• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

GOMAD question.

krayon

I've read on the net about the whole GOMAD ( Gallon Milk A Day ) I was wondering if anyone has tried this and experience any problems with it? and was wondering which milk to buy, FULL cream from the dairy or the ones on the shelfs that last for months to come? or powder milk?

krayon, i know that PTC's son max drinks like 3 or 4 liters a day. i guess if your not lactose intollorent there should be no problems. As for the type that i cant help with. I guess your trying to bulk up?

actually i'm interested in this also... particularly if there are any effects from the huge dose of calcium you would be getting??

Hrmm, I just went to my doc's just then he told me i shouldnt be drinking 4L a day and thats just crazy but if it's only for one month what could go wrong. Well pistachio the site quotes " High Protein. You need protein to build muscle & prevent muscle loss. 1 gallon of whole milk contains 120g protein. 20% whey, 80% casein."

Daily limit of Calcium

actually i'm interested in this also... particularly if there are any effects from the huge dose of calcium you would be getting??

According to the National Health and Medical Research Council the Upper Limit of Calcium is 2500mg a day.

A gallon (3.78L) of milk has 4271mg (113mg per 100ml based on the milk in my fridge and nutritiondata.com).

Below is the rationale provided in 'Nutrient Reference Values for Australia and New Zealand Including Recommended Dietary Intakes'.
Available at:
http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/file/publications/synopses/n35.pdf
It's provided for your own reading...I can't interpret it for anyone sorry.
If anyone is a nutritionist and can rewrite it then please do!

Rationale: Because of the inverse relationship between fractional calcium absorption and calcium
intake, an additional intake of 1,000 mg added to a typical western diet would only increase calcium
in urine by about 60 mg. Urinary calcium rises slowly with intake and risk of developing kidney
stones (nephrolithiasis) from calcium supplements is therefore negligible. Toxic effects of calcium
have only been seen when calcium is given in high doses as the carbonate as an antacid. The result is
hypercalcaemia with renal calcification and renal failure and is known as the milk alkali syndrome or
MAS (Burnett et al 1949).
Using MAS as the critically defined endpoint, a LOAEL of about 5 g can be identified for adults from
16 studies involving 26 subjects (FNB:IOM 1997).
A UF of 2 takes into account the potential for increased risk of high calcium intake, given the relatively
common occurrence of kidney stones in Australia and New Zealand, the fact that hypercalciuria in
people with renal stones has been shown to occur at intakes as low as 1,700 mg /day in men and
870 mg in women (Burtis et al 1974) and concern that calcium will interfere with absorption of other
minerals such as zinc and iron in vulnerable populations. The UL is therefore set conservatively at
2,500 mg/day.

On a side note, you can request FOR FREE printed version of the publications on the NHMRC site.
There are heaps of publications on there about all sorts of topics, not just nutrition.

Yes you are supposed to eat food! You can't expect to live off Milk, you will get no where. Milk is used to top up your diet and give you an extra 2500 cals for bulking.

4L of milk just sounds a bit ridiculous to me. Does it affect your..... dumping?