• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Feel really sick.

B

BREEBREE

well i have been sick since saturday night, im not going to the gym tomorrow because of it as well, im just curious though how many days before i start losing muscle/fitness from not going to the gym (i last went friday)

well i have been sick since saturday night, im not going to the gym tomorrow because of it as well, im just curious though how many days before i start losing muscle/fitness from not going to the gym (i last went friday)

Depends who you talk to.

I am the extreme example. I train each body part once every 12 days, and use a 4 day split. Funny thing is I continue to get bigger.

As I have said to heaps of the gang before. ( A week off never hurts )

BUT

Nobody will hear me out. LOL

I am almost willing to guarantee that if everyone took a week off now and then they would benefit.

All my best ever lifts and those of people I have trained have come after a full week of nothing at all but rest.

Fear reigns supreme when it comes to days off. ( Thanks Muscle and Fitness )

Some hate me for my recovery beliefs. Don't care.

Think of it like a pothole in the road.

Training day (the hole is dug)
Rest day 1 Recovery begins ( Hole begins to fill )
Rest day 2 Recovery continues (Hole begins to fill more )
Rest day 3 Recovery complete.
Rest Day 4 Body grows larger to over compensate
Rest day 5 Body continues to grow

If anyone says 72 hours is all it takes to start atrophying they are in error.

If you train day, after day, after day, you are just digging a deeper and deeper hole into your recovery and gains.

You not only don't get big but you put your body into a state of stress that will keep you from being able to improve.

You wouldn't build a house on a wet concrete slab. So why do so many start trying to build the house before the slab is even poured. A house built on sand........

Get well soon!

My 50c

Towards the Dark Side....

You know it makes sense.......

You asked!!

Rob

Last edited:
huh? i thought taking a week off every 6 weeks or so was something most people do? i know a few on here would gladly take a week off.
you will grow and gain strength with that week off

No unforced breaks for me, I've had to many lately. I want to get a solid 4-6 months in for a change..phuck it

I am almost willing to guarantee that if everyone took a week off now and then they would benefit.

All my best ever lifts and those of people I have trained have come after a full week of nothing at all but rest.
brendon said:
huh? i thought taking a week off every 6 weeks or so was something most people do? i know a few on here would gladly take a week off.
Brendon has the right of it.

The old-time lifters used to recommend doing a particular routine until it stopped giving you results, then taking a week off. This would be anywhere between 4 and 12 weeks, depending what stage the person was at.

Beginners can trundle along for 12 weeks without a break, but an intermediate or advanced person is obviously different. Vader here is, I think, making the same mistake many intermediate and advanced people make: forgetting that most people training are beginners, and giving them advice which works for intermediate and advanced, but not beginners.

For example, I have yet to hear of a study or reputable coach's experience where formerly sedentary beginners put on a routine of workouts every 7-14 days make significant gains, let alone more gains than people on more frequent training schedules. But I have heard of much experience where intermediate and advanced trainees do well on less frequent training.

None of which has anything to do with breebree's question, which is really about being sick. The way I see it, your body only has so many resources to use: you can recover from illness, or recover from workouts, but not both. So yes, an illness will probably set you back in your strength and fitness. How much depends on the illness. A head cold won't do much to you, but a few days of gastro will wipe you out.

The thing to remember is: you're lifting for a lifetime. Unless you have a powerlifting competition tomorrow, so what if your lifts drop today? They'll go up again.

i dont think theres anything wrong with a week off as long as its a week off because you've been working hard and not a week off because your lazy. i usually find that i end up with a forced week off every now and then due to other commitments, work, sickness/injury etc.

i dont think theres anything wrong with a week off as long as its a week off because you've been working hard and not a week off because your lazy. i usually find that i end up with a forced week off every now and then due to other commitments, work, sickness/injury etc.

lol we're sorta getting offtopic now but thats ok, its interesting to learn new stuff, i think a 4 day break is enough for me, i will go again wednesday and see how i go.