• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Periodisation?

tonyharrison

I have been trying to get my head around periodisation and planning my own program for longer periods. I've had a go at forumulating a program with the goal of increasing strength, power and size. I want to do a planned program for a month and then re measure my 1RMs.

So i read some articles and ran into some terms. This is how I understood it.

Repetitive method: 3-5 sets each excercise (8-15 reps), using 60-80% 1RM, 2-3 mins rest.
I see this as standard hypertrophy bodybuilding routine

Maximal method: 5-10 sets, 1-5 reps, 85-100% 1 RM, 3-7 mins rest
Pure strength training

Dynamic method: 6-10 sets, 1-5 reps, 50-70% 1 RM, 45-90 secs rest
Speed training

So i tried my hand at programing for a month. 3 days a week, full body sessions; workouts a, b and c

Week1
A Repetitive: squat, dumbell press, row, bench, curl
B Maximal: squat, press, chin, bench, deadlift
C Dynamic: front squat, high pull, dip, powerclean

Week2
A Maximal: squat, bench, chin, press, deadlift
B Dynamic: front squat, barbell row, 1 arm dumbell press, rdl
C Maximal: squat, press, pullup, bench, powerclean

Week 3
A Dynamic; squat, row, press, powerclean
B Maximal: Front squat, chin, bench, deadlift
C Dynamic: Squat, high pull, press, rdl

Week 4
A Maximal: Squat, press, chin , bench, deadlift
B Dynamic: Front squat, row, 1 arm press, powerclean
C Repetitive: Squat, dumbell press, row, dip, chin

Would this be a mini example of periodisation? or is it too mixed up? or have i got no idea?

What your talking about is westside's conjugate method, which is basically a combination of block periods (eg hypertrophy, strength) in one routine, but that isnt exactly periodisation.

Periodisation is basically where there is a stress, the body supercompensates to that stress and comes back stronger.

Generally beginners will use daily periodisation (because they can supercompensate after a single session), intermediates weekly and advanced lifters monthly.

There are a lot of different ways you could organise it - for example, on a recovery day you could use a lower percentage of your 1RM, or you could use an exercise that stresses CMS to a lesser extent (eg replacing back squats with front squats).

Probs best to check out practical programming for a laymen's guide to periodisation.

i think you may be doing too many compounds, lol. usually on a max effort day it would just be one exercise or 2, then 2 supplemental exercises then an accessory.

also a 4 day split would work better, upper/lower. repetition method can be used to replace dynamic method. but can put a big strain on the recovery process, so use it sparingly.

there are good programs out there, let them do all the thinking. Find one you like, tweak it a bit and then give it a try.

Last edited:
periodization is a wonderful thing. You can build periodize your program on a weekly, monthly or yearly plan. It's a science & one worth learning from. There are a lot of good plans out there, that pretty much all work....pick one up & tweek it. Don't bother with re-inveting the wheel

I talk about this in my latest newsletter, best you guys not read it lol

Interesting read this topic, please continue

Too much theory not enough blood sweat and chalk. Or food for that matter.

NPR,

Whilst most people will never need anything beyond weekly periodisation (joe average won't plan a 6 month cycle to set a PR in his garage) a basic understanding of it is vital - you can't squat your max every session and expect to make good gains, particularly if you're squatting 250+, regardless how much maccas you eat.

i think that its important that people change up their reps/sets, volume and exercises used, otherwise gains will slow.

nothing wrong with training smart. I also like reading and learning about it, this sport would be boring if i just lifted weights.
in saying that, periodization 5th edition is dull read. up to page 43 of 340.

All you big strong theorists are invited to compete with the strong dumb athletes at PTC in January at Australia Day 2010, bring your strong, and your 500 Wilks, but leave your belts at home.

Oli, I see you only rate powerlifting and you ommit anything to do with Olympic lifts. Do a little research on how they lift, and how often, you may be shocked.

More than one way to skin a cat.

Your powerlifts are okay, but there are more than 3 lifts, especially overhead and a quick lifts, that I'm not sure you place emphasis on.

