• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

sugar cravings

hey all,ever since i started going to the gym again i have been haveing mean sugar cravings,dougnuts,snickers bars etc and offcourse i give in to them.I am thinking the cravings are due to being a little tired from the 45mins of gym i do at night, or is it that my bodyfat is droping and my brain is thinking it needs more fat or is it the muscle wanting the food for growth.
I did go and buy some hydroxycut which has the chromium for blood sugar regulation but I will use it lightly as im trying to bulk up but just want to reduce the junk food intake.
I dont really know if this is the right way to go about controlling cravings on a bulk cycle? so any ideas and experiences welcome

How old are you?

Let me get this straight... you are eating loads of sugar, trying to use a fat burner to compensate for it, and then also trying to bulk at the same time? The only "bulking" you are gonna do is become a fatty. Clean diet is just as important as working out.

Are you craving these sorts of things because you are tired or something? You probably aren't getting enough protein and carbs for energy. You are really wasting your time with what you are doing at the moment, in my opinion

gymjunkie, I assume he wants to gain muscle without gaining any fat. Unfortunately, it won't happen. You gain both, so what, lose the fat later.

Whether bulking or cutting, bin the hydroxcut, that sht will fck you up, give you headaches, heart palpitations and so on.
I dont really know if this is the right way to go about controlling cravings on a bulk cycle?
On a bulk cycle, you get to indulge your cravings :D

Seriously, there are heaps of sweet things you can have that also have a lot of nutrition in them - fruit, dried fruit, Big M, and so on. That should be your guideline, have the sweet stuff, just make sure you have sweet stuff with lots of nutrition, not empty calories like chocky bars and fries.

Yes thats it not enough carbs,I have reviewed my bulking diet and not enough carbs as I was confusing veges with carbs and hardly any fruit, also lack of sleep and long days at work.Im gona ditch the Hydroxy cut untill im on a cutting cycle after new years and all the parties etc.
Im 28years old 5'7" 82.5kgs 11%bodyfat but just getting back into bodybuilding after 4years of drinking and partying(was a competitive natural bodybuilder in my early 20s)
Thanks for the replies

Your stressed body is calling for cortisol to be released to ease the "pain". Cortisol itself makes you insulin resistant, which means you'll end up craving sweets or high GI foods, which means a vicious circle has been created. This problem can not be solved with a two minute answer here. You'll have to sit down and see what you've been doing differently so one can eye out the cause/initiater of the problem before one can fully recommend X, Y, or Z.

Before anything, if you're consuming anything with caffeine in it, then I'd advice you to stop immediately. Caffeine is a cortisol stimulant! I'll leave it here for now.

Fadi.

Last edited:
thanks bud,the cause was lack of sleep which started me on a coffee with sugar need at work which then kept me awake at night and so the cycle continued (one night i only got 1hr sleep).I also need to dial my diet in better to suit to allow more fruits and quality carbs.just got me a maximus protien+carbs powder and some unrelated coq10 just now to replace junk carbs cravings and ive put the hydroxycut on the shelf for contest prep or a cutting phase.
cheers

thanks bud,the cause was lack of sleep which started me on a coffee with sugar need at work which then kept me awake at night and so the cycle continued (one night i only got 1hr sleep).I also need to dial my diet in better to suit to allow more fruits and quality carbs.just got me a maximus protien+carbs powder and some unrelated coq10 just now to replace junk carbs cravings and ive put the hydroxycut on the shelf for contest prep or a cutting phase.
cheers

Is not a contest prep stressful enough on your system due to your body being in a state of depletion Samson? If you answer this question honestly, then you may begin to view your hydroxycut in an entirely different light.

All the best to you in however way you choose to go Sir.

Fadi.

yea I didnt want to buy the hydroxycut but they didnt have any chromium supps only in the weightloss formulas.hydroxycut is a nasty product full of caffeine(not good for high cortisol levels) which i did point out but they insisted so i bought it on the idea that id take 1 or 2 per day not the 6 that are recommended.I wont use it for comp prep as its hard enough for me to get to sleep without extra caffeine in there.My usual cutting supps are chromium,l-carnitine and a clean diet
thanks for pointing me in the right direction

yea I didnt want to buy the hydroxycut but they didnt have any chromium supps only in the weightloss formulas.hydroxycut is a nasty product full of caffeine(not good for high cortisol levels) which i did point out but they insisted so i bought it on the idea that id take 1 or 2 per day not the 6 that are recommended.I wont use it for comp prep as its hard enough for me to get to sleep without extra caffeine in there.My usual cutting supps are chromium,l-carnitine and a clean diet
thanks for pointing me in the right direction

You're welcome Samson. See if this interests you a bit: http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/8994-when-final-knockout-needed-stubborn-fat.html

Fadi.