• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gym Rings

brendon

well i finally got a set of gym rings.
looking forward to setting them up this afternoon at home, and practising more to do muscle ups, front levers, and many other cool things. hopefully it will help increase my upper body and abdominal strength.

anyone else used them before?

I got some rings recently, muscle ups are not easy !!!

They are a good tool to use.
But, with so much alternative equipment to use, I don't find myself using the rings at all.
Could be because some bodyweight exercise are so tough on them.

i can do muscle ups. well if im not already fatigued from other movements. im going to have them setup at home so i can just use them whenever i want, i also have a chinup bar at home and a few kettlebells so slowly getting my own setup sorted out.

You should have told me you wanted a set Brendon, I gave a couple of sets away at the last comp, they had been provided by sponsors.

I reckon chins feel really good on rings, I 've had a set up for nearly 2 years now.

yeah i realised that after you had given them away. i should of said something. oh well. got soem now and ill be leaving work in next 20 minutes so i set them up

Sounds pretty interesting, are these similar to what I see gymnasts using? How high do they need to be set from the ground?

I've got a tall ceiling in my garage, I'm 178cm and can just reach them on my toes. They are adjustable though.

I would have thought rings would be terribly dangerous on your rotator cuff? Do you do any specific stretching before using them?

huh?? dangerous? well i spose if u do something stupid.. could hurt your wrist maybe...

been down and used them through the afternoon... damn there hard.. trying to do levers and wow abdominal strength plus a zillion is needed. i can do it with one legged pulled back so not as much weight.... those gymnsat are damn strong!!!

Crossing the road is more dangerous than weight training

Read the post - I didn't say weight training was dangerous. I was asking if rings specifically can be dangerous for your rc and how to minimise it if it is. I've never used them before and am only going by what I've seen hence asking a question. Simply answer is no, here's why...

ha ha yeah ok looks like i'm not going to get a proper answer. If you don't know just say so next time

A simple answer?!I think one was given.
Translation; anything can be dangerous.That means if not used properly gym rings are dangerous.Bench can be dangerous.Squats can be dangerous.
Hell,even dumbell curls can be dangerous.

Yes that's true, I'll admit it was a stupid question really lol. Just trying to find out more about them as I think they'd be a great piece of equipment to have.

A better phrased question then - what is the proper form to use when doing an exercise such as the muscle up? What would you focus on to prevent injury?

Like any exercise you should warm up first, (inc. rotator cuff exercises) and never go balls out if you havent done it before..

warm up how you usually would???? do you warm up for chins?? its not like your going to be swing around on them like crazy.. heres some thigns you can do on them. may need a bench to put feet on for some of them
pullups
leg raises
dips,
pushup
flyes
rows
ab rollout wheel but no wheel just the same movement though
skin the cat, hang up side down and pull your body all the way round then go back the other way
front and rear levers - ultimate ab strength needed.

there are more but i dont know them. you can do many variations of the one movement.