• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Chin-up goals

Give it a crack!
Let me know.

You'll feel it between the shoulders the next day.

Question?

Bar position at full contraction....

Should it touch
- above nipple
- at nipple
- below nipple

????

Does it matter whether you have the hands pronated or supine?

Question?

Bar position at full contraction....

Should it touch
- above nipple
- at nipple
- below nipple

????

Does it matter whether you have the hands pronated or supine?

Well ,there pretty good questions.
Your focus is full contraction of the shoulder blades, your arm is just the link.
Try to image the resistance being behind the elbow, rather that at the bar.

Hand facing, or parallel.

It's not easy to find a 700mm parallel bar lying around a gym floor.

Do you use a machine, pulley or barbell?

Lat pull down bar can be used on the cable row.... So got plenty of grip width to work with...

When I have done them in the past I have used a 45 degree elbow angle hands pronated....

I find high elbows uncomfortable on the shoulders... Kinda like upright rows...

I've mainly been using small v bar with neutral grip pulled to the stomach... I always pin my shoulders back at the top of this movement... Gives me a mega lat pump!!!

But I may be neglecting my upper back...

That is a good idea, it's important also to have hands at the correct width enable you to achieve full erection.

But the most important point about the hands placement is positioning the upper arm at an angle that eliminates any impingement of the shoulder.
Freudian slip Goosey?

Lat pull down bar can be used on the cable row.... So got plenty of grip width to work with...

When I have done them in the past I have used a 45 degree elbow angle hands pronated....

I find high elbows uncomfortable on the shoulders... Kinda like upright rows...

I've mainly been using small v bar with neutral grip pulled to the stomach... I always pin my shoulders back at the top of this movement... Gives me a mega lat pump!!!

But I may be neglecting my upper back...

The row builds a thick shapely back.
And is good for posture.

My understanding is that a narrower grip on the pulldown bar is supposed to promote hypertrophy in the lower section of the lats, whereas wider grip works upper lats (i.e. up around the armpits).

My understanding is that a narrower grip on the pulldown bar is supposed to promote hypertrophy in the lower section of the lats, whereas wider grip works upper lats (i.e. up around the armpits).

That's incorrect DKD.

That's incorrect DKD.

It's what I read somewhere, can't remember if it was a couple of different sources saying the same thing (was a while ago). I gave it a crack with the narrower grip for quite a while, hoping to get that long sweep of the lats I'd seen in a few guys, but it did fark all for me.

I can do 3 chin ups or pull ups, nearly anyway, got the first 2 down pat, its easy for the little blokes

It's what I read somewhere, can't remember if it was a couple of different sources saying the same thing (was a while ago). I gave it a crack with the narrower grip for quite a while, hoping to get that long sweep of the lats I'd seen in a few guys, but it did fark all for me.

You got bro scienced!!

Yeah that narrow grip works the lower lats more idea, I read that in a Weider publication years and years ago to. Also read that reallllllly wide pull ups help to broaden the lats/shoulders.

Can I assume that Weider publications have been responsible for alot of Broscience?

Yeah that narrow grip works the lower lats more idea, I read that in a Weider publication years and years ago to. Also read that reallllllly wide pull ups help to broaden the lats/shoulders.

Can I assume that Weider publications have been responsible for alot of Broscience?

No idea.... Bro science pops up in the oddest of places.... It's everywhere....

Inclines for upper chest

Declines for lower chest

Eat 6 meals a day

Must drink protein shake immediatly before and after workout

Don't eat carbs at night

Etc etc....

"It appears that the portion of the pectoral muscle recruited during the bench press is dependent on the direction relative to the trunk in which the muscle must pull the humerus"

Glass, S.C, and T. Armstrong. Electromyographical activity of the pectoralis muscle during incline and decline bench press. J. Strength and Cond. 11(3): 163-167. 1997.

T NATION | Inside the Muscles: Best Chest and Triceps Exercises

T NATION | Building a Bodybuilder Chest

I've said this before, not broscience that Incline bench does use Upper Pec to a greater extent.

I can aslo see a difference in recruitment patterns between narrow grip chins/pulldowns and wide grip pullups/pulldowns. The former is primarily shoulder extension (can be hyperextension if you go chest to bar), the latter shoulder adduction and downward scapular rotation.

But changing the sweep/shape of a muscle... Broscience.

Here we go.

Yes there could be some merit to activating the upper, middle and lower sections of the pec by the way the fibres attach and combine into one tendon, but there will always be involvement of the other sections.
Conceivably you could, (I doubt it) or does it mean you just reduce the weight in your hand due to an awkward angle?

The same holds true for the lat.

I can aslo see a difference in recruitment patterns between narrow grip chins/pulldowns and wide grip pullups/pulldowns. The former is primarily shoulder extension (can be hyperextension if you go chest to bar), the latter shoulder adduction and downward scapular rotation.

But changing the sweep/shape of a muscle... Broscience.

I like the way you're thinking here and I think it may be possible to affect the "sweep" because the structure consists of more than one muscle. If a different movement varies the recruitment pattern then it could result in a variation in the relative hypertrophy experienced in the lat and the teres major and result in a change in the sweep. Any opinions on that as a theory?