• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Whats is the Best way to increase Speed?? (Sprinting)

S

SuperCut1980

I am playing Rugby next year, and need to increase my speed. I would like to get under 12secs for the 100m... Any tips?:)

Hiit training.

explosive squats controlled decent and explode up 60%1rm 10 x 3

Need to work on those fast twitch fibres

Thanks for the Advice,

My main problem are my legs are big enough as is. I have tried this before, and they get too big... I dont know why. I have tried explosive step ups and squats, all they do is make my shorts tighter....

You can only run as fast as you can swing your arms... Don't just focus on your lower body being explosive but work on your upper body too.

Hahaha, no when I do any type of resistance training on my legs, they Explode. I have big legs as is, and when I do resitance training, they get TOO big. And then they actually slow me down.....

Anyone have any sprint programs??

you could always do, for example 30meter sprints, since the first part of the 100m sprint is often i've found difficult since you've got no mommentum...so if you actually increase your 30m time, then your 100m time could possibly improve

As PowerBuilder said, focus on your 30m sprint. You'll find most sprinters seldom sprint 100m for their training, it's about improving their reaction time and their acceleration - by the 30m mark they've usually hit top speed and hold that for the remaining 70m.

Doing sprints with added resistance (sand sprints, hill sprints, parachute/weighted sprints) will all help with improving your acceleration. Keep your sprint distance to 30m - that's a good gain on any rugby pitch anyway.

A good squat exercise to try is this; get yourself in to a squat rack and set the safety bars at a height that allows you to get under the oly bar in a fully squatted position. Load the bar up and squat up explosively, rack the bar on the safety pins. There are no negatives, you're focusing on the explosive, positive movement. This will build explosive strength and limit your size gains.

Don't forget your benching and rowing, rowing more-so, you want explosive strength in your upper body - ability to drive your arms back hard whilst sprinting. When doing your sprints be mindful of pumping your arms.

Go join or ask an athletics club trainer or someone
training for a 200m's.

I remember back in the day when I was training with
the guys at the athletics club they had one exercise!

It goes like this.

There was a tire attached to a cable. The cable had
a weights belt attached at one end. We would have
to strap this thing around our waist and run 25M or so.
We had 4 people so that we had adequate rest times
in between the sets. As you kept getting stronger the
trainer would shove a shot-put in there....

Also try doing "plyometrics"

From my limited knowledge.

Devante.

Hill sprints are great!! If you can get a weighted vest, do it...slowly add weight when you meet a certain time zone!!

On a side note...i went shopping for a medicine ball y'day...the dumb chick kept selling me the 'ab training' approach...somethin i honestly don't care about...i'm wanting to do things like cleans, squats, presses, throw's...........