• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rugby88

I have Ep1c Calendar kunce
I know everyone knows this but since increasing my water intake some around 2-3L a day to 4.5-6L I feel so much better, look so much better and never get bloated like I used to when I didnt drink much water.

So as I said I drink between 4.5-6L a day - just normal water, nothing added to it or anything.

I know everyone knows this but since increasing my water intake some around 2-3L a day to 4.5-6L I feel so much better, look so much better and never get bloated like I used to when I didnt drink much water.

So as I said I drink between 4.5-6L a day - just normal water, nothing added to it or anything.

Please note that too much salt will/can kill you and too much water will/can also kill you. The body is always working at maintaining homeostasis. Drink too much water and don't balance it with enough sodium and you'll end up with hyponatremia, a state where too much water in your body begins to dilute the serum (blood) sodium and has nothing to do with sodium deficiency.

Sure, the body does its magic in steps and there would be warning signs to alert you of an oncoming danger. These messages may be passed on as muscle cramps (yes muscle cramps is not always due to dehydration or too much sodium concentration in the blood or an electrolyte imbalance); dizziness may be another sign (which is not always related to low blood pressure though one can be suffering from low blood pressure due to the first cause which is too much water and on and on).

The moral of the story and what I would recommend is balance instead of excess in anything, lest you throw your system way off track.

PS: just as there is a condition called hyponatremia, there’s also the opposite condition called hypernatremia where there’s too much salt intake and not enough water --- balance is best!

Joel, thank you for starting what I would consider an important thread/subject.

Fadi.

Last edited:
This one really perplexes me.

My entire family have never been water drinkers. All through my childhood, I would be lucky to drink a glass of water per week. Instead, we drank 3 cups of tea a day, and lots of weak cordial. Later on I developed a taste for Orange Tang (you'd have to do a Google search I think) and had that each night after school. Otherwise, I lived on Cottees cordial and tea. Zero water :)

As I grew up and entered into the late 80's and early 90's, the water craze started to take hold. Very large multi-national soft drink manufacturers with huge new interests in water companies, started blitzing the media that 'water was king' for healthy diets and that none of us drank enough of the stuff. Pretty soon, everyone was carrying these water bottles around (a craze that has never stoppped).

I have read the science on all this over the years and of course, and I can see why an intake of water is essential. But, how much more than what your diet already naturally provides from food and other drinks (ie. what your body is telling you to take in, over your belief of what you need) does one actually require?

I've been healthy, fit and muscular all my life - before, during and after water supplementation. Do I REALLY need to drink 4 litres supplementary a day because apparently, none of us drink enough?

I've been healthy, fit and muscular all my life - before, during and after water supplementation. Do I REALLY need to drink 4 litres supplementary a day because apparently, none of us drink enough?

No you don't. It's just the in thing to do these days.

If your thirsty have a drink. No need to overcomplicate it.

You should not wait till your thirsty to drink water.....

A normal everyday person should drink 1-2L of water a day regardless of exercise or anything.

You should not wait till your thirsty to drink water.....

A normal everyday person should drink 1-2L of water a day regardless of exercise or anything.

So don't listen to your body, listen to what someone tells you.

uhhh... your body causes swelling and head aches and period pain etc etc, and we can avoid those thanks to the wonders of modern science. Your body also in all its wisdom causes your teeth (called wisdom teeth) to grow farkin sideways...

such a weird trend nowadays where people seem to think scientists, chemicals, unnatural things, etc are bad... umm we used to have a life expectancy of around 30-40 years before modern medicine. We can now clone animals, create antibodies, anti-virals, replace hearts, transplant organs, etc etc... Osmolarity, dissolved solutes/salts, water balance... these aren't abstract concepts.

Last edited:
uhhh... your body causes swelling and head aches and period pain etc etc, and we can avoid those thanks to the wonders of modern science. Your body also in all its wisdom causes your teeth (called wisdom teeth) to grow farkin sideways... I'll listen to modern medicine, not some broscientist or my body's thirst or hunger signals...

such a weird trend nowadays where people seem to think scientists, chemicals, unnatural things, etc are bad... umm we used to have a life expectancy of around 30-40 years before modern medicine. We can now clone animals, create antibodies, anti-virals, replace hearts, transplant organs, etc etc... Osmolarity, dissolved solutes/salts, water balance... these aren't abstract concepts.

People were more content with their lives in the years leading up to the 1940's

i drink 2-3 litres but ive had kidney stones and the doc says i need to drink enough water to keep my piss clear and not yellow

I was on the 3-4 litre bandwagon, but now I don't keep tabs. I have a bottle next to me at work and when it runs out I fill it up.

Your body will always compensate, unless something is drastically wrong with you. Meaning that if you were to go heavy on tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon etc., your need for pure water lessens accordingly, and rightly so.

Right now I'm having sea salt crackers, it's mainly a dry food which would call for some water intake, not because I want or I'd like to, but because the machinery inside of my body demands it be so.

Fadi.

Just heard on the radio that the British medical journal released that there is no quality published evidence that an increased water intake is beneficial.

So just drink when your thirsty, no need to listen to the bro science and force yourself to drink massive amounts of water.

I dont really need medical evidence to tell me drinking more water isnt good for you - like I said I notice it in the mirror and I notice it in how I feel day to day.

I dont really need medical evidence to tell me drinking more water isnt good for you - like I said I notice it in the mirror and I notice it in how I feel day to day.

Your missing the point. They didn't say drinking more water isn't good for you they said the evidence so far shows it makes no dfference.

Your missing the point. They didn't say drinking more water isn't good for you they said the evidence so far shows it makes no dfference.

Theres so many theroys and shit going around that these medical journals are more bro science than bro science - at the end of the day I will always follow real-lift experience and follow things that have worked for some of the most successful bodybuilders/athletes for years.

Drinking plenty of water and eating 6+ meals a day has been proven to work over years and years of real life experience - that means more to me than some medical journal.

Theres so many theroys and shit going around that these medical journals are more bro science than bro science - at the end of the day I will always follow real-lift experience and follow things that have worked for some of the most successful bodybuilders/athletes for years.

Drinking plenty of water and eating 6+ meals a day has been proven to work over years and years of real life experience - that means more to me than some medical journal.

That is some bullshit logic right there. You would go on gut feel from one person rather than measured evidence from 100s if not 1000s of people. I'm glad our doctors and scientists don't use logic like that otherwise we would be stuck in the dark ages.

Also it seems I have to say it again because you missed it. No were does it say that heaps of water and 10 meals a day don't work just that it makes no difference.

Im not going by one person Im going by prob millions of ppl over the last 50-60 yrs that have been eating 6+ meals a day and drinking more water than the avg person.

You have to remember that this is a bodybuilding forum and what the avg person does has nothing to do with us...we are not trying to be avg....if you want to be avg then by all means drink only when your thirsty and eat only a small number of meals a day.