• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strict Mon-Fri Diet for Hybrid Cutting / Bulking

S

stewface

Hi Guys,

Nutrition is the key to success should be really most strongly emphasised!

This is my current hybrid cutting / bulking diet

breakfast:
fat burning pills (used lipoburn, shred, now about to try ALRI - TX & Wild Bull)
3 whole boiled eggs with salt / pepper
1/2 to 3/4 a cup of oats with either salt, cinnamon or occasionally mixed berries

post workout:
Protein shake (48g) - Optim nutrition 100% whey
2 big handfuls of brown rice

early lunch:
fat burning pills
200/300g steamed chicken breast
steamed veggies (beans, broccoli, bok choy, carrots, broccolini)
brown rice
flavored with random spices or soy sauce or a small portion of sweet and sour chicken tonight sauce.

late lunch:
salad (rocket, mixed lettuce, shallots, red onion, avocado, cashew nuts, capeskin, cherry tomatoes)
tuna (185g tin plain tuna in spring water)
chilli flakes
fat free italian dressing

Late afternoon: (occasionally gets missed)
protein shake (48g)

dinner:
250g / 350g kangaroo steaks
steamed veggies (beans, broccoli, bok choy, carrots, broccolini)
hot english mustard

occasional late snack:
boiled egg
carrots
occasional sweets, and bread depending on cravings

I would stick to this mon - fri, weekends tend to be hard, I try my best, I also give myself a cheat day each week where i eat whatever I want (ends up being sunday when i am hungover mostly)

I hope this helps a few people out, and I would love peoples comments and suggestions on this one..

You cannot bulk and cut at the same time.

You can build muscle and build fat at the same time. You can maintain muscle while losing fat. The only time you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time is if you are overfat - bodyfat of 25+% (for men, 30+% for women). This corresponds to your waist size being 90+% of your hip or chest size. It stalls when you get your bodyfat down to about 15% (or 20-% for women), which is usually waist size being 80-% of chest/hip size (the ratios are different for women).

This is all because to get bigger, you must consume more calories than you expend; to get smaller, expend more calories than you consume. Your body in caloric surplus adds both muscle and fat, in caloric deficit it takes away both muscle and fat.

You can influence how much muscle and how much fat are lost or gained during these deficit/surplus diets, influence it by your exercise. I'll break it down for you
  • Caloric deficit + no exercise = lose muscle and fat both
  • deficit + resistance training = maintain muscle, lose fat
  • deficit + endurance training = lose some muscle, lose lots of fat
  • surplus + no exercise = gain little muscle and gain lots of fat
  • surplus + resistance training = gain lots of muscle and gain some fat
  • surplus + endurance training = gain little muscle and little fat
If you are overfat, then when you have a caloric deficit, the body makes up the deficit from your spare fat. That's what fat is there for, to keep you going in hard times.

Now, as to your diet.

Bin the pills.

You need more fruit and vegies.

If you're going to have several meals a day anyway, spread things out like the roo steak, gives you a better chance of your body absorbing it all.

If you drink enough to get you hungover, this will severely hinder gaining muscle and losing fat, and make your lifts lower in the gym. Guidelines for diet,
  • No smoking or illegal drugs
  • Not more than six standard drinks in a week, and not more than four on one day
  • Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegies
  • Eat lots of nuts and beans
  • Eat some meat or fish or dairy each day
  • If you want to get overall bigger, eat lots of starchy stuff - spuds, rice, pasta, bread. If you want to get overall smaller, eat less starchy stuff.
  • Whatever your diet, stick to it for 4 weeks, then reassess. If it's taking your body in the direction you want to go, keep going! Otherwise, change.

very good /impressive info kyle.
yeh i would agree stewface's diet lack of fats.
btw. will fatburner i.e hydroxycut or xenadrine or watever it is work?
what about green tea extract?

Nothing will substitute hard work and discipline in your diet.

Firstly, I would just like to say thanks to everyone for their very informative replies!

I am excited to get to work perfecting my diet to make sure it is as most effect as possible, so I have made a note of all your responses, and I am going to adjust accordingly

Upg: you mention my diet is lacking fat?
I am eating a bunch of cuts (2-3 handfuls a day of cashews and stacks and on my salad) along with my avocado in my salad (2 per week)
How should I best increase my fat intake? I am assuming only good fats should be eaten

I am going actively try and reduce my drinking from now on, I know it’s bad, but it so social, I blame Australias drinking culture.

Kyle:
What would be you recommendation for this time of year coming into summer? My goal is to increase muscle mass while not putting on any fat.
I will add more fruit and vegies to my diet.

Engann:
Well I went on a massive cardo fuelled diet along with fat burning pills and it worked amazingly went from 85kg down to 73kg in around 2/3 months.

Katie: So far the diet is working ok, I don’t seem to be putting on much fat, but previously when the diet was more cutting (less carbs) it worked fantastically, basically it was simiar to current one with: 2 bits of toast + protein shake breakfast, post workout protein, tuna salad lunch, protein, steak veg dinner, I lost 13 odd kg on that diet over 2/3 months.

What would be you recommendation for this time of year coming into summer? My goal is to increase muscle mass while not putting on any fat.
Not likely to happen, unless you are overfat (for males 25+% bodyfat) to begin with. At healthy or lean levels of bodyfat, you must choose between getting overall bigger and getting overall smaller. Re-read what I wrote.

stewface said:
I will add more fruit and vegies to my diet.
Good, they're good for you.

does it really matter if you gain 2 or 3 kg's of fat, unless your already quite out of shape ? I mean, really...what good is a six pack, besides it look's good ?

how about you work towards gaining size & worry about losing those fat gains latter down the track. As long as your diet's good & you train smart, then the fat you do end up having, will be minimal. Who knows, if you work smartly, if you start now in 6 months you may only have 2-3kg's of actual fat. Which is nothin'