• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

fat parents with fat kids...

peanutz

217846-chrissie-swan.jpg

THIS image infuriates me.

Thoughts?

Lifestyle, not genetics.

She obviously is feeding them quarter pounders instead of salads.

Her weight-loss attempts in the past have been piss poor at best.

as a broader issue, it makes me really angry. as someone who has struggled with weight (albeit only in my late 20's and due to my shit choices), i get really pissed off at how parents are setting their kids up for failure.

we have been taught for sometime now to not tease or discriminate against people coz they fat , its gone too far , not sure about the baby as alot of babys have pudge which falls away when they get bigger but the little boy ,,,, man he is going to be a heffer , he will thinks its normal coz mum is a fatty too,
its not right , we were taught not to make fun of fat kids when i was a kid because there wernt many fat kids around and those that were around probably had some hormonal issue or something beyond thier control , this is not the case anymore , it is not acceptable it is unhealthy ,wasteful and will put undue strain on our medical system, BRING ON A FAT TAX ,

Saw this image in one of the magazines and although I try not to judge anyone, because you don't know what walking a mile in their shoes is like...I must say I found this image confronting.

Not the baby so much, but the little boy. I felt incredibly sad. Overweight people, make poor lifestyle choices. Bigger portions/poor food choices/inactivity = weight gain.

I got there through years of being cycled on steroid to treat an illness. I stayed there ultimately through a complete inability to know how to reverse the damage and laziness in attempting to educate myself.

So ultimately, it was my fault for remaining the way I had become for too long. Poor choices, are handed on to our children, we feed them, we cook for them, we buy food for them, we take them to the park - or we don't. Simple as that.

That little boy is incredibly large for his age. And the fact that these poor choices have been passed on to him, is very sad.

In my opinion, it's not about being skinny - it's about being healthy. Either extreme - too thin, or too fat, is an equally unhealthy place to be.

Fat loss is important, for health and wellbeing, people's perception of you, matters for naught. But you need to live with yourself and the consequences of your choices, forever.

And ultimately, your children are forced to as well.

Yep... Kinda sad...

Both my kids will get the benefits of training and know their way around a barbell... As well as an understanding of how to eat well and live well and still eat choclate and icecream on the weekends...

Definetly no problems with the baby...

Child abuse.

This.

I don't see much difference between giving your kids drugs or alcohol vs giving them a heap of deep fried crappy food and letting them sit on the playstation all day long when they should be eating salads and kicking a football around in the backyard.

Chrissy Swans jenny craig obviously didn't work too well for her.

She will always be a hefer.

i know a family like that , the parents are overweight , and ever since i can remember the parents gave the kids huge arse meals , now the kids are older and battling with weight problems

Social services (or whatever its called now) should come and take them away. It's one thing to make slob decisions for yourself, but to make them on behalf of minors in criminal.

there are so many layers to it... but seeing big parents feed big kids just makes me so sad...its inexcusable when a fat toddler is eating 10 mcnuggets and drinking coke. my 5 month old neice is just starting solids...and she ate hot chips before she ate stewed apples, rice pudding or mashed pumpkin. its also about portion control. I don't see Swan as being likely to be doing the drive through for her kids daily, but i sure as shit can see her giving adult sized portions to tiny people out of 'love' and 'care'.

there are so many layers to it... but seeing big parents feed big kids just makes me so sad...its inexcusable when a fat toddler is eating 10 mcnuggets and drinking coke. my 5 month old neice is just starting solids...and she ate hot chips before she ate stewed apples, rice pudding or mashed pumpkin. its also about portion control. I don't see Swan as being likely to be doing the drive through for her kids daily, but i sure as shit can see her giving adult sized portions to tiny people out of 'love' and 'care'.

A friends sister was diagnosed with high cholesterol at like 10 or 11... She WILL have problems I guarantee it. I mistake her for her mum from behind and she has only just started high school. I remember one day (her parents just let her eat whatever whenever by the way) she came out at about 530 with a bowl or ice cream. I said what the hell are you doing its almost dinner and your stuffing your face with ice cream, her reply was no I'm not it's whipped cream with lollies in it...!!! What the hell! I was so close to back handing her but what can you do when it's not your kid :/

Backhand her anyway for being a fatty

Want to do this to my sister so bad sometimes. My niece is a grot and I level the blame at mum and dad. Been adult portions or bigger since age 6 (now 12) eat dessert everyday and has always been chunky.

Shes gotten into swimming in the last year which I think has levelled out her weight but she certainly hasnt lost any. Her mum and dad are so retarded.

