• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

active recovery

BoyFromAus

What do you guys do for Active Recovery and to minimize muscle stiffness, DOMs etc.? is it mainly to do with bloodflow, as I think Fadi was saying one time...?

I tend to regularly suffer from DOMs. not only is it muscle pain but also muscle stiffness / swelling. I'm thinking it is due to bloodflow because my job involves sitting in front of a computer 8 - 10 hours a day.

Thanks,

My DOMS is no where near as bad as when I first started. It may subside a bit after time? For the Muscle stiffness side of it. Do you stretch before and after your workouts?

I have some slight DOMS in my back at the moment, nothing to bad though. I actually love the feeling.

Last edited:
Ahh true. I never stretch before nor after. I guess it may subside once I get into the program for sometime.. i've just been on it for 3 weeks so far.

Stretching before and after should make a massive difference BFA, especially with the stiffness. After a while of pushing yourself you won't have as much effect from DOMS.

BFA Josh is right, i was like you never stretched before or after working out and i would always get doms, I have now added a quick stretch before and after my workout and it has helped heaps.

i stretch for about 3 or 4 mins to start then do a few light set of the exercise im going to be doing and then about 5mins when i finish.

I stretch for about 10 mins before working out and a quick 5 mins after. I am always stretching at home though as I am really trying to increase my flexibility.

I get DOMS after some workouts, sometimes its not too bad other times it seams bad even though the weight I used was very similar? I generally make sure I am warmed up before lifting, do low weight warm up sets and also try and do some stretching afterwards.

I too sit behind a PC most of the day for work and wonder if this has something to do with it? I mostly see it in my legs after squat days. I'm also 35 and so maybe recovery is just not as good it used to be?

I too sit behind a PC most of the day for work and wonder if this has something to do with it? I mostly see it in my legs after squat days. I'm also 35 and so maybe recovery is just not as good it used to be?
I'm in the same boat.... recently I started doing burpees every weekday morning before breakfast, benefits are awesome.

cool... so I guess the two things to incorporate so far should be

1. stretching
2. burpees or some cardio for bloodflow.

Agreed with Josh i can be fine the day after my work out but the next day it kills. I think its always good to be a little sore as you know that you actually did something.

Im not sure how true this is, but I've been told that doing cardio after a workout helps you to burn off more fat due to all the good fuels being burnt from the weight training. I just do cardio after weights so I dont waste too much energy beforehand.
When I'm trying to drop a little weight for an upcoming event (not bodybuilding but still sorted by weight classes) I do cardio first thing in the morning before I eat. Don't have brekky for 20 mins after morning run or rope sessions.

Also, muscles react well to massage. Yes the RICE/HARM methods of recovery contradict this but I find I recover better when I get them done when moving to a new program that my body has not yet adjusted to.

One other way I found to reduce muscles sorness is through soaking in the spa at my parents place (or just run a hot bath at mine :mad:) at 40 degress minimum - make sure you come out pink! Do this for 20-30 minutes then go have a cold shower or sit in a cold bath straight away for at least 15-20 minutes to the point where your shivering. (relax, it wont give you a cold.) THIS IS NOT A PLEASANT WAY TO RECOVER! I forget the name of the method but the Japanese Kyokushin guys as well as fighters from numerous styles around the world have been doing this for years to recover from muscles soreness, bruising, corked thighs etc, its just not very popular in the west due to "its cold it will make me sick" phobias. I tried it, works for me....I just dont like doing it...

My warmup is a 10 minute walk to the gym.

Each exercise has two warmup sets during which I not only warm up, but stretch out - "dynamic" stretching it's called, when you gradually move your limbs over a greater range of motion.

My cooldown is a 10 minute walk home, and there I do a few minutes of stretching, sipping my post workout drink while I do it.

I also cycle a 13km round trip three times a week, and run 5km twice. One cycle trip is on a workout day, the others and the run are on gym rest days.

Not much DOMS.

Im not sure how true this is, but I've been told that doing cardio after a workout helps you to burn off more fat due to all the good fuels being burnt from the weight training. I just do cardio after weights so I dont waste too much energy beforehand.

Hi Tim,

I would subscribe to the above statement only on one condition; if the cardio is low intensity cardio. Anything else and you may lose too much muscle to outweigh any benefit of fat loss. That is why I'm not crazy about morning jog on empty stomach etc. Cortisol is at its highest levels in the morning. Sure you'd lose fat in the early hours of morning cardio, but with a heavy price tag that has muscles written all over it.

I’d say let the weights themselves be your best tool to fat loss. Weight circuits are one of the best ways to lose fat and maintain muscles. Fat burns in the engine of muscle; more muscles = more fat loss. Period! A weight circuit does not have to be done with weight per se; your own bodyweight is more than enough to get the job done.

PS: as far as making a weight category goes, please keep in mind that it's much easier to lose water than it is to lose fat. So cutting down slightly on carbs which hold 2-3gm of water to each 1gm of carb, is one quick way of dropping the weight down. An addition of some natural herbal diuretics and you drop 5kg or more in a day or two (depending on your intial water retention level).

Fadi