• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

weights n boxing

M

MiLeH

hi, i currently train in boxing 4x a week (m-th) and want to start adding some weight training in... would powerlifting be the way to go?? training on the friday n the sunday as i can only really train once a day

I don't think Powerlifting is the answer. What would you like to achieve from weightlifting?

You probably need to be doing Powercleans and Snatches along with some Kettlebell work.

Powerlifting is the answer u want maximum strength gains and theres no better way to get it!!

No power involved in powerlifting, its static strength, you grind the reps out.

Like Josh said, cleans, snatches and KB work is the way to go, explosive movements for an explosive result.

Here is a clue as to what exercise is powerful. Anybody can do a really slow deadlift/squat/bench.

Try and clean or snatch slowly lol

Too easy

No power involved in powerlifting, its static strength, you grind the reps out.

Like Josh said, cleans, snatches and KB work is the way to go, explosive movements for an explosive result.

Here is a clue as to what exercise is powerful. Anybody can do a really slow deadlift/squat/bench.

Try and clean or snatch slowly lol

Too easy
LOL like theres no explosive movements in powerlifting, cleans and snatches will work to, but raw strength is underated in boxing, and powerlifting creates it better than anything

anything a sprinter or a shotputter would do, you wanna do, now powerlifters dont train 1 rep maxes all the time, they usually sit around the 3 rep range, then have there speed days

Would you guys suggest working out a 1RM & working around 50% of that, doing things like triples & doubles for speed ?
Id suggest a floor to ceiling ball and shadow boxing and pad work for speed, and as far as the weights are concerned worry about power and strength, remember flexability and strength = speed = power

Id suggest a floor to ceiling ball and shadow boxing and pad work for speed, and as far as the weights are concerned worry about power and strength, remember flexability and strength = speed = power

strength does not necessarily mean power, so basically your saying, ronnie coleman is going to be amazingly fast because he is so strong?

i did athletics at an elite level for 2 years and for power stuff we did extremely explosive exercises like running with weights over 20 metres or benchpress/shoulderwork/jumping lunges

strength does not necessarily mean power, so basically your saying, ronnie coleman is going to be amazingly fast because he is so strong?

i did athletics at an elite level for 2 years and for power stuff we did extremely explosive exercises like running with weights over 20 metres or benchpress/shoulderwork/jumping lunges
why do u think top level sprinters train for strength??,,flexability and strength = speed = power,,ronnie aint flexable i bet he struggles to scratch his ass!!

why do u think top level sprinters train for strength??,,flexability and strength = speed = power,,ronnie aint flexable i bet he struggles to scratch his ass!!

you dont train for strength to get flexible? what are you talking about?

you dont train for strength to get flexible? what are you talking about?
are u ****ing simple???? u need to be flexable and strong to create the power to be fast! its pretty simple stuff, dont make me bring the 3rd fastest guy in australia in here to make u look like more of an ass than u allready do

as far as boxing and most sports are concerned speed is power and power is speed the faster u can throw your **** the heavier its going to land its basic physics!!!!

now u wanna argue how to develop speed?? power or strength?? because including flexability they are all definitly related!!!

The third quickest runner you say, that would be great if the OP decides to run instead of fight, but for a fighter to do powerlifting is mind numbing, do I have to get Randy Courture in here lol

Squats, cleans, overhead presses and KB complexes. Unless he fights on his back, then bench press would come in handy.

If you do your sport standing up, train standing up. Overhead press is much better than bench press. Cleans hit same muscles, and more, as deadlifts, plus infinitely more explosive, so clean.

Squats are a given in any athletes program, full stop.

The KB complex for muscular endurance.

thanks for the input boys, its helped me out a bit, but kettlebells... i thought they were like one of those gimicky training workouts, or do they actually give good results???

Check out Randy's workout..

Circuit Training For Mixed Martial Artists

PTC is on the money here...

Try some circuit training...

I use alot of KB's and bodyweight plyometrics in my MMA training, this should translate well in the boxing ring.

It also depends on where you are starting from condition and sizewise, what weight you want to box at etc etc

MD

Last edited:
Randy gave his program to a friend of mine because I asked for it. John Donahue has brought him out to Australia a few times, quality human.

Strangely enough, no powerlifting.