• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Another beginner

PTC

Daryl is a friend of Max's, its his best friend. He decided to start lifting a few weeks before BATB3.

Max trains him twice a week, for free obviously.

On Tuesday, Daryl benched 100kg and squatted 120kg x 2. His best powerclean is 80kg and push press is 70kg x 3. He hasnt attempted a deadlift PB for awhile, last effort was 140kg. It will be much higher now.

So these lifts dont look like much, until you realise he is 17 and weighs 60kg-63kg.

He is capable of a double bodyweight squat right now, and benches 1 1/2 x bodyweight.

He has 4 months total lifting experience.

He trains exactly the same way Max does, obviously, and the same way we train everyone at PTC, man, woman and child.

There has been debate recently, which is healthy, about programs etc

I stand by our training methods at PTC as the best around for producing brilliant results in the shortest possible time.

This 60kg kid totals close to 550kg after 4 months of lifting, I'll have Max test his PP and DL shortly.

At BATB3 he totalled 481kg, that was 2 months ago. A 70kg improve in 8 weeks is going okay I'd say.

Anybody want to bet he doesnt get 600kg at AD10?

Twice a week full body sessions with a 17yo trainer who knows as much about getting strong as anybody else I know.

So why are some guys doing split routines?????

Have you got $64,000 Markos; not on hand :D? I'll tell you anyway; it's because they haven't heard or read our side of the argument here on Ausbb. Or maybe it's because they like to have desert before the main course. Crazy I know; but there are people who'd like to have ice-cream and chocolate before having meat and potatoes!

I maybe wrong of course, since everyone has their own taste buds to please.

Fadi.

Or maybe it's because they like to have desert before the main course. Crazy I know; but there are people who'd like to have ice-cream and chocolate before having meat and potatoes!

Fadi.

I have been eating desert for 5yrs with limited results but now that my taste buds have matured i have realised (shown the light by markos) that if you eat all your meat and potatoes you dont need desert. You will also achieve more as there is no longer any useless calories (so to speak):)

I too believe that its much harder to do full body workouts, where you press, pull and squat, using the basic compound exercises, every workout.

I could mount an impressive argument for the dark side, give great reasons why the split is better, but I could never back it up with results that better the ones achieved by those that train full body each each session.

Its not like you need to do it forever, just till you get strong, first year ot two.

Then you can make slight adjustments, I do with my strong clients

I believe ignorance and no desire to change their ways. "But my mate trains like me and he is big".

Also, some have a hard time swallowing the truth. The fact that they are wasting their time and keeping themselves small and weak. This training is not for pussies. It will beat you up and tear you apart, BUT, you will come out the other end stronger and most probably bigger.

Some big steriod dudes at my gym last night, struggling with a 120kg deadlift (with belts and straps mind you!!). We were speaking to them and he was getting 2 reps out and needed a rest. Far out, imagine if I told them girls at PTC would wipe them out. These dudes weigh 90-100kg mind you.

Amazing bench from Daryl!

i watched a doco last night on Jon Paul sigmarson the iceland strongman who died deadlifting. very impressive physique and all he seemed to do was deadlift.

I saw Daryl, he is a strong little guy - that 60-63kg is packed onto a short and narrow frame. Impressive work.

I too believe that its much harder to do full body workouts, where you press, pull and squat, using the basic compound exercises, every workout.

I could mount an impressive argument for the dark side, give great reasons why the split is better, but I could never back it up with results that better the ones achieved by those that train full body each each session.

Its not like you need to do it forever, just till you get strong, first year ot two.

Then you can make slight adjustments, I do with my strong clients

Being a beginner I have no intention of changing from the compound lifts but I was wondering what comes next? I've always been under the impression that you were supposed to change your program every 8 - 12 weeks so your body doesn't become to used to the exercises and stop improving. Is this BS or is it minor adjustments with exercises, sets and reps?

I believe ignorance and no desire to change their ways. "But my mate trains like me and he is big".

Also, some have a hard time swallowing the truth. The fact that they are wasting their time and keeping themselves small and weak. This training is not for pussies. It will beat you up and tear you apart, BUT, you will come out the other end stronger and most probably bigger.

Some big steriod dudes at my gym last night, struggling with a 120kg deadlift (with belts and straps mind you!!). We were speaking to them and he was getting 2 reps out and needed a rest. Far out, imagine if I told them girls at PTC would wipe them out. These dudes weigh 90-100kg mind you.

Amazing bench from Daryl!

I had a similar story just last night - after finishing up my deadlifts, some guy comes up and says 'wow your strong hey'. I was shocked, just stared at him with my mouth open and said 'are you kidding? I'm barely a beginner in terms of strength'. He was a nice guy though.

