• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is it safe to eat lots of fish?

If they are fish caught in Australia or by Australian boats, yes. We have regulations and inspectors and all the rest.

Foreign stuff, all bets are off.

my pop eats fish every day and hes alrig.......hang on hes freakin nuts so yeah probably tone down a bit haha :)

A guy at work went from tuna to sardines.
The reasoning (in a nutshell) was that the big fish eat the little fish so then they had their mercury plus the mercury of all the little fish they ate.
I've heard it before, but I've never looked into it. I'm sure some quick googling would show something.

He had tuna (now sardines) for 2 meals a day every single weekday...so I can see why he felt the need to change.

You eat salmon, the most expensive commonly-available fish, just because of the worries about metals. Riiiiiight :p

Nooooooo, you misunderstood me.

I eat salmon, which I just discovered has lower mercury, which was good to find out.

And I don't buy it.... I eat it at mum's house :D

Salmon also has lots of good fats!

There's so many sides to this issue it's pretty much impossible to say what's right. There is no doubt that mercury is higher in predatory fish due to the accumulation.

However fish such as tuna also contain selenium which binds to the mercury and prevents it's absorption and allow it to be excreted. Furthermore most commonly consumed fish such as tuna contain much more selenium than mercury. Read this for a bit more info: Selenium: Mercury's Magnet

It has also been noted that mercury levels in fish have dropped and are continuing to drop over time.

I'm not going to say it's safe to eat massive amounts as I'm not a scientist and there are sure to be other arguments I'm unaware of, but in general I believe it would be safe to eat 3-4 cans a week possibly more (depending on can size of course :))

Aus is pretty strict but how strict when it comes to the rising level of mercury makes it hard to meet the standards I don`t know.I think it was in Choice magazine I read way back in high school that the "safe" level was raised due to the decreasing number of the catch that met the standards.
At the end of the day we have to go for the best of the worst.No food these days is completely safe when it comes to hormones,steroids,pesticides,heavy metals etc. but by eating right you will cut down the risks.