• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
hahaha that's epic dude
I'll give pushing back with my feet a go, I was waiting until I was set before doing it
Any tips on getting my feet further back? I just can't get them back further and will eventually want flat feet if I am to bench in IPF

I would say hip flexor stretches? Quad stretches?

I think you do need to worry less about technique though yours looks fine (well, maybe not to a powerlifting coach).

You fucking overcomplicate everything. You remind me of a woman trying yo pick a new handbag.

Just fucking bench and do assistance and your bench will go up.

Just like I was doing before! That gave great results! :rolleyes:

There is no way, no way at all, that the ROM of my lift is such that I can't significantly increase my strength on the bench press. How the fuck is working on technique and dedicating hours each week to literally doing nothing but bench press and pull-ups for upper body "overcomplicating things"?

>follow pre-programmed sheiko bench programming
>work on technique
>you're over complicating things

>get criticized for having shitty bench
>seek advice of top strength coach in australia
>travel across country to get in a few sessions with him
>spend the majority of my time increasing all aspects of my bench, starts moving up considerably
>get told I should go back to the way I was training before

Fuck everything

Having good comp technique and being a strong bencher are two different things. I'm just suggesting that you're focusing too much on the more complex aspects of the bench when you'll make greater gains by spending more time on the basics. A weak bencher with great technique is still a weak bencher.

Learn technique for comps yes, but you should know full well that you have a tendency to delve too deeply into more complex technique and programming and not spend enough time focusing on getting strong. Case in point is this thread. You need to put the hours in to get strong first.

But whatever, its not like I know anything about benching either...

>spend the majority of my time increasing all aspects of my bench, starts moving up considerably

Fuck everything
You really are a piece of work
How on earth did you come to the conclusion above from what El Freako and others have told you.

Maybe a big arch will help your comprehension skills.

I know you have a good bench yes, but saying that following a Sheiko routine with the technique I have won't get me strong is just fucking ridiculous, I can give bazillions of examples of strong lifters that train with a big arch the majority of the time and have developed it right from the word go

I know you have a good bench yes, but saying that following a Sheiko routine with the technique I have won't get me strong is just fucking ridiculous, I can give bazillions of examples of strong lifters that train with a big arch the majority of the time and have developed it right from the word go

Whatever.

All I'm saying is that you should reserve the cranked arch for your heavier triples to singles. Do the majority of your volume with a looser set up greater ROM.

Fuck everything

This is the difference between you and a normal person Oni.

Oni says I travelled across the country to seek advice from top strength coach.
Normal person says popped in to see sticky for some pointers while in brissy.

Oni wears wrist wraps and sets up comp style to bench 60kg.
Normal person just fucking benches til they are repping 100kg.

Oni claims to be friends with renowned american strength coach
Normal person oh yeah I read something similar in that persons blog.

You got a bad case of been a wanker mate.

hip flexor stretches, hip mobility, the mre you can tilt your hips the bigger you can get your arch, when you pull the weight out drive your traps into the bwnh an re set your chest, it will shift the arch in your back to your chest and away from the lower back, so your chest becomes higher

This is the difference between you and a normal person Oni.

Oni says I travelled across the country to seek advice from top strength coach.
Normal person says popped in to see sticky for some pointers while in brissy.

Oni wears wrist wraps and sets up comp style to bench 60kg.
Normal person just fucking benches til they are repping 100kg.

Oni claims to be friends with renowned american strength coach
Normal person oh yeah I read something similar in that persons blog.

You got a bad case of been a wanker mate.
i half agree with not comp arching for warmups, i do arch on warmups but i wait till my work sets before i crank it

hip flexor stretches, hip mobility, the mre you can tilt your hips the bigger you can get your arch, when you pull the weight out drive your traps into the bwnh an re set your chest, it will shift the arch in your back to your chest and away from the lower back, so your chest becomes higher

Que??

Thank you

It impossible to say someone overtrains just by looking at the number of times they train.

If lifts are consistently going up they are not overtraining. Most people will never get near overtraining no matter how hard they try.

Thanks Bazza. So my concept of overtraining is a bit BroScience?

Thanks Bazza. So my concept of overtraining is a bit BroScience?

You can obviously overtrain but is not something anyone really needs to worry about. Most people could never push them self hard enough for long enough to actually overtrain. It's self correcting anyway. If you started to slightly overtrain you feel like shit and strength drops off. The motivation and effort you put in to training drops and you recover.

Bottom line, don't worry about it.

You can obviously overtrain but is not something anyone really needs to worry about. Most people could never push them self hard enough for long enough to actually overtrain. It's self correcting anyway. If you started to slightly overtrain you feel like shit and strength drops off. The motivation and effort you put in to training drops and you recover.

Bottom line, don't worry about it.

cheers mate.

Oni I think you do over-complicate things too. I went to see Sticky and he said 'different programs work better for different people... what works for me is sets of 5'... I tried doing heavy sets of 5, I eat a lot and I sleep a lot. I vary the reps from week to week to avoid plateaus... seems to be working. I'm sure he could offer more advice than that but it's all I needed at the time as a beginner.

Do you get 8 hours sleep? (not 6 or 7) Have you tried eating more? I don't mean to sound condescending but I used to train 10 years ago and I learnt the hard way then that if those two are out of wack you got no chance.

Last edited:
Great idea about asking all the lifters that I am in contact with Fluffy

"Hey XXXXXXXXX,

As you know I have a terrible history with the bench press.
I have recently been putting a fuckload of effort into it and I think
I am starting to see improvement but it's too early to tell yet. I am
currently on Sheiko 39 and work on improving my technique constantly.

The issue is that I posted on an internet message board about
improving my bench arch and was criticized saying that I was "over
complicating" things and that I just need to focus on getting
stronger. The main issue was that I was told the way I arch my back
will not give me a good training effect despite the fact that I am
benching 3-4x a week for high volume as a novice. I was wondering what
your opinion on this was, my bench arch is not extreme and as a
natural deadlifter I want to save myself from embarrassment at meets
in future.

Do you think that my technique and programming is a good way to get
strong? Will arching like this in training negate training effect? The
insinuations they were making seemed pretty ridiculous and I wanted
your opinion on it as you've always been a great help to me. Here is a
video I took today, just with a very light weight so I could
concentrate on the arch as my main bench training for the week is
tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLmKaCob0lY"

Reply from Paul Carter:
http://i.imgur.com/3ZEhT.png

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hESpwK5vA58]Raw Bench Setup.MP4 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA7j1S5AD18]405 close grip with pause - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehqmRRCUfAw]close grip bench 365x6 - YouTube[/ame]

I drive back with my legs as I make the arch and keep driving back to maintain tension e.g.

125kg touch and go bench press - YouTube

I also find it helps to vibrate my left arm a lot during lock out.

holy wobbling arms

Fuck everything

lol

In 0ni's defense I don't think he is overtraining. He does understand his training cycle well and despite the frequency of lifting he has his volume well spread out.

0ni if I remember I will upload and post the bench setup I learnt off Minh. Its like doing limbo on a bench. Epic arch. Epic discomfort.