• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Please help with my diet....

M

MADDYSMUM

Hi there, Fadi and a few of you know my background...
I recently lost 31.1 kilos since last december 08 and am now in the process of building muscle mass and toning up. I have a few pics in my profile.
What I wanted to ask was, in order to maintain my weight, I am to take in 1893 calories according to my dietician.
Now I want to add muscle, and I have protein powder, ON whey, ON Casein powder, and Creatine. This is my usual daily intake...

I WORK FULLTIME, SELF EMPLOYED, SO I AM NOT HOME TO MAKE A WELL SAT DOWN MEAL.

BREAKFAST..
I normally have 1/3 cup of oats with water, a dash of low fat milk, a sprinkle of cinnamon and 2 sachets of splenda in the morning. 1 Cup of defac coffee with low fat milk.

Mid morning - An apple, 1tbsp of PB and 3 tbsp cottage cheese. A handful of almonds

Lunch - A salad sandwich with soy/linseed bread, 100g can of pink sandwich salmon, lettuce, tomato, carrot, alfalfa sprouts, beetroot, onion, low fat sundried tomatoes, low fat cheese, and avocado. then a Low fat yogurt.

Afternoon - A bowl of steamed vegies, eg: broccoli, corn, carrots.

Dinner - 100-125g piece of chicken, fish or lean red meat. 3 cups of steamed vegetables, and a salad made with italian fat free dressing or balsamic vinegar. I might make myself up a wrap pizza, consisting of mushrooms, onion, red peppers, avocado, cottage cheese, and onion spice.

Pre work out - 1tsp of creatine in water
Post workout - 1 scoop of ON WHEY

Before bed - 1 scoop of ON CASEIN powder.

I have no idea how to do the breakdown on this, and not sure if this is ok. Please help. If I am eating not enough, then there is no way in hell I will gain muscle. But I want to gain muscle not FAT AGAIN.

thanks heaps

Last edited:
Hi Angie,

To gain muscle you will want to eat a calorie surplus. Fadi may be able to help you out with exact figures, but a calorie surplus of 500 cals per day is a good goal to help put on muscle and not too much fat, you should stay lean. You could look at aiming for Protein - 40%, Carbs - 40% and Fats - 20%.

hi Josh thanks hun. But my prob is I dont know how to do the figures. The list I typed up here is basically what I eat every day. I dont know how to calculate it. :(

If you go to www.thecaloriecounter.com you will be able to calculate your daily intake of calories and also find out the breakdown of proteins/carbs/fats. It takes some time, but it is worth it.

If you already have a dietician giving you calorie goals down to the last single calorie, why don't you just ask them about a diet for muscle growth?

Angie, I've got some good news for you. I'd like you to get rid of the idea of calorie counting right now. You already presented us with a detailed report of what you're eating; I find that absolutely great.

Now, it's not the calorie calculator we're after but the mirror and time instead. I know what you're doing for training and now I know what you're doing for eating. What you need to do from say Monday coming is to gauge how you're looking and feeling from day to day during the week commencing on Monday the 23rd of November.

If you're not satisfied with the way you're looking after a week of eating and training as you have decribed, then add the following:

30gm almonds 175
95gm tuna 100
5ml olive oil 50
30g pitted prunes 60

Total cal = 385-400.

Make a raw veggie salad, add the tuna to it with some lemon juice as well, and don't forget the chopped up parsley. It will give it that Tabouleh taste without the hassle of making the real thing.

Fadi.

thanks so much guys. Fadi, I appreciate your reply. I love my salad with tuna. Are you saying to have this as well as tuna in my salad sandwich? or maybe in a snack? I eat a few almonds most of the day. In all I prob have about 15 a day. I love PB and could eat it all day so I might not go down that track..lol

My dietician and personal trainer ahs basically told me to eat healthy foods such as a salad, vegies etc, but not much about protein. I guess I am a little afraid of having too much protein everyday. Not sure what happens if you do.
I did put on half a kilo last week, but not sure if it is muscle, fat or cause of the creatine(water retention). who knows, but I hae been going to the gym 4 nights a week and doing a good workout.
My weight currently is 49.8 kilos. How much protein should I be having?

thanks heaps

thanks so much guys. Fadi, I appreciate your reply. I love my salad with tuna. Are you saying to have this as well as tuna in my salad sandwich? or maybe in a snack? I eat a few almonds most of the day. In all I prob have about 15 a day. I love PB and could eat it all day so I might not go down that track..lol

