• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
[MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION] can you please edit this to "Bench Press - what would you recommend as an alternative/s?"

and give [MENTION=9251]Darkoz[/MENTION] a Mod neg :p thx

I say try all methods of pushing and pulling, settle on moves that don't cause pain after a protracted period, I think most unfortunately the bench press has caused more shoulder problems than solved.

i only say that because a lot of dudes use this exclusively with not much pulliin going on.

The barbell bench press is cool, just like all exercises, but as a pec builder you might be better off flying or picking up boulders.
as a triceps exercise it's a beauty but probably safer options like push downs.

but after 30 years of workouts under the belt you should know what's hot and what is not.

Last edited:
an equally unnecessary movement for chest, just like deadlifts. there are so many choices to do, flies, dumbbell bench press, dips.

but, for those who may get upset yet again, if that is your choice of exercise for chest, then do them. I do.

You know Goosenator, I found the BP to leave my Chest feeling hollow.

I say try all methods of pushing and pulling, settle on moves that don't cause pain after a protracted period, I think most unfortunately the bench press has caused more shoulder problems than solved.

i only say that because a lot of dudes use this exclusively with not much pulliin going on.

The barbell bench press is cool, just like all exercises, but as a pec builder you might be better off flying or picking up boulders.
as a triceps exercise it's a beauty but probably safer options like push downs.

but after 30 years of workouts under the belt you should know what's hot and what is not.

keep it simple please. apparently there are exercises that do everything at once. maybe deadlifts are one of those magical exercises.:eek:

The Dead-lift

Yank that bitch off the floor, and then drop that bar like its hot, slam it down!
the negative is not necessary.

this is one exercise that requires a strong bod, not sure it really builds one.

The Dead-lift

Yank that bitch off the floor, and then drop that bar like its hot, slam it down!
the negative is not necessary.

this is one exercise that requires a strong bod, not sure it really builds one.

I agree. well put.

Been thinking about this for a week or two, you beat me to starting a thread Stiffy.

I tend to do flyes a lot more than presses and haven't flat barbell benched for a long time now. In bodybuilding terms, I think the flye and even db presses are superior.

Been thinking about this for a week or two, you beat me to starting a thread Stiffy.

I tend to do flyes a lot more than presses and haven't flat barbell benched for a long time now. In bodybuilding terms, I think the flye and even db presses are superior.

Yeah well I'm not too sure about anything being superior, maybe it should be worded like " a better option for some people"

Superior for myself, not really talking about anyone else.
Everyone will find they get better activation and/or results from some movements rather than others, you just have to find what works for you

Superior for myself, not really talking about anyone else.
Everyone will find they get better activation and/or results from some movements rather than others, you just have to find what works for you

"Yes"
would of been sufficient lol

I actually get a good pump/workout in chest from bench press alone.

my mate, who did 180kg clean many moons ago, has very little chest development.

What about different Bodily structures giving different results. Some kunce more suited to Benching?

What about different Bodily structures giving different results. Some kunce more suited to Benching?

At the end of the day you need to produce a template that works (strengthens) the complete shoulder girdle, a strength imbalance leads to greater risk of injury, so you've got mix it up, and not over weeks or months but over years.

The barbell bench press is a great exercise, it is just a coincidence that it's also a regulatory lift in powerlifting