• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Which do you think is more important in getting the best results from a workout intensity or form?
You could probably make a winning case for each one, or the idea that they are equally important.
I would probably say that intensity is more important when you’re younger (from 15 to 40 years of age), and form is more important when your older (over 40).

A younger body can handle cheating much better than an older body, so as you get older, you’d be wise to focus more on form than intensity.
But as I look back on my however many years, I can say with confidence that more people would profit from an understanding and application of proper form, than from proper intensity.

Of course, in the long run, you’re going to need large amounts of both.

What you reckon?
just something to think about

Which do you think is more important in getting the best results from a workout intensity or form?
You could probably make a winning case for each one, or the idea that they are equally important.
I would probably say that intensity is more important when you’re younger (from 15 to 40 years of age), and form is more important when your older (over 40).

A younger body can handle cheating much better than an older body, so as you get older, you’d be wise to focus more on form than intensity.
But as I look back on my however many years, I can say with confidence that more people would profit from an understanding and application of proper form, than from proper intensity.

Of course, in the long run, you’re going to need large amounts of both.

What you reckon?
just something to think about

There are two ways to look at this in my opinion.

1. Positive cheating

2. Negative cheating

3. Intensity

Positive cheating "losing form" to some, is what I would consider placing one's body in a mechanical advantage form hence, one would gain rather than lose something here. And the gain might be a gain in intensity, so all in all, it's a positive outcome.

Negative cheating "losing form" against your will so to speak, or losing form because a load (an external trigger) forced you into such a bad position, possibly leading to injury. The net immediate effect as well as the net effect in the long run would force intensity to be driven down, resulting in an undesirable result as far as weights lifted, and a negative result in the form of an injury.

Intensity for me is simply weight on a bar, without much effort applied or continued to be applied (depending on the situation at hand, or sought after goal), intensity per se would have to take a back seat to effort applied.

I go with intensity, strict form for the first few reps and then am willing to cheat a bit for the last couple.

Working hard, nothing else matters otherwise. The form junkies with the pink Dumbbells never progress.

you can work hard with good form; I personally know many bb champs who have done this. Intensity still key, but form still can be important.

A cheat rep should be a half or partial rep, not a degradation in form.

Last edited:
my co-author and sometimes training partner always used good form.

13567481_10153484400781626_338575312247338666_n.jpg