• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

McFLy

super m0derator
Mine are these to here when I was 14.. I started using my dads old weight set and bench press..me and my mate use to sweat like pigs in my old tin garage

Scott Steiner and buff bagwell

9FCDC472-E817-4279-B1E2-C79C5D96A168-496-0000008B218353B5_zpsc6dca1d6.jpg

BC6D9B4F-B540-4833-B647-CFA961B2CCCC-496-0000008B29260E7C_zpsf1745b97.jpg

When I was 12 years old and just reaching 150cm tall, I weighed in at a whopping 25kg. I was constantly bullied all throughout primary school, which is what happens when you're an easy target and in the presence of children. My size was probably the least of reasons why I got treated like dirt by my peers, but it was also the only reason in which I saw a potential to do something about it.

Thanks to his acting career, and thus my awareness of his existence, I recall announcing at that age that I wanted to grow up to be this guy:

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Pictures-2.jpg

That being said, between the ages of 12 and 15 (15 being when I first set foot in a gym, with my dad being the one who got me to go there against my will -- my unwillingness being because I thought gyms were where you go to lose weight, which was the last thing I needed), I found myself relating more to this fictional characters, and wanting to be like them:

cloud_480x480.jpg

cellt.jpg

62798-jin_kazama1.jpg

Fucked my back in an accident at work when I was an apprentice, after a year of physio and other shit my brother convinced me to try weight training to fix it. Once I saw the changes I was hooked, had very bad bro fever in my early 20's.

I still remember how buzzed I was the first time I benched a20kg plate each side, fuck yeah big boy weights.

FYI Ryan you are a strange character.

The missus and myself signed up to help us conceive.

It worked, and I continued going to the gym. But instead, now, I have everything (equipment) I want at home.

Wanting to shirtfront people better while playing basketball as well as increasing my speed and leap lead me to researching strength / performance type training programs.

When I was about 15 I wanted to be like Arnie, and Sylvester Stallone in 'First Blood' so I started hitting the weights, had no idea what I was doing and probably wasted the best 10 years of my life getting stuff all gains. From bro curls and fancy gym machines.

Never squatted heavy or dead lifted at all till I hit my 40's, as it was bad for your back, also was told to bench press with my feet up on the bench to avoid back injury, did this for 20 years on and off :cool::eek: had some muscle tone and some size about me hence why my mates nick named me Big Mick (not my idea), but I could have gotten so much more if I only knew what I was doing.

Been back into trainig for a couple of years now, and even though slightly fat, still carry some muscle at 6'2" and 117kg:). My work mates have now nick names me 'the hulk':pmakes me laugh. Might have to change my user name:rolleyes:

I wanted to be able to consistently slam dunk lol

Wouldn't practicing slam dunking be the solution to that rather than weights:confused:

A mate of mine a few years ago randomly started doing weights, and I asked him why, as it was out of character for him, he informed me that he could not swim well, and since he goes out fishing he figured he better start doing some weights. When I suggested going to the pool and doing some laps to get better at swimming he thought I was a genius.:rolleyes:

Wouldn't practicing slam dunking be the solution to that rather than weights:confused:

A mate of mine a few years ago randomly started doing weights, and I asked him why, as it was out of character for him, he informed me that he could not swim well, and since he goes out fishing he figured he better start doing some weights. When I suggested going to the pool and doing some laps to get better at swimming he thought I was a genius.:rolleyes:

Being stronger makes you more useful / better at anything in life. Still should practice skills though for your sport / hobby / occupation.

This is a mantra ive strongly believed in ever since i first discovered weight training which is why im puzzled by those who train for appearance.

Being stronger makes you more useful / better at anything in life. Still should practice skills though for your sport / hobby / occupation.

This is a mantra ive strongly believed in ever since i first discovered weight training which is why im puzzled by those who train for appearance.

That's why you're the wingman and not riding shotgun. ;)

I don't remember being inspired by anyone. I was not satisfied with my physical capabilities or appearance so when I moved to Townsville for uni I joined a gym straight away. I got plenty of inspiration there.

Has your back resolved itself now from getting stronger?

Yep. My back was so fucked I struggled to do anything physical for a while, couldn't sit in a seat for anything longer than 10-20 minutes. Was seeing physios and chiros up to 3 times a week and not improving.

After a bit of research started doing Deadlifts and back extensions. Almost game me instant relief. Haven't had back pain for years now.

I'm surprised nobody has said 'to get girls' yet. My motivation to lift came from reading comics when I was younger. Bought a 25kg dumbell set at 13 from amart and did curls, rows, and flies on two milk crates cable tied together. Thought I was a beast.

When I was in my early 20's I was at my heaviest (97kg) and picked up a copy of Dr Alan borusheks Calorie and Fat Counter book. Taught me to understand macros and how to lose weight. I counted calories for 2 years to get down to a size 12 in time for a P&O cruise.

About 26 yrs old, (2006) I was at my second heaviest weight (87kg' s) and a good friend of mine was on the tony Ferguson diet and also appeared on the TV advert so started lunching with her. Lost about 16kg in 3 months after she inspired me and taught me about low carb dieting.

Stacked the weight back on by end of 2010, went on a holiday and was so upset by pictures of myself afterwards, I was about 83kg's. Was seeing a familiar trend happening so joined Fitness First. Met Michelle, a PT who taught me not only how to diet and exercise but how to keep it off. She inspired me to take hold of life.

I have kept the weight off for a full year.

I was always uninspired by my mum and sister, both morbidly obese by their early 20's. Really did not have an life at all. My sister is a type 2 diabetic. My mum has lost 30kg's in the last year from a diet I put her on. My sister is still gaining weight.....

It's sad when you see the health of loved ones slipping by, all by their own hand.

When it comes to weight loss, unfortunately I think my mum is a lots cause. Sounds harsh, but sometimes reality hurts. I just have to accept the fact that when her poor diet catches up with her, she was fully aware of the consequences. And being a registered nurse for 40yrs, she bloody well does know better.

I wanted to get better at sport (rock climbing). From there I just found I enjoyed lifting as a challenge in itself.

I like bodybuilding and powerlifting both, though modern unregulated bodybuilding is now a bit of a joke.

Stronger legs = bigger power output = bigger jump.

That said I don't think I could jump as high now due to lack of practice + tighter muscles.

Fucked my back in an accident at work when I was an apprentice, after a year of physio and other shit my brother convinced me to try weight training to fix it. Once I saw the changes I was hooked, had very bad bro fever in my early 20's.

I still remember how buzzed I was the first time I benched a20kg plate each side, fuck yeah big boy weights.

FYI Ryan you are a strange character.
You're not the first person to say so.

I remember being pretty stoked the first time I benched 60kg, too. Still looking forward to 100kg.