOTH sides of his head, using less spiking glue, getting rid of his sisters jeans and stop dancing and start drinking, but apparently my boat sailed last century)

At the moment I have him doing:
incline BB
Incline DB
Pulley cross overs
EZ bar curls
BB curls
Db curls
With the hope to talk him into some tri work.

Question is: what do I do with him? (cant drown him, he's family :mad:)
How do I hang a chest and some arms off an anorexic body?
Any other execises or combos that might get him moving in the right direction?

I can see the LOLs comming already, but any serious advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
He needs to work and work hard, the larger muscles of the body to stimulate the endochrine system, which inturn increases the production of testosterone to facilitate muscle growth.

Like dropping a stone in water and watching the ripple effect.

Yeah that's a great idea lets do all this chest and bicep work with no back work. That's definitely not going to fuck his body up.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2

He needs to work and work hard, the larger muscles of the body to stimulate the endochrine system, which inturn increases the production of testosterone to facilitate muscle growth.

Like dropping a stone in water and watching the ripple effect.

Agree 100%, figure let him do what pop culture dictates as a start, get him to pump the muscle up a bit where he wants it, then him him with "if you really want to grow.........."

If h doesn't listen to you telling him what he should be doing then just refuse to train him. Some people are not coachable and it's not worth your time. Plus you won't have a possible shit storm coming your way when he doesn't et the results he wants and fucks up his body.

Yeah that's a great idea lets do all this chest and bicep work with no back work. That's definitely not going to fuck his body up.

Bit dramatic, he's an 18yo active, anorexic kid, there is no hope he'll develop chest and arm to any size that may cause any imbalance problems. At best he'll get a pump, get excited and see the light.

Agree 100%, figure let him do what pop culture dictates as a start, get him to pump the muscle up a bit where he wants it, then him him with "if you really want to grow.........."

Sounds good to me.

Do a set of dumbbell flys to fatigue, then straight to a press of some sort, pre_fatigues the pecs nicely.

When he's doing the BB curls, tell him to lean into it at the top (full contraction) and as he lowers the bars lean back slightly.

This maintains constant resistance, really works the bicep nicely, and burns like hell.

I would steer WAY clear of that... I can understand you wanting to help out family however if, as everyone else mentioned you give him a chest and bi's program, as soon as his shoulders start to round forward, he is going to have all sorts of troubles and in the eyes of the rest of the family your going to be the bad guy...

I'd tell him do his own program, not worth the headaches it's going to cause you down the track...

Bit dramatic, he's an 18yo active, anorexic kid, there is no hope he'll develop chest and arm to any size that may cause any imbalance problems. At best he'll get a pump, get excited and see the light.

Stick with him.

Its a good plan.

We quickly forget we where all the same, intrinsic motivation.

If he is super skinny the only way he is going to grow, is to eat more, no food no grow.

Obviously he know nothing..so trick him, get him doing pulls, and just say they are great assistance execises for Bis, just dont mention back, pullups, bent over rows, ( help load up glutes and hammies a tad). will help maintain a bit of shoulder health aswell.. And most pushing ie chest exercises will bomb the triceps to a certain extent.

OR get him to actually talk to chicks, while most do like a nice chest and arms, they laught at little boys with chicken legs!!!

I had finished my workout and sitting down as I usually need to after my workout and noticed a huge amount of skinny kids doing bicep curls, not all together but scattered around the gym.

My first impression was, what the fuck are these kids doing?
After some time looking at these kids, I started observing how useful the standing BB curl is and what a good introductory exercise it is.

These kids are working hard, we all started with BB curls.
Builds forearm strength
Back and thighs working, the downward pull of the bar working the shoulders and neck.

More often than not we tend to go from one extreme to the next, throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Last edited:
[MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; ,while technically correct, that is exactly what this kid does NOT want to hear, god forbid hard work gets results....

The tact I would be taking is show him some pics of "built" gay guys and then telling him even these poofs have to work back and legs not just bench once a week and bis twice

Sounds good to me.

Do a set of dumbbell flys to fatigue, then straight to a press of some sort, pre_fatigues the pecs nicely.

When he's doing the BB curls, tell him to lean into it at the top (full contraction) and as he lowers the bars lean back slightly.

This maintains constant resistance, really works the bicep nicely, and burns like hell.

Sounds good, as soon as he blows his muscles up a tiny bit, it will show as he's at about 0% BF.
This will give him the motivation to train the parts he hates, then long term, hopefuly learn to love.

[MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; ,while technically correct, that is exactly what this kid does NOT want to hear, god forbid hard work gets results....

The tact I would be taking is show him some pics of "built" gay guys and then telling him even these poofs have to work back and legs not just bench once a week and bis twice

In the first sentance, I'm not sure what you mean Ned.

Kids make me laugh, he seems like a toss pot that has no idea and does not want to be told.

I would let him do what he wants and tell him you are there when he is ready to train properly, and leave it up to him to make the decision.

That being said all that benching will work the tris anyway, so at least he is working his whole arms and chest.

Then tell him to check out the legs on some top euro soccer players, and then let him tell you that squatting will hinder his game

Last edited:

Because 18 y/o can't get postural problems leading to things like shoulder impingement or lower back pain etc... Don't get me wrong he can get away with it for a bit but it will eventually catch up with him. But that's just me, I like the idea of having a good looking body which also works how it's meant to. But hey if he wants to have rounded shoulders and a hunchback, go for it, I'm sure the ladies will love it.

Because 18 y/o can't get postural problems leading to things like shoulder impingement or lower back pain etc... Don't get me wrong he can get away with it for a bit but it will eventually catch up with him. But that's just me, I like the idea of having a good looking body which also works how it's meant to. But hey if he wants to have rounded shoulders and a hunchback, go for it, I'm sure the ladies will love it.

Could not agree more.

I would give him the right advise and if he does not like it leave him to stuff up his own body. Tell him you are there when he is ready to listen.

Don't get me wrong, he's not a stubborn brat, I can just see what motivates him and he came clean with me and told me what he wants and and why he doesnt want to do the other stuff.
If I was to bash him with the regimented, "shut the fuck up, get in the squat rack, onto dead lifts, stop whinging onto the bench now" approach, he would hate comming into the gym. He would feel fucked after each workout, would affect his soccer and I know he would not coninue.
At moment he nearly hits the ceiling when he walks out, energised and pumped, loving it, I bet he checks his biceps all the way home. He's keen as hell, never late and gives it his best.
Its too easy to hit him with the negatives on day one, he would do what I tell him, but he would also fade away quickly.
I have explained the long term road to him, but also agreed to first try and help him with his short term initial goal.
I can see a lot of him in myself, when I first walked into a gym in Nov 1990, I was not interested in squatting, or deadlifts, that was for hairy, fat old farts who couldnt get a root in a brothel. Chest, arms, chest arms, that's what kempt me motivated.

If he is super skinny the only way he is going to grow, is to eat more, no food no grow.

Obviously he know nothing..so trick him, get him doing pulls, and just say they are great assistance execises for Bis, just dont mention back, pullups, bent over rows, ( help load up glutes and hammies a tad). will help maintain a bit of shoulder health aswell.. And most pushing ie chest exercises will bomb the triceps to a certain extent.QUOTE]

This I like, 3 sets of chinups to "pre-exhaust" the bis before the workout, "makes em grow huge", he'll like that ;)