• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New Routine

Bluey

8 weeks out from the PTC AD10 comp and im looking at changin up my routine as my gains have slowed and im finding it easier/less draining to get through the sessions.

Currently looks like this: (hope the formatting sticks) EDIT: Didnt stick, ill fix it.
Mon –
Squat 1x20
Flat Bench 5x8
2 inch board Deadlift 5x5
DB shoulder press 3x6
DB curl 3x6
Seated calf raise 3x8
Wed –
Squat 5x5
Bent row 3x8
Close grip bench 3x5
Dips 3x12
Chins 5xmax
Sumo Deadlifts 5x5
Fri –
Incline bench 5x5
Military press 5x6
BB curl 3x6
Power clean 3x3
Front Squats 5x5
Wide stance bench squat 5x5

Would be changing to

Monday

Hang Clean
Power Clean
High Pull
Incline Bench
Romanian Deadlift
Deadlift

Wednesday

Back Squat
Bent Row
Bench Press
Snatches
Chins
DB Press

Friday

Front Squat
Military Press
Clean and Jerk
Bench Squat
Dips
DB Curl

What are peoples thoughts?

8 weeks out and I want to put 10kg on everything in my best below in my sig (attempting deadlift/squat PB tonight, expecting 200/165kg)

Last edited:
I had some good routines in my latest newsletter Simon, # 107, did you get it yet, I emailed out at lunch time.

I used one from todays newsletter for Mondays, I took out clean pulls though.

Looking at it again, weds and fri are more of a reshuffle of my existing routine then anything else. If i change the sets/reps is that enough to give me a kick on the arse or should I look at some alternate movements? Obviously keeping the core deads, squats etc.

bluey print a copy out and we'll discuss it tonight at gym. i got a few ideas. but like markos i to think its to much

So ive been thinking it over. My workout normally last around 2 hours. I dont have an issue with that, some say limit yourself to an hour, others could go all day.

I workout Monday to Friday, lifting 3 days and doing crossfit 2 days and im finding by Thursday im pretty shagged. So im thinking im going to drop Thursday Xfit.

So Mondays im going to do Markos's PC workout.

Wednesdays and Fridays to look like this:

Wednesday

Back Squat 3x8

Front Squat 3x8 superset
Bent Row 3x8

Bench Press 3x8 superset
CG bench 3x8
Friday

Squat 1x20
Military Press 5x6
Clean and Jerk 5x3
Wide Stance Bench Squat 5x5

Thoughts? I have 50kg to put on my total in 8 weeks to hit my goals.

I reckon its a mess Simon.

Back squats and front squats on the same day I would doubt would be much help. Nor would supersetting normal bench with CG bench.

And your bench squats on friday will be pointless after 20 reppers.

I'm going to be lifting 4 days a week trying to bring all my lifts up. It should go something like this.

MONDAY:
Clean & Jerk
Squat Cleans
Clean Pulls
Back Squats
Good Mornings

WED:
Deadlift training @ PTC
heavy bench and tricep work
Glute Ham Raises

Friday:
More clean & Jerk training, similar to monday
Front Squats
Good Mornings

Saturday:
Different deadlift training to Wednesday
Speed bench & tricep assistance work
Glute Ham Raises
Strongman Training

So 2 days focus on clean, overhead and squats. The other 2 focus on deadlift and bench. Its just an experiment but I'll see how it goes.

Thanks Nick, any feedback is good. I was thinking overload the muscles on the same day and force a reaction... perhaps it is just too much.

Ill play around and try again. Thanks. Good luck with your program :)

How about something even more simple (this is my workout btw):

Monday (homeostatis disruption - high volume/moderate intensity)
5x5 Squats
5x5 Bench
8x3 Power Cleans
*Abdominal work*

Wednesday (light - low volume/low intensity)
3x3 Front Squat
3x5 Press
3x15 Pull ups
*abdominal work

Friday (PR day - low volume/high intensity)
1x5 Squat
1x5 Bench
1x5 Deadlift
*Abdominal work
*Arm work

Yeah, the concept of 2 steps forward, one step back routine is pretty clever. I have the 2nd edition of SS & PP.

There's a pretty good block of the advanced section that talks about it. As tempting as it is to give it a shot, i think I'll stick to the texas model for a while, until it's stale. Mind you, if you think about it, there's a good 2-3 years worth of experimenting until you can't add any more weight!!

Yeah, the concept of 2 steps forward, one step back routine is pretty clever. I have the 2nd edition of SS & PP.

Yeah, I find it funny how everyone sucks on Wendler's bumhole - 5/3/1 is pretty much a hybrid of 'two steps forward, one step back'.

I need to pick up PP 2nd ed, along with his dvd/book of quotes and to a lesser extent strong enough and Starr's 5x5. A bit broke though :(

There's a pretty good block of the advanced section that talks about it. As tempting as it is to give it a shot, i think I'll stick to the texas model for a while, until it's stale. Mind you, if you think about it, there's a good 2-3 years worth of experimenting until you can't add any more weight!!

tbh I dont think I'll ever leave TM - being a uni student my life is one where when exams come you have to put down the ducky. I don't think I'd be able to program 2-3 months ahead, let alone six...

Hate to break it to you guys but these exercises are decades old. Every single concievable set/rep scheme has been done before, a long time before.

What I dislike is the fact that these recent guys like Wendler, Rippletoe, the weak tiny dude from Starting Strength put their names to programs like they own them lol

Rippletoes one is very sound and should produce excellent results until you need to move on.

Most speak about these programs like they are the missing link.

Its just squatting, pulling and pressing. The order, frequency, reps, sets dont matter nearly as much as the effort.

You boys are doing really well, not because Ripple arranged the perfect sequence but because you busted your asses on basic compound movements.

For the record, Jim Wendler looks better and lifts more than all of them, but his program is ancient. Really really old.

lol, I know what you mean PTC. I guess the reason I like Rippetoe so much is that he makes periodization in daily/weekly/monthly form make a lot more sense - I dont think I could pick up a copy of Matveyev's work and make sense of it myself. Also his general advice on stuff like form and equipment lets me hit the ground running from the start rather than spending 30+ years trying to figure it out myself.

Thanks for the compliments though and btw - Rips deadlift was almost as big as Wendlers ;)

I simplified back to 4 movements a session in the end covering the squat, press and pull each session. Should be good.

What I really like about Rips plan is the squatting every session, but using diff rep schemes.

Anyone that got a program/diet off me knows I favour that system