• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help with lowering cholesterol/blood fats

monk_13

Well I have just returned from the doctor, and he basically said that my cholesterol/blood fat levels were stupidly high for someone my age. (Near enough to 30) It doesn't really surprise me too much due to my past dietary habbits, or lack of, drinking too much etc etc etc, the surprising bit was how high they were. Basically he said that if they were a couple points higher, he would of started prescribing me medication.

DO NOT WANT.

In the last couple months I have really been starting to watch what I eat, but would like a little more advice from people that know more or have had/having the same sort of problems.

Here is a basic list of foods I commonly eat:
Chicken (skinless)
Porterhouse, scotch fillet steak (I remove excess fat)
Lamb
Pork
Ham
Fish (Swordfish/salmon)
Rice
Potato
Low fat milk
Lean beef mince
Eggs (usually poached or scrambled)
Very rarely use butter/marg in any cooking
Extra virgin olive oil
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Carrots
Peas
Beans
Corn
Capsicum
Multigrain bread
Weetbix if I have cereal
Lettuce
Tomato
Onion
Garlic (fresh)
Strawberries
Bananas
Mushrooms

Supps/vitamins:
BSN Syntha-6 (best tasting one I have found so far)
Green tea tabs
Glucosamine
Fish oil
Multi (currently centrum)

My drinking has been cut down to almost nil since starting at the gym again, Still smoking although patches have been purchased, and I will be quitting this time, I dont drink much in the way of soft drinks, fruit juices or coffee.

Thoughts on anything I should add, cut out or limit?

Oh and I will be stepping up my cardio work a notch as well, instead of avoiding it.

Cheers
Shane.

Do you like tuna? Great source of protein in a tin. If I ever feel like pigging out on crap, I have a can of tuna and a pint of milk and thats usually enough to put me off wanting to eat anything else.

Egg yolks are quite high in cholesterol so have you considered removing them from your diet?

I'm not the worlds greatest tinned tuna fan at all. Freshly cooked however is another matter.

How I have my eggs isnt really up to me, too much, as I spend most of my time at camp (I work 2 and 1 in a mine up north) so I figured poached would be the best option there. In saying that though, when at home Ill try and cut the yolk out as much as possible.

As for the fish oil caps, I am taking 6 a day. Bottle recommends 12 a day to help the joints, which is why I started taking them. Too much? not enough?

I think a major part in this is the quality of food and how it is cooked whilst I'm away at work. Most things are dripping in oil/fat, the salads/fruit far from fresh etc. They preach about 'taking the healthy option' but it seems that they, also decide to take the cheapest option as well. Don't get me wrong the food isn't always bad, but it is definitely not the healthiest...

Cheers.

Just a query mate, how much do you weigh and how tall are you? Not going to offer and advice, however you seem to be in a similar situation to me and your diet is also quite similar.

Theres a tined Tuna called Sarina or something like that, you will change your mind about Tuna after tasting this stuff.

Height is around 175ish and currently hovering around the 85kg mark, scoreless.

Cheers for the links guys! Have had a look around, and still doing a little more looking into things, but by the sounds of things so far if i keep up the exercise, and a decent diet the test the doc booked me in for in a couple months (comparison test) will hopefully show things are alot better!