• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Trap bar deadlifts

The Hulk

Active Member, Site Advertiser
Just wondering what you guys think of Trap bar deadlifts as a training tool ?

It seems be a good to a good alternative or supplement to regular deadlifts and squats.

I've never tried them, but I have seen them used at DeFrancos in the States, they seem to love them, and he gets pretty good results

I'm sure they are a useful lift, you can use more weight than a regular DL and the bar does not need to travel arounnd the knees so less risk of injury.

Will they carry over and add more weight to your regular deadlift? I'm not sure. I reckon it would depend on where your weakness is in regards to the lift.

I'm sure they are a useful lift, you can use more weight than a regular DL and the bar does not need to travel arounnd the knees so less risk of injury.

Will they carry over and add more weight to your regular deadlift? I'm not sure. I reckon it would depend on where your weakness is in regards to the lift.

Agree. The trap bar is all I use for deadlifting these days, it is more of a leg dominant exercise in the beginning, and much kinder on the lower back. No idea how well the gains would carry over to barbell deadlifting however, but I have no need to BB DL, so it is not a concern for me. I guess it depends on what you want to achieve by incorporating it into your training.

Would love to try these one day.
Any idea how much I can buy one of these bars for?

Would love to try these one day.
Any idea how much I can buy one of these bars for?

Gym Direct used to get them in, can't remember how much. I was lucky enough to pick mine up from Ebay for under $50

I remember seeing a youtube video with a guy injuring himself using one, obviously a cheap one.

Remember Hulk your going to be using a tonne of weight as these are easier than regular deadlifts. Nick and James picked up 260kg and walked with it in this fashion (hands beside the body).

What seems cheap now might not seem cheap later.

I have my clients use KB's and do suitcase deadlifts with them, we start at 32kg per side all the way down 32-28-24-20-16-12-10-8, we do 15 reps on each, no rest, apparently its hard lol

You can also use DB's, we have done that before plenty of times, or, as we are quite retarded at PTC, try 2 Olympic barbells lol

Its quite easy to mimick the action of the trap bar.

I like trap bar deads - I picked up acouple for powersports for the guys to use because I know not many ppl have used them before - so I thought it would be good to get acouple - its a good variation to a reg dead.

I remember seeing a youtube video with a guy injuring himself using one, obviously a cheap one.

Remember Hulk your going to be using a tonne of weight as these are easier than regular deadlifts. Nick and James picked up 260kg and walked with it in this fashion (hands beside the body).

What seems cheap now might not seem cheap later.

I have my clients use KB's and do suitcase deadlifts with them, we start at 32kg per side all the way down 32-28-24-20-16-12-10-8, we do 15 reps on each, no rest, apparently its hard lol

You can also use DB's, we have done that before plenty of times, or, as we are quite retarded at PTC, try 2 Olympic barbells lol

Its quite easy to mimick the action of the trap bar.

It would be easy to mimic a Farmers Walk style carry (although I love my Trap Bar for this also) but the actual Trap Bar Deadlift would be hard to mimic imo. What you have said about quality goes for all equipment though - a cheap BB can injure also. Buy right the 1st time and you never have to replace it. That's what I love about ebay though - alot of people have no idea about the value of their goods.

Sounds like you got a good one, I may look into one of these once my extension is done.

No room at the moment, I want another power rack as well, the one I have is occupied full time all day, I keep rotating groups through it.

Is it easy to walk whilst carrying the trap bar?

I don't think you can have too many power racks as a gym owner :)
Best piece of equipment I ever bought and I am only a home trainer.

I have no problem at all walking with my trap bar - I have seen some where the inside of the bar appears to be a little tight, but I guess its a matter of giving it a try before you buy if you are not sure.

Are you guys into changing up your lifts?

Wendler and Kroc reckon you get better at a lift by performing it. Apart from developmental work (pull ups, weighted sit ups, good mornings, lunges) I don't really do much else.

Just my 5c.

Hey mate,

Are talking about using a rotating system with your lifts and doing variations of your bench, squat and dead? - much like they do with westside? - if so Im not a huge fan of changing the exercise so much - i.e every 2-3 weeks, sometimes every week.

I have used a westside template where you have to do this and I just wasn't a fan - I think it may be because Im not as advanced as those guys so there is really no need for me to do something like that - but I felt I should try it and see how I find it.

Im more of a old school russian powerlifting template/program kinda guy lol - i.e sheiko - they will use variations of lifts but you'll always be doing some reg work with your bench squat and dead through the week i.e monday may be reg deads then wed or friday may be rack deads or deadlift from boxes as sheiko reads lol.

The westside template is fine if you wear equipment and juice to the gills.

I have no problem with juice, but dont try and replicate EVERYTHINg these guys do unless you do EVERYTHING these guys do.

I agree completely with Joel

Hey mate,

Are talking about using a rotating system with your lifts and doing variations of your bench, squat and dead? - much like they do with westside? - if so Im not a huge fan of changing the exercise so much - i.e every 2-3 weeks, sometimes every week.

I have used a westside template where you have to do this and I just wasn't a fan - I think it may be because Im not as advanced as those guys so there is really no need for me to do something like that - but I felt I should try it and see how I find it.

Im more of a old school russian powerlifting template/program kinda guy lol - i.e sheiko - they will use variations of lifts but you'll always be doing some reg work with your bench squat and dead through the week i.e monday may be reg deads then wed or friday may be rack deads or deadlift from boxes as sheiko reads lol.

Agreed, thats what I'm saying.

I don't really see the need for a trap bar deadlift if you're trying to improve your regular deadlift, unless you're bored.

Well, a deadlift is basically just a weight lifted from the floor, isn't it?

You could achieve the same bar path with a trap bar that you do with a straight barbell, just hammer grip.

Although, if you stand more upright with butt down, maybe on a small platform, the quads will get hit alot harder and the bar travels a different path to conventional deadlift.

I think what silverback is saying is the side grip allows a lifter to bend more at the hips, therefore eliminating some back and bringing more legs into the lift. A poor mans leg press.

I think both could be utilized, although I've never used a trap bar.

You would never eliminate the deadlift

Correct, just another tool to add to the toolbox.
The hip never really locks, not like the bb dead-lift.