• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Should Australian Gun Laws be

• Tightened

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Loosened

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
Correlation does not equal causation. There are powerful societal factors in the US behind the levels of gun violence there - some of the places with the loosest restrictions also have firearm violence rates on par or lower than here (like Vermont). I reckon the personal freedoms enjoyed by US citizens are admirable, and not just in terms of the 2nd amendment.

Whilst I'm all for concealed carry and being allowed to defend yourself, I don't like the idea of unsecured firearms being kept in the home 'in case' of a home invasion - anecdotally there does not really seem to be that much of it. That said, IMO if you break into someone's house and get shot while doing so, that is completely on you. Open carry is a bit more contentious - many people would find it confronting to have someone's firearm visible, though I am under the impression that even in open carry states, any business can request you not take it onto their premises.

The gun laws here are ineffective at actually preventing crime or stopping unlicensed firearms - the recent senate commission report bears this out, despite the obvious agenda of Penny Wright. IMO NZ has a reasonably good balance - you still need to go through the motions to get your licence, but once you have done so you can go and buy firearms without having to go through the red tape process of a permit. It's borderline ridiculous here. The stats show that hardly any firearms are stolen from law abiding firearm owners. I do agree with the storage requirements though.

Along with what Vonfram88 said about pistols, the fact that you can have a pump rifle but not a pump shotgun, but you can have a lever shotgun, calibre restrictions (i.e. if someone has the thousands of dollars required to buy a .50BMG rifle, it's unlikely they are going to use it for shooting anything other than targets on a range), airsoft is completely banned etc.

Correlation does not equal causation. There are powerful societal factors in the US behind the levels of gun violence there - some of the places with the loosest restrictions also have firearm violence rates on par or lower than here (like Vermont). I reckon the personal freedoms enjoyed by US citizens are admirable, and not just in terms of the 2nd amendment.

Whilst I'm all for concealed carry and being allowed to defend yourself, I don't like the idea of unsecured firearms being kept in the home 'in case' of a home invasion - anecdotally there does not really seem to be that much of it. That said, IMO if you break into someone's house and get shot while doing so, that is completely on you. Open carry is a bit more contentious - many people would find it confronting to have someone's firearm visible, though I am under the impression that even in open carry states, any business can request you not take it onto their premises.

The gun laws here are ineffective at actually preventing crime or stopping unlicensed firearms - the recent senate commission report bears this out, despite the obvious agenda of Penny Wright. IMO NZ has a reasonably good balance - you still need to go through the motions to get your licence, but once you have done so you can go and buy firearms without having to go through the red tape process of a permit. It's borderline ridiculous here. The stats show that hardly any firearms are stolen from law abiding firearm owners. I do agree with the storage requirements though.

Along with what Vonfram88 said about pistols, the fact that you can have a pump rifle but not a pump shotgun, but you can have a lever shotgun, calibre restrictions (i.e. if someone has the thousands of dollars required to buy a .50BMG rifle, it's unlikely they are going to use it for shooting anything other than targets on a range), airsoft is completely banned etc.

Problem is to buy a black market firearm here is much much more expensive.

If guns were more accessible black market guns become a lot cheaper and accessible to every retard.

Australia's firearms laws are designed to prevent mass shootings like the Hoddle St massacre and Port Arthur.

They are designed to outlaw firearms that put out a lot of bullets or shell at a rapid pace. A lot of shotguns got the chop, and all semi automatic and fully automatic rifles were destroyed because they were designed to kill people. Pistols were vortually unaffected. Hunting rifles were vortually unaffected because both won't kill the same number of people that a pump action shottie or a semi auto rifle can.

You can bump fire a semi auto at a rate that may as well be fully auto. You cannot do that with a pump or lever.

Australia's firearms laws are designed to prevent mass shootings like the Hoddle St massacre and Port Arthur.

They are designed to outlaw firearms that put out a lot of bullets or shell at a rapid pace. A lot of shotguns got the chop, and all semi automatic and fully automatic rifles were destroyed because they were designed to kill people. Pistols were vortually unaffected. Hunting rifles were vortually unaffected because both won't kill the same number of people that a pump action shottie or a semi auto rifle can.

Port Arthur was a noteworthy mass murder with a large number of fatalities. The criminal was in possession of unlicensed firearms. That's the problem with criminals - they don't tend to worry much about the law so amending the law will not affect them.

The majority of firearms in the hands of criminals were never licensed to start with. Only a minor proportion of guns in criminal hands were stolen from law abiding firearms owners. Recently there was the Australia post - customs racket that brought in a load of compact semi automatic pistols of a specification that are not even allowed for civilian issue in Australia. The crims have those now.

So when crims misuse guns they aren't entitled to possess, the natural response seems to be to restrict the freedom of law abiding citizens. Makes perfect sense doesn't it? Before someone pipes in and claims it has reduced suicide rates, well it hasn't and people are still killing themselves by whatever means they have available.

civilians have never been allowed to possess fully automatic firearms; the reforms did nothing in that regard. Many quite innocuous self loading rifles were destroyed, they had been responsibly kept by law abiding citizens for decades prior.

Handguns were subject to significant restrictions after the Monash University shootings which were by no means in the league of mass murder. Revolvers must now have a minimum barrel length of 100mm and self loading pistols must have a minimum barrel length of 125mm. Magazine capacity is restricted to 10 rounds. Practical shooting matches may use calibres no greater than 38/357/9mm. None of this has any effect on criminals who are in possessions of illegal firearms.

Storage requirements are strict. There is no opportunity for a firearm to be stored with its ammunition readily accessible.