Almost no-one does dl's and squats at my gym but some are coming around to it slowly.

well phuck me, if he can deadlift 155 as a beginner, then what the heck can i do, since i'm more experienced (possibly...) and weight more (but only a smidge)

Top effort! A+++ EFFORT

i forgot to also mention, that in terms of people doing a split type workout to get big...all i know is that since i started doing full body workouts, pretty much only doing compund workouts, i've grown like a complete weed since feburary, more than i have in the last 2 years totaled. Sure, i may not have pushed myself that hard earlier on but hey....

Daryl is a friend of Max's, its his best friend. He decided to start lifting a few weeks before BATB3.

Max trains him twice a week, for free obviously.

On Tuesday, Daryl benched 100kg and squatted 120kg x 2. His best powerclean is 80kg and push press is 70kg x 3. He hasnt attempted a deadlift PB for awhile, last effort was 140kg. It will be much higher now.

So these lifts dont look like much, until you realise he is 17 and weighs 60kg-63kg.

He is capable of a double bodyweight squat right now, and benches 1 1/2 x bodyweight.

He has 4 months total lifting experience.

He trains exactly the same way Max does, obviously, and the same way we train everyone at PTC, man, woman and child.

There has been debate recently, which is healthy, about programs etc

I stand by our training methods at PTC as the best around for producing brilliant results in the shortest possible time.

This 60kg kid totals close to 550kg after 4 months of lifting, I'll have Max test his PP and DL shortly.

At BATB3 he totalled 481kg, that was 2 months ago. A 70kg improve in 8 weeks is going okay I'd say.

Anybody want to bet he doesnt get 600kg at AD10?

Twice a week full body sessions with a 17yo trainer who knows as much about getting strong as anybody else I know.

F**** hell, doing those lifts at 63kg, 17y.o ... good for him though.

I've got A LOT of catching up to do...

Being a beginner I have no intention of changing from the compound lifts but I was wondering what comes next? I've always been under the impression that you were supposed to change your program every 8 - 12 weeks so your body doesn't become to used to the exercises and stop improving. Is this BS or is it minor adjustments with exercises, sets and reps?

You pose a very good question and you deserve to get an answer puff. A change of grip width on a b/bell curl would be recognised by your body/biceps as a change of an exercise. Lifters think that a total overhaul is needed for a new adaptation process by the body to be effected. It's all about making your body adapt to a new muscle stimulus.

You can change from incline d/bell press to b/bell; from incline d/bell to decline and from incline to flat. Even a slightly narrower or wider grip on the bar would change things. A well done steak vs. a medium rare does not change it from being a steak into being a cornetto ice cream cone now does it!?

At the end of the day, it's the subtle changes that will force your body to adapt and therefore move forward to a higher level.

PS: I kept my answer short so as to not complicate what is otherwise a simple issue.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Spot on. This is our variety.

we press overhead, we squat, we lift something heavy off the ground, every session.

i could think of 50 exercises that fit the bill here. Heres an example of overhead.

push press
military press
DB press
Cartoon single DB press
Jerk
kneeling KB press
KB press
seated press
press behind neck
push press behind neck
jerk behind neck
KB press
Bradford press
Alternate DB press
Arnold press

Variations are the key.

Calculate the above 15 exercise provided by Markos, (who’s just warming up by the way) puff; and you’d have yourself about 2.5 years of training, based on a different exercise utilised every 8 weeks. We’ve got plenty of meat and potatoes in this vast country of ours, wouldn’t you agree?!

Fadi.

Calculate the above 15 exercise provided by Markos, (who’s just warming up by the way) puff; and you’d have yourself about 2.5 years of training, based on a different exercise utilised every 8 weeks. We’ve got plenty of meat and potatoes in this vast country of ours, wouldn’t you agree?!

Fadi.

And thats just overhead!

Im glad puff asked that question as the thought had entered my mind also. Looks like I have 10+ years before I start it all over again!:eek::eek:

I had a similar story just last night - after finishing up my deadlifts, some guy comes up and says 'wow your strong hey'. I was shocked, just stared at him with my mouth open and said 'are you kidding? I'm barely a beginner in terms of strength'. He was a nice guy though.

Almost no-one does dl's and squats at my gym but some are coming around to it slowly.

Weird that isn`t it?I get it all the time with my 3 x 8 @ 80kg squats and about the same in SLDL.
This Canadian dude was going on the other day about this "powerhouse Japanese guy who squats" in the gym.I`ve seen the guy he was talking about.
He is undoubtedly fit.Middle aged with not an ounce of fat on him but only 55kg squats:confused:They obviously haven`t seen many people squat.

Markos and Fadi, thanks as always.

I don't know what half those exercises are but google is my friend :)