• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Motivation - Loosing Gut - Hot Weather.

k_21

Fellow lifters,

I have a question that I would like everyone's
opinion/s on.

As you may have seen Melb is having a bit of a
early summer this year. I say awesome except when
it reaches past 33c!!

In any case I've been at the gym 4 days a week.
However, last week it all fell apart since the hot
weather rolled in! That is to say as most don't have
air con (I assume) harder to get a good nights sleep.
Hence after work I've been really tired and skipped
gym:eek:. Yes 'bad boy'!

Further, I don't see much improvement which also
has discouraged me a little.

When you add all of this up (tiredness + not much
results + hot weather = lack of motivation).

Anyone else have this type of challenge? How does one
get past it? Especially the not getting results part!!??

Greatly appreciate your comments/opinions.

Devante.

You know what to do.

It's too hot, so you're not going to the gym.

Now, you're not getting results.

Consistent effort over time gets results. Inconsistent effort here and there whenever you feel like it gets nothing.

However tired you are, go to the gym anyway. You will then find yourself even more tired at bedtime, and will sleep through the heat. Then you will get better sleep, and some results.

In his latest newsletter Markos linked us to this nice advert.

[youtube]obdd31Q9PqA[/youtube]

Devante.... Yep - kyle certainly answered your question. Great vid, I've sent it to work and will be passing that around.

Here in Canberra we have been getting up to 33 this week...hot and dry...and i am forcing myself out for a walk at lunchtime. Come back, have a shower and feel re-energised for the afternoon office - yes office - onslaught.

I've been paying more attention this week to my body...when I haven't walked and worked out, I've had poor sleep...when walking and working out, great restful sleeps.

As and alternative, if it is available to you, in the hot weather go swimming. Be mindful though that even doing laps, you will sweat and get hot!

If you can't swim, have a lesson or two. There was this one time, at swim camp...I couldn't even swim a lap of a 25metre pool.! I just kept plodding away, i felt embarrassed, but I kept plodding away and kept swimming more and more laps everyday....eventually I was swimming 2k without break! Effort+attitude=results.

I agree with Kyle about just going to the gym. My motivator when i don't want to do the gym is go, start with a longer cardio session to wake up and energise. Get the blood going mate, watch the lifters and before you know it, you be on the weights yourself and feeling good.

I've downloaded the vid....its great!

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
None of this means you should work out when you're actually sick or injured.

But most of the time we're not sick or injured. We're just being wusses. I say "we" because I do it, too ;)

None of this means anyone has any moral duty to work out. We have a duty to be medically fit, but that doesn't take very much in the way of physical activity. But if you have certain health, strength, fitness and physique goals, then you should get off your bum and do the work to achieve those goals.

Just get going and give it your best.

Guys,

Really good advise and I agree 110% with all
of your comments.

I do have to confess though. My training regime
has not been going so well for the last 2 weeks.

I'm back to smoking!!:mad: And my eating is very
unreliable! <--(Jack a$$ comes to mind!!)

In any case I'll get it together. The only reason
I asked about training in HOT weather was that
I used the treadmill Tuesday at home when it was
about 30's. 3hrs later I had the WORST migraine and
wanted to chop my head off!! (I reckon it was
dehydration...)

Thanks for the support and advice.

Devante.... Yep - kyle certainly answered your question. Great vid, I've sent it to work and will be passing that around.

Here in Canberra we have been getting up to 33 this week...hot and dry...and i am forcing myself out for a walk at lunchtime. Come back, have a shower and feel re-energised for the afternoon office - yes office - onslaught.

I've been paying more attention this week to my body...when I haven't walked and worked out, I've had poor sleep...when walking and working out, great restful sleeps.

As and alternative, if it is available to you, in the hot weather go swimming. Be mindful though that even doing laps, you will sweat and get hot!

If you can't swim, have a lesson or two. There was this one time, at swim camp...I couldn't even swim a lap of a 25metre pool.! I just kept plodding away, i felt embarrassed, but I kept plodding away and kept swimming more and more laps everyday....eventually I was swimming 2k without break! Effort+attitude=results.

I agree with Kyle about just going to the gym. My motivator when i don't want to do the gym is go, start with a longer cardio session to wake up and energise. Get the blood going mate, watch the lifters and before you know it, you be on the weights yourself and feeling good.

I've downloaded the vid....its great!

cheers
Dave

Another Canberran, awesome! Its been FARKIN hot this week ay champ. Ive been sweating it out in the tin shed gym or my garage.

I find the heat drains the energy out me, sets I could complete last week I cant do in the heat, its frustrating!

Devante, nutrition plays a massive part in results at the gym. If you are not having good results maybe a play around with your nutrition will help?

Josh_GTiR,

I was thinking the same. However, I'm at a loss how to
undertake this.

At the moment I'm on 4 meals a day. Seems hard to get
the 6 in.

My challenge is that my mid section doesn't seem to be
loosing much fat. The "tire" is hanging around far too
long :eek:.

Example/s would help me.

Thanks
Devante.

Check out Fadi's 2200 and 2800 Cal diets in the nutrition section.

Devante, you don't have to eat 6 meals a day, 4 is fine - it might even help you lose fat if you can control how much you eat at those meals. As for the 'tire', the mid section is often the first to gain weight and last to lose it so even if you don't think you are losing fat try looking at other parts of your body - arms, legs, back, a$$, etc.

Lastly always remember why you are doing it, especially when it gets hard. When you're going for that extra snack ask yourself do you REALLY want to change, I mean REALLY - put that chip packet back!! You'll only regret it later. It's not easy but it's not forever either.

In any case I'll get it together. The only reason
I asked about training in HOT weather was that
I used the treadmill Tuesday at home when it was
about 30's. 3hrs later I had the WORST migraine and
wanted to chop my head off!! (I reckon it was
dehydration...)
Again, you know what to do. But since you obviously want us to tell you:

Stop smoking, and drink lots of water.

Feel better? :)

LOL.. thanks for the words of encouragements ;).

My breath doesn't smell like A$$ but close to it!!

Thanks gents.

Guys,

Dude give the durries away! I smoked for 16 or so years....normally around 2 packs per day....up to three when on the grog! I've been off the smokes since 1991...never looked back.

I was with my work crew today...only one smoker...because of him the room stunk!

Bluey - yep hot this week.

cheers

[youtube]obdd31Q9PqA[/youtube]

Great youtube flick!
As for OP. Buy a cheap Coles fan, point it straight at you and sleep. If not straight at you, atleast get some air circulation through the room. It should help get you some sleep on the hotter nights. Get heaps of water through you during summer. I get about 4 litres on average.

BTW. the warm weather's great. I'd hate to hear what you'd say if you were in Adelaide. They had themselves a decent heatwave pre-summer!