• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Disc problem with lower back.

The Hulk

Active Member, Site Advertiser
Any body had this, how did you overcome it?

I can't believe it.
I was just doing a single squat with a weight of 60kg down to a milk crate yesterday, and just before the bottom, I felt a sharp paralising pain in my lower back, my form was slow and perfect.
It left me a little stunned/paralised for a minute or 2 and I couldn't straighten my back for a few minutes.

Went to the physio same day and said it seems like a disc problem.
My lower back rounds inwards a bit, and I think I pinched a nerve or something.
I've had a sore lower back a few times before when squatting too low and my back rounds at the bottom, but that definately didn't happen this time.

Now I'm worried it will come back again.
First time I ever had this problem was doing a vertical leg press about 5 years ago, and it was bad like this.
However, that was due to back rounding as my knees pretty much went to chest.
This time happened because of back rounding inwards rather than outwards.

It seems the only way to stop it is to keep lower back perfectly flat.
Need more flexibility.

Any advice on recovering from this, still painfull now, and rehabilitation exercises or stretches to become more flexible and how to avoid it happening again?

Thanks

its called the butt wink.. i do it a little bit.. am working on trying not to do it.

That's when your lower back rounds a little and hips tuck under if you go too deep right?

The thing is, I don't do that any more.
It's more like the opposite, where my lower back concaved in a little if anything, rather than rounding out.

Without an xray or MRI the physio is just guessing. If it keeps causing issues shell out for an MRI and at least know what you're dealing with.

I have recurring disc problems. Core work (front squat and ab rollouts mainly) and stretching of the hamstrings, glutes and hip flexors really helps me.

Best advice would be what NPR said, get it checked and get ready for a very long and frustrating recovery, just out of curiosity did you do any ab exercises prior to this?

Thanks NPR for the advice, I think I will start stretching a little from now on.
Lazy, didn't do any abs or anything before this, I was only doing a single rep while at work, to compare form with a workmate, it was only 60kg.

Hopefully, it won't be a long recovery this time.
I was in alot of pain the first night and couldn't sleep well, but today 48 hours after the incident, I feel pretty good and only a slight hint of pain, so hopefully it will be a quick recovery.