Some states still permit semi auto and pump action shotguns but barrel length restrictions apply and magazine capacity is limited to 5. One shell fired from the unlicensed illegal shotgun used in the Sydney siege may have caused death of a hostage, the other hostage was killed by round(s) fired from semi automatic firearms discharged by police.

exactly how much vermin is actually out here now we kill everything?

this isn't 1950's anymore, even then the so called vermin were "aboriginals"... you all disgust me! for real.

how about your the vermin!

Port Arthur was a noteworthy mass murder with a large number of fatalities. The criminal was in possession of unlicensed firearms. That's the problem with criminals - they don't tend to worry much about the law so amending the law will not affect them.

The majority of firearms in the hands of criminals were never licensed to start with. Only a minor proportion of guns in criminal hands were stolen from law abiding firearms owners. Recently there was the Australia post - customs racket that brought in a load of compact semi automatic pistols of a specification that are not even allowed for civilian issue in Australia. The crims have those now.

So when crims misuse guns they aren't entitled to possess, the natural response seems to be to restrict the freedom of law abiding citizens. Makes perfect sense doesn't it? Before someone pipes in and claims it has reduced suicide rates, well it hasn't and people are still killing themselves by whatever means they have available.

civilians have never been allowed to possess fully automatic firearms; the reforms did nothing in that regard. Many quite innocuous self loading rifles were destroyed, they had been responsibly kept by law abiding citizens for decades prior.

Handguns were subject to significant restrictions after the Monash University shootings which were by no means in the league of mass murder. Revolvers must now have a minimum barrel length of 100mm and self loading pistols must have a minimum barrel length of 125mm. Magazine capacity is restricted to 10 rounds. Practical shooting matches may use calibres no greater than 38/357/9mm. None of this has any effect on criminals who are in possessions of illegal firearms.

Storage requirements are strict. There is no opportunity for a firearm to be stored with its ammunition readily accessible.

Some states still permit semi auto and pump action shotguns but barrel length restrictions apply and magazine capacity is limited to 5. One shell fired from the unlicensed illegal shotgun used in the Sydney siege may have caused death of a hostage, the other hostage was killed by round(s) fired from semi automatic firearms discharged by police.

yeah, and nobody has access to any drugs either, because thats illegal. look how good that works.

im lost for words, seriously...

you realise cocaine is illegal yet every club in every city has people coked up... as an example

edit: i think its corruption at its finest moment. pretend to prosecute, yet import and make bank off it behind the curtain.

yeah, and nobody has access to any drugs either, because thats illegal. look how good that works.

im lost for words, seriously...

you realise cocaine is illegal yet every club in every city has people coked up... as an example

edit: i think its corruption at its finest moment. pretend to prosecute, yet import and make bank off it behind the curtain.

you seem to have lost the relevance to the thread somewhere in there.

if you're suggesting that cocaine should be legalised because people use it anyway then fine, wind back the firearms restrictions also. Seems to be the logical extension of your argument?

exactly how much vermin is actually out here now we kill everything?

this isn't 1950's anymore, even then the so called vermin were "aboriginals"... you all disgust me! for real.

how about your the vermin!

I'm not sure what number can or syringe you are up to.

You seem to be implying that law abiding citizens who shoot vermin would consider Aborigines to be sub-human. Then you express your disgust based on an offensively false premise. It's like asking someone if they have stopped beating their wife.

There are abundant vermin in Australia. Cats, dogs and foxes have torn through natural ecosystems taking many of the native fauna to the brink of extinction. Rabbits are showing resistance to virus control. Camels, donkeys, pigs also roam free across vast areas destroying habitats and causing economic harm to pastoralists and graziers.

As far as my motives are concerned, I love my Milwaukee power tools, my landcruiser and my firearms. All of these possessions and the freedom to enjoy them have been earned through my hard work and uprightness as a tax paying sixth generation Australian. Shooting is a passion of mine and a record number of Citizens in Austrlia who have recognised this activity as safe, inclusive and relaxing. You're not going to be able to do anything that restricts my freedom further so sit back and whine about it. I'll think about you when I'm benching four plates.

Then I'll go and buy another safe for the next lot of firearms I plan to purchase for my enjoyment.

Last edited:
Is a fox Vermin?
add that to the list too.
Indian minor
cane toad, I'd like to shoot that
Starlings
Cats
dogs
rabbits
camels
cows
pigs
it's a long, long list

you fuckin Hiltlers...

@C_T; yes there's still a shitload of vermin out there, I've been seeing a LOT of foxes around here recently, in addition to feral goats, pigs, millions of rabbits etc.

I roll my eyes when people stereotype firearm owners, people that drive big vehicles, gymgoers etc as having an inferiority complex about their penis.

Honestly this stuff about the 'lethality' hair splitting between firearm types is done by idiots. Just as many people could be maimed or killed by a bolt action as a semi auto. The laws are inconsistent and unfair to those who abide by them. Most of the current firearms legislation has been knee jerk reactive responses to well publicised, isolated events.

There is a substantial amount of rigmarole to get licensed, and once you have it, it can be very easy to lose it if you do the wrong thing.

Last edited:
I roll my eyes when people stereotype firearm owners, people that drive big vehicles, gymgoers etc as having an inferiority complex about their penis.

I found that the bigger my bench grew, the smaller my dick became so I decided against benching 300kg because I did not want to grow a vagina. Then I bought some more firearms, a couple of land cruisers, developed a hostile attitude towards some outspoken minority group and one morning my dick just fell off.

So I bought a small diesel hatchback a few months and my dick has since returned to its ballbag. Next thing on the agenda is applaud the efforts of untested lifters. That'll make it bigger.