I hope to meet you one day, I admire your passion. Any plans on competing at powerlifting any time soon?

All you big strong theorists are invited to compete with the strong dumb athletes at PTC in January at Australia Day 2010

pull your head in boss. 1) I admit i'm not massively strong (yet), 2) who here has called PTC athletes strong & dumb ?

All you big strong theorists are invited to compete with the strong dumb athletes at PTC in January at Australia Day 2010, bring your strong, and your 500 Wilks, but leave your belts at home.

Oli, I see you only rate powerlifting and you ommit anything to do with Olympic lifts. Do a little research on how they lift, and how often, you may be shocked.

More than one way to skin a cat.

Your powerlifts are okay, but there are more than 3 lifts, especially overhead and a quick lifts, that I'm not sure you place emphasis on.

I hope to meet you one day, I admire your passion. Any plans on competing at powerlifting any time soon?

Thanks.

I've never been too interested in the olympic lifts - I like it how with powerlifts you can overcome a lack of technique through raw strength. I work on pull ups, cleans, overhead presses and weighted sit ups a lot, but only in the context that they build my squat/bench/deadlift.

I'm thinking about doing a few meets next year in the IPF but a few things put me off:
1) Distance - I live in Newcastle, its not easy to get into sydney to do a meet.
2) Gear - it sucks going up against people wearing a super kantana. I'd buy one myself, but they're mindblowingly expensive (not to mention that you have to replace them when new models come out, when you get more experienced, when you change weight and just regularly to keep their elasticity). Not only that but I'm just not passionate about training in them.
3) You've had experience with powerlifters - they're generally pretty weird :p

An IPF champion at my uni asked if I'd like to start training with him, I declined because I actually live a reasonable distance from the city (maitland) and like training by myself. I might just meet up with him a couple of times in the holidays though.

So yeah, no idea what I'll do. Of late some of my friends have asked me about learning to lift, one of them is a country boy who doesnt **** around so with a bit of luck I'll get them keen and we can just do our own local 'meets' at my place once every couple of months.

This is where it gets interesting.

Olympic lifters lift WAY more often than powerlifters (sometimes x12 a week as opposed to x4) but they're under the bar for seconds, and the lift has no eccentric portion.

Also a lot of them use periodisation to an insane degree - I know the US team vary volume so that they only max out once every 3 months.

The US Olympic team hasnt won a medal since the 70's.

Maybe you should use a better example lol

Look to the Chinese and Europeans, you know, the ones that win.

Actually your example displays brilliantly what NOT to do

Yeah. I mean, if your team maxes out every three months, yet don't score very well in the olympic games....it's obviously working....right ?

Shit I reckon I could be in with a shot in a few years if I did oly lifts seriously. Our guy came 9th.

To gain spots at the Olympics, a country has to do well at the World Championships.

At Beijing, Australia was allotted 2 spots, one male and one female, total. The competition for these 2 spots were held at Hawthorn.

Neither representative lifted in the "a" group.

We are light years away from being competetive on the international scene.

The best in the world train multiple times a day, Australia and the US train multiple times a week. Obviously were not getting it done.

Australias best lifter of recent times was Botev. He efected from Bulgaria lol

Lukin won gold in LA 25 years ago during the boycotted games, no Russians or Eastern Block countries went.

I didnt see a single lifter at the recent WC representing Australia, there may have been some in the "b" group which wasnt televised.

Powerlifting and Weightlifting are not growth sports in Australia, no funding means poor results.

Do it because you love it, best reward there is.

PTC will be holding its own little Weightlifting comp shortly. Plenty of lifters can now execute the C&J and Snatch in correct form.

Best Jerks are

Armando 110kg
Nick 110kg
Max 105kg

Snatch

Armando 90kg
Nick 70kg
Alen 67.5kg
Max 65kg

These are correct lifts with no pressout.

Low numbers to start with, but 2 years ago the biggest squat at our first comp was 145kg lol. The bench was worse at 120kg.

Back on topic