• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Adam Coe

PTC

I spoke about Adam in another thread, I thought I'd mention him here.

Adam is regarded as Australias best powerlifter ever. His record in the 100kg class was set 16 years ago and wont be broken. The advancements in suits and wraps is massive since he lifted.

He used a narrow grip bench to his nipples, no deadlift suit, single ply bench shirt and squat suit.

His best lifts are

Squat - 370kg
Bench - 245kg
Deadlift - 355kg

His best total at 100kg is 960kg, still the number one ranked total ever in Australian powerlifting.

Watching him compete, he looked like a bodybuilder more than a powerlifter.

adam3.jpg

Adam is in red.

Here are some pics of him lifting.

adam4.jpg

ac2.jpg

adam2.jpg

ac1.jpg

adam5.jpg

ac3.jpg

The above photo is at Tarzan & Jane gym where I trained. That is Leigh Whizzby with Adam, massive man and a strong powerlifter, riot squad in the police force. This pic is in 1989.

Hope you guys enjoy this trip down memory lane.

Adam now lives in Perth and is involved with CAPO.

Last edited:
Nice post Markos. I always enjoy seeing the oldschool photos, seems like things just used to get done back then. Strong guy with an impressive build as well.

If that big brother in the last photo was a riot policeman and I saw him, I think I'd go do my rioting somewhere else, what a unit.

During this period, powerlifting was massive.

There were trophies for all 3 place getters in each weight class.

Now because they cant even get 3 lifters in each weight class, they run it as one class and use Wilks to determine the winner.

Crowds were huge as well, there was only the one federation. Squats were deep. The sport splintered and more federations sprang up.

All of a sudden everyone wanted the records in their federation, so they passed suspect lifts.

And still they cant beat Adams total. I would hate to guess what Adams total would be with a triple ply shirt or denim, same goes with the squat suit.

I spotted Adam benching over 200kg for reps many times, raw, he got very little out of the equipment back in the day. Without a doubt he would be approaching 1100kg. His deadlift pictured is in a lifting singlet and belt lol

I actually remember Adam when he first started lifting. He trained in a footy jumper, stuck to the 3 big lifts with some chins and rows, thats it.

I know droo, he taught my brother the same way, I hate it. You still see suicide grip a lot.

PTC - you say that CAPO is having trouble with members, but isnt IPF the major powerlifting fed in Australia?

IPF is like a beacon of light compared to the american federations with their multiply suits and monolifts. Its strict on form, squat depth and is quite thorough in drug testing.

Last edited:
The only way the sport can take off again in Oz is one Federation, were simply too small to have numerous federations.

Talking to the presidents, no way it'll happen.

Thats why we have 12 registered powerlifters with CAPO in Victoria.

Because thats normal.

Its just that most that lift weights have really weak legs. Most powerlifters squat more than they deadlift. The world record is higher in the squat than the deadlift by nearly 100kg.

Not with Adam. His squat suit was single ply.

Back in those days suits and shirts gave very, very little.

Paul Anderson squatted 900lbs x 10 without a suit, he cound never deadlift 900lbs x 1

--"No IPF in Vic, just like no CAPO in NSW"

There seems to be a lot of anti-powerlifting sentiment here & mis-information. IPF is in vic & in a big way. Look at powerliftingaustralia.com, next comp in victoria is on 20th Feb, come along and see it is not all triple ply, half squats etc. The classic rules of powerlifting are applied very strictly, moreso than at your garage events (which look like a lot of fun & full credit to you for doing this) but point is real powerlifting still goes on, maybe you guys should get involved, you may find it a great challenge.

P.S. Yeah, Adam was/is one of Australia's best ever lifters & a nice guy who is always ready to help out.

Last edited by a moderator:
--"No IPF in Vic, just like no CAPO in NSW"

There seems to be a lot of anti-powerlifting sentiment here & mis-information. IPF is in vic & in a big way. Look at powerliftingaustralia.com, next comp in victoria is on 20th Feb, come along and see it is not all triple ply, half squats etc. The classic rules of powerlifting are applied very strictly, moreso than at your garage events (which look like a lot of fun & full credit to you for doing this) but point is real powerlifting still goes on, maybe you guys should get involved, you may find it a great challenge.

P.S. Yeah, Adam was/is one of Australia's best ever lifters & a nice guy who is always ready to help out.

Not anti powerlifting, I actually love all strength sports.

At AD10 we had Shorty and Simon Chan compete. Both do very well on a National stage, with Simon qualifying for the Junior Worlds.

Might be a garage event, but Simon could only manage 6th, 150kg behind the winner. Its your snide remark about garages that keeps powerlifting in the dungeon.

I wasnt going to mention this, but f u c k it, I will. Some powerlifter from your fed rolled up on the Sunday, 100kg guy, ranked 6th in Oz. Told us about his total.300kg squat, 200kg bench, 300kg dead....assisted

He walked over to pick up my granite Stone lol, he couldnt, skinny little 70kg Nick picked up on his first ever attempt. He didnt believe us.

Next he tried the PTC DB. Missed the press. The winner got 18 reps, little 17yo 64kg Daryl got 3 reps. This guy is a nice guy, but he displayed to everyone watching that one dimensional training may not be the best way to train.

Functional raw strength is what I promote. Shorty finished top 5 from memory at Nationals, finished 21st out of 27 in the strongman, squats 170kg deadlifts 210kg, no functional strength, he'll tell you that himself. Daryl is the same height and weight, 4 months of training our way, he finished 11th out of 27 in the strongman. He finished 8th in the 5 lift on Wilks, 4 months training, 2 spots behind Simon.

Simon chose to not compete in the Strongman.

I honestly believe our way of training is far superior than assisted lifts done with the sole goal of moving more weight, but not nessacarily getting stronger.

Yes, its only a garage, but EVERYONES invited.

Come visit sometime, you will be most welcome.

I may come to your next comp. No PTC lifter will lift with mummys though, raw is raw, strong is strong.

Send us a pm with details of comp please

Hey PTC,
Apologies if the tone of my message came out a bit disrespectful, that certainly wasn’t the intention. I really only posted to clear up the misconception that there is no IPF competition in Victoria so that people knew this was an option IF that’s what they’re after.
That was basically it, although secondly I wanted to make the point that people who compete in equipment can be strong out of the equipment too. Strong in SQ/BP/DL, that is, its horses for courses, powerlifting has nothing to do with lifting stones so I’m not surprised it wasn’t the strong point of a couple of powerlifters.
Anyway I agree with your last line, ‘Strong is Strong’.
See site: powerliftingwatch dot com /node/14318
A great ‘Mummy’ lifter (past IPF World Champ) lifting huge numbers without being ‘mumified’ , enough said.
Here is the comp details:
powerliftingaustralia dot com /Forms/2010MelbourneSummerBash.pdf
P.S. Yes, powerlifting would be a better sport without the equipment, but for what it’s worth I choose to take it as it is.
Good luck on your strength journey.