• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Lose Fat / Maintain Muscle

Hi Fadi,

a few questions regarding this program...

1) what sort of rep cadence do you use? ie quick, explosive reps, or slow controlled, or just a normal speed?
2) seeing as i do not actually know my daily maintenance calories, what would happen if i were to have a calorie surplus? (i have a fast metabolism)
3) in weeks 4 to 6 when you are performing multiple exercises in a row, should there be any specific order to the exercises to minimise fatigue?
4) is there only one set of each exercise performed per workout?
5) do you keep the weight the same as you increase the reps (as a means of progression) or do you lower the weight?

i have never done high reps like this, so i have no idea what kind of weight i could handle, but i imagine i would improve reasonably quickly, having never done this before. also, how close to failure should you be? should you finish a set and be absolutely stuffed, or should you still be able to manage 1 or more reps?

and in terms of the exercises, how would something like the exercises below look (in the order i have them)? i want to make sure i have a good balance, currently my weaknesses would be legs and calves, traps and rear delts. my back is probably a bit out of proportion with my chest, and my tris are probably a bit small for my bis as well. if you have any better ideas for exercises, or the order in which to perform them, i'm all ears :)

Squats
Lat pulldown
Deadlifts
Bench press
Leg press
Military press
Seated row
Crunches

any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
cheers

1. No way explosive Pistachio because (and this a bit funny) you'd knock yourself out with the weight :D! Just normal speed mate. If explosiveness is used with such a light weight, you'd have a hell of a time trying to decelerate the weight's motion.

2. You'd put on muscle and fat; with the ratio of muscle far exceeding that of fat.

3. Flexibility rather than rigidity is key here. Whatever makes Pistachio complete the task ahead would be the appropriate exercise order. There's enough compound and isolation exercises to make that happen and to still take care of your metabolism at the same time.

4. Yes. It's a higher rep set than your usual weight circuit in this particular instance; hence there's no need for multiple sets or rounds if you like. You may find the first week of circuit fairly easy; it gets harder Pistachio. Plus you've got the brutal burpees to contend with on the following day.

5. People on this forum who are performing this program are keeping the weight as is whilst performing 10 reps more as was the case with Modo. He squatted 50kg x30 in week #1, and then did the same weight yesterday at 40 reps. that’s an increase of 500kg and a 33% increase in intensity!

The only way to find out if you don't know what your 1RM is is to have a crack at it; record in the diary what you have done and the feedback you've gotten from your cardiovascular system as well as your muscular system. This way (on a Wednesday), you can add weight, or keep as is or reduce. Please forget about muscle failure here. Your muscles may start to burn (due to some lactic acid build up) after only 15 reps instead of 30. But the weight can still be lifted due to its low load. So where is failure here? The picture will become cleared as you do your first workout. Wednesday would be a better workout, and Friday even better still in terms of what to expect. Does that make sense Pistachio?

Brother I'm happy for you to change the order of the exercises as long as you complete the task that I've set before you. You'll always be BOSS when it comes to Pistachio's body and the way it responds to training and nutrition. I'm only presenting you with a path to take. Others may have a different path that would suite you better. Modification is great as the need arises irrespective whose program you're following.

I hope I've answered your questions to your satisfaction. Now leave the money on top of the fridge...:)

Fadi.

Does that make sense Pistachio?

I hope I've answered your questions to your satisfaction. Now leave the money on top of the fridge...:)

Fadi.

yes Fadi, that does make sense :)

so does the set of exercises i put in my previous post look appropriate? i.e. is it balanced? or should i use the original set you proposed (i took it from your post that this was only an example?)

1. Squats/Leg press, 2. Military press/ Upright rows
3. Crunches/ Hanging leg raises
4. Barbell curls/ Dumbell curls
5. Bench press/Incline dumbell press
6. Dead lift/ Barbell rows
7. Leg curls/leg extensions
8. Seated rowing/ Lat puuldown

also, on the topic of burpees, before commencing these, what sort of warm up is neccesary?

thanks again for you help Fadi :)

yes Fadi, that does make sense :)

so does the set of exercises i put in my previous post look appropriate? i.e. is it balanced? or should i use the original set you proposed (i took it from your post that this was only an example?)

1. Squats/Leg press, 2. Military press/ Upright rows
3. Crunches/ Hanging leg raises
4. Barbell curls/ Dumbell curls
5. Bench press/Incline dumbell press
6. Dead lift/ Barbell rows
7. Leg curls/leg extensions
8. Seated rowing/ Lat puuldown

also, on the topic of burpees, before commencing these, what sort of warm up is neccesary?

thanks again for you help Fadi :)

You're welcome mate.

I checked your exercise combos; no problem. If you stick to one set, I think you may get a better feeling as to the increase/decrease of weight or anything pertaining to that particular exercise that you've chosen. But as I’ve said before: flexibility is Key.

Make sure your wrists, ankles, and knees are warm. Start slowly to get the feel of it before you increase speed. Please do not underestimate the burpees. They may have a silly name, but they will make you silly fit.

Fadi.

What the above will achieve is the following: As the muscle fibers are gradually recruited to help with the continuation of a high rep low-load set, the prolonged work exhausts the ATP/CP and glycogen fuel supplies, leaving fatty acids as the main fuel available to sustain the workload.
hi Fadi,

i was just reading this again to see what i had signed up for and a couple of questions came to mind..

