• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift/Squat comparo

PTC

What % of your deadlift can you squat.

I've always stated that I work on weaknesses with my clients, and I believe there is a correlation here.

Looking at World Records is tricky because the best lifters wear assistance gear, which helps tremendously with your squat but not so much with your deadlift.

Most of you will find it amusing that of the 3 powerlifts, the 1000lb barrier was broken first in the squat, then bench press, followed last by the deadlift.

Speak to any lifter and there deadlift is higher than squat and bench.

I feel they should be very close. Grip may be an issue for races, like Maori's, Islanders and Hawaiins, but in the most part it should be close.

I discussed this in my recent newsletter, here are some examples.

Nick squats 91% of his deadlift 230/210

Max squats 81% 200/162.5

Little Nick squats 60% 192.5/115

Fat Dave squats 81% 215/175

Alen squats 75% 220/165

Kelly squats 69% 245/170

I consider anywhere above 80% as acceptable, anything lower means more work under the bar.

Whats your percentage?

No, it just shows that your strength is fairly balanced.

This is not a weak/strong comparo, its too ensure that lifters are balanced.

There will be some guys though who have a genetic advantage, such as long arms or short shins, who will be way out of whack.

Brent deadlifts 220kg and squats 120kg, thats a mere 55%. I didnt mention him because he has the longest shins on the planet, he is around 200cm tall. His numbers wont reflect his work ethic, just his genetic leverages.

mines squat 125kg and dead 185kg. i dont need to work the percentage out to see its very unbalanced*

*i dont know how to work out the percentage and my girlfriend wont help me :(

Deadlift 110kg
Squat 90kg

81%

I don't get how some people can squat more than they can deadlift?

140kg deadlift 120kg squat = 86%

Not sure if they would be the same for 1rm as i have never done them. these are both for 10 reps. might have to test out my 1rm to get a better idea.

it was a guess, but , thanks for that...

So if compring the 3 big lifts, marcos, how close do you think bench should be??? also within 70%??

Or would you claim the squat as a basis, and say the dead 20% more and bench 20% less?

Last edited:
No comparison can be done with upper body to lower body.

The squat and deadlift basicly uses the same muscles.

You guys are doing pretty well and are quite balanced. Nice to see not many are avoiding the squat.

Nick just missed a 216kg squat last night. He had just done a 200kg box squat to a 29cm low box. I feel if he hadnt done that he would have made the 216kg as he wasnt that far off.

That would give him 94%. Mine was 96.5%, strangely similar, although Nick is stronger.

i could prolly go over that 132.5 a little bit with a sumo approach & some chalk (i've never used chalk, so i'm assumin' it'd make a world of difference

180/135 - 75% my squat is a couple months old where my dead was about 2 weeks ago. my squat should go to 140-145. so around 80%