My dietician and personal trainer ahs basically told me to eat healthy foods such as a salad, vegies etc, but not much about protein. I guess I am a little afraid of having too much protein everyday. Not sure what happens if you do.
I did put on half a kilo last week, but not sure if it is muscle, fat or cause of the creatine(water retention). who knows, but I hae been going to the gym 4 nights a week and doing a good workout.
My weight currently is 49.8 kilos. How much protein should I be having?

thanks heaps

Angie, when I look at your diet and calculate it in my head, in no way does it come close to the 1900 calories your dietician is recommending. Yet, you said that you've put on half a kilogram last week. I think it would be best if you look for a gain that is maintained and disregard what usually fluctuates between day to day. That is why it's better to weigh yourself once a week on a the same day/time.

As for the added calories I've put up for you; they are there incase you need to add to what you already have so as to gain some muscles. In other words, it's not a substitution for something but rather an addition to it.

As for how much protein your body needs; it needs between 1g/kg to 2.5g/kg according to Forslund et al. At 2.5g/kg, you will have a positive protein balance and a negative fat balance. At 1g/kg, you will have zero protein balance and a slight increase in fat balance.

In simple plain English it means this: for a strength athlete like you on a 1900 calorie eating plan and weighing in at a beautiful and solid 50kg, you will need to have 125g of protein/day. Put another way, that's 500 calories and a percentage of 26% protein of your total caloric count. That's basically what I recommend in all my "diets". Since you're not an endurance athlete, you won't need 60%+ of carbohydrates for your energy supplies. However you will need around 43% carbs, with the reminder 31% coming from fat. This is the macro ratio for a strength athlete who wishes to gain some lean mass according to the two biochemistry/physiology/kinesiology/ and nutrition experts I rely on for what I'm saying here: Dr. John Ivy and Dr. Robert Portman.

PS: You may need to increase your PB (just as well you love it) :)!

Fadi.

They usually don't mention protein because for someone who eats meat, fish or dairy every day, or for a vegetarian/vegan who has a proper diet with plenty of nuts and beans, it's just not an issue. Most people get plenty.

Ask your dietician about having "too much" protein. However, the evidence seems to be that unless you have a kidney disease, it's no problem - you just pee out any excess. The exception is for very high amounts of protein over many years, which can contribute to gout - but that's for people who eat like a whole chicken a day for years, not likely to be an issue. But again, you have a dietician, so make use of them and ask them.

Angie, when I look at your diet and calculate it in my head, in no way does it come close to the 1900 calories your dietician is recommending. Yet, you said that you've put on half a kilogram last week. I think it would be best if you look for a gain that is maintained and disregard what usually fluctuates between day to day. That is why it's better to weigh yourself once a week on a the same day/time.

As for the added calories I've put up for you; they are there incase you need to add to what you already have so as to gain some muscles. In other words, it's not a substitution for something but rather an addition to it.

As for how much protein your body needs; it needs between 1g/kg to 2.5g/kg according to Forslund et al. At 2.5g/kg, you will have a positive protein balance and a negative fat balance. At 1g/kg, you will have zero protein balance and a slight increase in fat balance.

In simple plain English it means this: for a strength athlete like you on a 1900 calorie eating plan and weighing in at a beautiful and solid 50kg, you will need to have 125g of protein/day. Put another way, that's 500 calories and a percentage of 26% protein of your total caloric count. That's basically what I recommend in all my "diets". Since you're not an endurance athlete, you won't need 60%+ of carbohydrates for your energy supplies. However you will need around 43% carbs, with the reminder 31% coming from fat. This is the macro ratio for a strength athlete who wishes to gain some lean mass according to the two biochemistry/physiology/kinesiology/ and nutrition experts I rely on for what I'm saying here: Dr. John Ivy and Dr. Robert Portman.

PS: You may need to increase your PB (just as well you love it) :)!

Fadi.

lol...Maybe I might just do that. thanks Fadi.

They usually don't mention protein because for someone who eats meat, fish or dairy every day, or for a vegetarian/vegan who has a proper diet with plenty of nuts and beans, it's just not an issue. Most people get plenty.

Ask your dietician about having "too much" protein. However, the evidence seems to be that unless you have a kidney disease, it's no problem - you just pee out any excess. The exception is for very high amounts of protein over many years, which can contribute to gout - but that's for people who eat like a whole chicken a day for years, not likely to be an issue. But again, you have a dietician, so make use of them and ask them.

thank you Kyle. I can always rely on you and Fadi for great advice.:)