1. you say above that the prolonged work exhausts the ATP/CP and glycogen supplies, hence leaving fatty acids as the main fuel to use. would it therefore be a good idea NOT to supplement with creatine in order for your body to get to the fatty acids quicker? ie if you take creatine, wouldn't your ATP/CP supplies last longer?

2. i have just started the 40 rep sets this week and am finding it nearly impossible to go continuously for 40 reps. can you do say 20 reps, 20 second break, 20 reps, or do you have to do them in one continuous set with absolutely no break whatsoever? if this is the case, i may need to lower my weights! (which i don't really want to do, as they are already quite light...)

3. is it ok to have breaks between the supersets to load barbells etc in the 6th week? i mean i can't exactly set all the weights on 4-5 bars if you know what i mean. i assume you just go through it as quick as humanly possible? weeks 4-5 shouldn't be a problem as i should be able to secure 2-3 bars in the gym for the superset without too much trouble...

thanks Fadi :)

Hi Pistachio,

Your observation re the taking of creatine is spot on. But I can't remember advising anyone to take creatine whilst doing these high reps; have I?

As for the way you're performing the high reps and the break times; I trust that you're after some hard work, and if that's what you're doing by the time that workout session has been completed, then I really see nothing wrong with your approach. As you get fitter, things will change. Let's do it at your own pace for now please and well done mate.

Fadi.

Hi Pistachio,

Your observation re the taking of creatine is spot on. But I can't remember advising anyone to take creatine whilst doing these high reps; have I?

As for the way you're performing the high reps and the break times; I trust that you're after some hard work, and if that's what you're doing by the time that workout session has been completed, then I really see nothing wrong with your approach. As you get fitter, things will change. Let's do it at your own pace for now please and well done mate.

Fadi.

Oh ok, no you didn't advise anyone to take creatine, the subject of whether creatine should or should not be taken has not been raised as far as i'm aware. ok, i will drop the creatine from the workouts then. would it be a good idea to keep it in my post workout nutrition though? i figure these workouts will seriously deplete my ATP/CP stores and they will be needing some replenishing!

ok, yes i am definitely after some hard work! and i do feel completely stuffed after my workout. previously i was doing approx 10 rep sets with 2-4mins rest between sets, so doing 2 sets of 20 with about 20 seconds break to me, still feels like one set, its just more of a breather. i should note as well that i have only done this with squats and SLDL. the other exercises are ok, its just these two destroy me. but anyway, i'll post this up in my blog, i meant to do it last night but didn't get around to it. i'll post it up tonight if i get a chance (plus my burpees for today)

thanks Fadi :)

So, with a diet that directly meets your caloric requirements (90% of calories from Carbs + Proteins, and 10% from fats), and doing weighted circuit training, you will shed fat, and maintain muscle.

In a nutshell, based on the above, you would expect to drop pants sizes, and gain shirt sizes, but at the same time, probably lose a bit of weight.

Correct?

i havent lost fat... how come this works for everyone else and again, i do it, and fail??
Modo,
For the last time stop all this negativity sh!te, it's getting boring.
Ask proper questions or offer advice but all this negativity crap will cease now.

Last edited:
yeah 5 Kg, and losing energy and losing muscle too likely. i like this routine, but my body just doesnt seem to know what is going on.

So, with a diet that directly meets your caloric requirements (90% of calories from Carbs + Proteins, and 10% from fats), and doing weighted circuit training, you will shed fat, and maintain muscle.

In a nutshell, based on the above, you would expect to drop pants sizes, and gain shirt sizes, but at the same time, probably lose a bit of weight.

Correct?

^^^
Am I on the right track

(sorry for the bump...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, excuse the ignorance, does this mean you're training DAILY, with circuits done "every other day", and burpees done "every other other day"?

Correct?
^^^
Am I on the right track

(sorry for the bump...)

Hi Litebulb.

I think 10% is too low for fats.
20-30% is normally the goal for a healthy diet.
That may not be the case for some crazy cutting diets...but I said healthy :p

Cutting out the bad fats is good, but cutting fats altogether is not so good.

Fadi seems to have covered the diet pretty extensively in here:
http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/8997-diet-1-2200-calorie-food-plan.html

The break down at the bottom of the diet is as follows:
TOTAL
Protein: Carb Fat Cal
138g 233g 85g 2200
25% 42% 33%

Again, excuse the ignorance, does this mean you're training DAILY, with circuits done "every other day", and burpees done "every other other day"?

Rest day on Sunday.

Mon - Weights
Tues- - Burpees
Wed - Weights
Thurs - Burpees
Fri - Weights
Sat - Burpees
Sun - Recover!

Hope that helps :)

I should have posted this last Sun after I had completed the 6 weeks. But I've been a bit busy even with the week off.

While I was following the 6 week plan I was eating approx 2200 cal, 85g fat, 138g protein and 233g carbs, as per Fadi's 2200cal food plan.

I took some measurements before and after, and the results really surprised me.
I've lost close to 5 kilos, just over 5 inches from my stomach, a little under 2 inches from my chest and just under 1/2 an inch from the biceps.

So the the big 2 are 5 kilos and 5 inches, and I now have a 4 pack:D

On Mon I'm starting Fadi's http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-train...move-your-body-through-space-program-1-a.html

Oh and I got my time down to 12:15 for 100 burpees!

I'm soooo happy to say good-bye to the 100 burpees, only be doing 50 twice a week now!!!!

Thank you Fadi for all the support and for the program itself. I'm sure the next 12 weeks will be as successfull as the past 6.

Good luck to all who follow the 6 week program, I think it works!
Cheers,
Mike.