• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
The RPE scale challenges you to gauge how hard you think you’re pushing yourself, based on a numeric scale. The American College of Sports Medicine defines RPE as “feelings of effort, strain, discomfort, and/or fatigue experienced during both aerobic and resistance training“, but uses a scale of 6-20.
Strength coach Mike Robertson uses a more practical 1-10 scale, with slightly more concrete differentiation on the higher end, that you can apply as well.
RPE of 10 — Max effort/limit lift. This is either one heckuva grinder, or they flat out miss a lift.
RPE of 9 — Heavy lift, but one rep left in the tank.
RPE of 8 — Heavy(ish) lift, but two reps left in the tank.
RPE of 7 — Moderate weight, multiple reps left in the tank
It might remind you of the pain chart at a doctor’s office: on a scale of 1-10, how hard do you think you’re working? In other words, measure your perceived intensity, with one being “Wow, I can do this in my sleep,” to five feeling like “OK, it’s getting pretty warm in here…” to a 10 that’s essentially “@$%#! asdsfgjffffff.”
It’s not perfect, but it can help someone better modulate their workout intensities based on how she feels. Plus, it’s a great encouragement to aim to hit an attainable “intensity” goal.
Intensity is relative and subject to many variables. As Robertson mentions: “It’s not just about the weight on the bar, but how the weight on that bar feels right now.”
Everything You Need to Know About RPEs [Robertson Training Systems]

DosX_Weights.jpg

Use The RPE Scale To Rate How Hard You Should Work Out

RPE of 10 — Max effort/limit lift. This is either one heckuva grinder, or they flat out miss a lift.
RPE of 9 — Heavy lift, but one rep left in the tank.
RPE of 8 — Heavy(ish) lift, but two reps left in the tank.
RPE of 7 — Moderate weight, multiple reps left in the tank.
I don't like the word "should" in the title, and (for me), I'd prefer to see it like this instead : Use The RPE Scale To Rate How Hard You Are Working Out

I'd like to think that I train using the whole length of this RPE scale; everything inclusive yet at the appropriate time.