• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bench Press Technique Video

L

-LJ-

Caution Swearing

[YOUTUBE]Dh3t6T-nqP0[/YOUTUBE]

I tried the arched back last time I benched and found it a lot easier. I'm still working on trying to be tight in my traps and having my elbows and wrists under the bar at all times. I thought it was a good video.

It looks like he is lowering the bar to below his pecs, I always thought it was sopposed to be basically inline with your nipples?

Any one else?

when it comes to bench pressing in terms of powerlifting, it's almost comes down to cheating, getting the smallest range of motion for the most amount of weight, so if the bar comes down & touches your sternum & not your nipples....that's a shorter range of motion.

I dont often bench press without an arch

Powerbuilder, I benched 165kg @ 90kg with no arch, no shirt, elbows out, to the nipples.

Strong is strong.

Morgan and the others are right. Press correctly.

Powerlifters bench that way to take advantage of their bench shirt. Its a different lift to the regular raw bench. If your going to wear a shirt and your belly is your highest point when laying down, then by all means emulate your heroes.

Judging by your pics, your belly is not your highest point, your chest is. Try benching to it to shorten your ROM.

You guys pick the worst role models.

At the end of the day, some size to go with that strength isnt a bad thing, lets try and develop the muscle were training, just for shits and giggles.

You dissed Dorian Yates for drug taking in another thread, do you think Dave Tate and other belly benches may have dabbled in performance enhancing drugs?

You dissed Dorian Yates for drug taking in another thread, do you think Dave Tate and other belly benches may have dabbled in performance enhancing drugs?

fior starters, i wouldn't say that i 'dissed' Dorian for his chemical enhancement. He did what he had to do to climb to the top. Does Dave Tate & the westside guys use things more than creatine & glutamine to get the edge? ha....of course.

Well I posted this video as my bench is struggling. I thought I had more of a technique problem or just my chest muscles were lagging behind.

Bench is 60kg 3 x 5
Squat is 95kg 3 x 5
Powerclean 55kg by 1
Deadlift is 120kg by 1

It does help me keep tight by started with the head of the bench and then moving forward keeping the feet in the same place.

One thing I am concerned about with bench pressing is the lack of movement of the scapula, something to think a out.
I've never really been a fan of barbell bench pressing.

For argument sake- what do you think is the best exercise for the developing pec's?

One thing I am concerned about with bench pressing is the lack of movement of the scapula, something to think a out.
I've never really been a fan of barbell bench pressing.

For argument sake- what do you think is the best exercise for the developing pec's?

Wide Grip Bench press full ROM and Dumbbell Flyes IMO.

The most success I have had for pec development was dips. I did millions of these, going up to hanging 150lb DB's off a belt.

I guess my leverages were suited to the lift.

Well I posted this video as my bench is struggling. I thought I had more of a technique problem or just my chest muscles were lagging behind.

Bench is 60kg 3 x 5
Squat is 95kg 3 x 5
Powerclean 55kg by 1
Deadlift is 120kg by 1

It does help me keep tight by started with the head of the bench and then moving forward keeping the feet in the same place.

I dont think any one lift is really lagging, they are all in decent proportion to the others.

You just need to get stronger all over.

Your strength is basically the same as mine was mid 2007.

I dont think any one lift is really lagging, they are all in decent proportion to the others.

You just need to get stronger all over.

Your strength is basically the same as mine was mid 2007.

Well my squat went up to 100kg 3 x 5 today.

I also deadlifted 140kg by 1 today also.

My bench stayied at 60kg 3 x 5.

This is after getting a gym membership at the end of August.

I deloaded and went with 35kg and tried to do 5 x 10 to see if that helps as deloading has helped with my squats and deadlifts.

The most success I have had for pec development was dips. I did millions of these, going up to hanging 150lb DB's off a belt.

I guess my leverages were suited to the lift.

Agree when I started to do weighted dips my bench imporved. I did find however that if I focused on them too much I would arch up heaps more doing heavy bench. So I would balance it with incline db presses aswell as it helps to involve the delts more so you can acheieve a heavy lift whilst laying flater. Also front raises help i recon. esp if you are an elbow forward kind of bencher. I tend to fly.