Oh we're going to get a her a sports nuritionist so she eats the right things before competitions. How about you feed her the right things day in and out, she loses 10 kilos (shes a big girl) and she'll be 5 seconds a lap faster not the 0.02 secs she'll get out of 'the right pre comp feed'

FFS idiots. Grinds my gears big time.

Id say a sports nutrutionist would give them during the week advice rather than race day advice.

Tho they sound like kinda ppl who wouldnt heed it anyway.

Not your kids not your family not your life.

Stop assuming that you have the right to dictate
how I should bring my family up!

It's like saying I can't smack my own kids..!!

Devante.

For someone who claims to have been on a diet forever, she knows shit about nutrition...

My three-year-old eats too much good stuff. Turns out that four bananas a day, if you're only one metre tall, will make you fat. And if you throw in three mandarins, a punnet of strawberries and four Cheestiks, you're in a pair of size-6 elasticised jeans before you can say, "Is it crèche today?"

My three-year-old is seven kilos overweight. This might not sound like much, but for a preschooler, this is a big deal. I'd noticed he'd started getting larger in the past 12 months. Looking at photos of him taken this time last year showed a huge difference in appearance.

Sure, he'd grown taller. He'd had his first proper haircut, where his cherubic blond curls had been snipped away to reveal a very serious and surprisingly dark businessman's hairdo. But his baby softness had gone, too. In its place was a little boy who was just too heavy. I denied and denied. Then I started to panic. Then I went straight to Google.

Immediately, juice was banned. No juice. Not even diluted. He reacted to this new rule not unlike a possessed child being splashed with holy water. He writhed. He screamed. I think I actually saw his head rotate 360 degrees. But the no-juice rule stayed.

I was put on my first diet at the age of 11. This involved turning up to group meetings with grown women in a church hall, slipping off my shoes and being publicly weighed. I was counting kilojoules and whipping skim milk into fluff, as a snack, before I had left primary school. I didn't want anything like this for my son. But in my desire to avoid the demonisation of food and the low self-esteem it inevitably creates, I had unwittingly set my beautiful son on a rocky path.

It wasn't until I took him to his first day of crèche that I saw how different he was. The other kids seemed so small compared to my little sweetheart, whose shoes and pants were at least two sizes bigger. Mild panic set in. What happens if someone is mean to him? What happens when, after three years of being told he is magnificent, someone tells him otherwise, based on his weight? I could barely breathe.

Last month, he had his check-up with the maternal health nurse, and that was when the news of his extra seven kilos was broken. The nurse was wonderful about it, and I'm certain it's not an easy conversation to have. Mercifully, my concern was palpable. She knew I was out of my depth and gently suggested I go to see a paediatric dietitian.

This sent me into a spiral. For as long as I can remember, eating disorders and an obsession with weight have been a girls-only domain. Girls I knew in the '80s were eating only a packet of chicken-noodle soup and a green apple for the entire day. And they were 13. I was one of them. Sadly, statistics show that boys are not immune to this madness.

I imagined turning up to a clinical office, my baby being stripped and weighed. I imagined this as the day his self-loathing would be born. I called the dietitian and asked if it was necessary for her to sight my son, as I was paranoid about him being made to feel that he was anything less than perfect. She assured me it was necessary to see him, but it would be okay.

I knew she would ask me what a typical day of food entailed for him and I thought she would think I was lying. But this is a child who doesn't know chicken nuggets. He's never had a fish finger. He hates cream. Sure, he loses his mind and acts like a kelpie off a leash at a party with cake, but don't all kids?

I told her what he eats. Fruit. Lots of fruit. Cheese. Toast. Chicken breast. No meat. He will eat around the meat in a spaghetti bolognaise, which is quite a skill. She listened intently for 20 minutes while I expressed my bafflement. Then she helped me.

My three-year-old eats too much good stuff. Turns out that four bananas a day, if you're only one metre tall, will make you fat. And if you throw in three mandarins, a punnet of strawberries and four Cheestiks, you're in a pair of size-6 elasticised jeans before you can say, "Is it crèche today?"

My shame for getting him into this mess has turned to relief. He's now eating all the things he knows and loves, just far less of them ... and not every day!

But we are the lucky ones. We can afford to see a professional who will probably change our lives. We are also a family who know about good food, grow vegetables and always have a bowl of fruit on the table (or up high in the pantry now, to stop the daily disappearance of five kiwi fruit).

What happens to the kids whose families have no idea about nutrition, and no money to talk to someone about it? I am an educated woman with a wealth of knowledge about food, and even I stuffed up badly. It's all very well to bleat on about the obesity epidemic, but until we make education about basic nutrition accessible for everyone, it will just get worse.