• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Quick oats or rolled oats..which one?

M

MADDYSMUM

I have been having uncle toby's quick oats i nthe morning for breaky, but I have read now that their GI value is 82. That's high!
What kind is everyone having? I know the quick oats are obviously easier and faster to cook, but what are the rolled oats like and how do you cook them?

I have been having uncle toby's quick oats i nthe morning for breaky, but I have read now that their GI value is 82. That's high!
What kind is everyone having? I know the quick oats are obviously easier and faster to cook, but what are the rolled oats like and how do you cook them?

Angie, you seem worried that the high GI value of 82 is somehow detrimental at breaky time. At this time (around 7am), your catabolic hormone cortisol is at its highest. As you know, insulin is a very anabolic hormone that will quickly put a damper on cortisol. Also, your uncle toby's quick oats will not remain as they are at GI of 82 when you begin to add milk Angie. Skim milk has a GI of 32, whilst full cream milk is even lower at 27. That brings your total GI down and will give you a steady blood sugar rise.

Now re the cooking part of your question; I'll let others answer it since I do not eat oats for breakfast.

Fadi.

i use the homebrand/black&gold oats. its all the same imho and much cheaper

i use a measuring jug like this
pw19_measuring_jug.jpg

put oats in and pour hot water in until it just covers the oats
wait a few minutes
then i use a hand held blender and blend it with banana and milk

Last edited:
If I'm going to eat oats I always have the traditional instead of the quick oats.
I agree with UPG on the homebrand oats, they are 30% of the cost and I can't tell the difference.

I just put them in a plastic microwave cup, just cover them with a 50/50 mixture of 'boiling/really hot' water and trim milk, then microwave until it's just about to bubble over.
I think it's only about 50 seconds.
So all up it takes maybe a minute and a half.
I assume you're meant to cook them more but thats how I do it.
They soak of all the liquid, get steaming hot and taste great with yoghurt mixed in...I wouldn't have them any other way!

Don't know which oats are better, don't really care either.
For me, I use a cup of quick oats, cup of full cream milk, into a bowl and microwave for 1 minute.
Then stir and microwave for another minute.
Works out just right.

ok thanks guys for your input. I will try both the oats and see which one works best for me.

I too buy the no-name brand, much cheaper than Uncle (rip-off) Toby's.

Gee I sound like a tight arse..LOL

I buy homebrand quick oats. They go straight into my blender with milk, protein, banana and honey. I don't cook them or anything like that and down they go. Quick Oats are better as they are easier to drink down like that for me.

I use home brand or uncle tobys traditional oats.
Mainly for us in shakes, but nothing beats oats cooked on the stove top!

Was planning to give Oatmass a try, but it is rather expensive at $15/kg.. Maybe quick oats will be a better choice, and blend better into shakes than traditional.

I just have homebrand quick oats - eat it raw with milk like cereal, love it :)

Whats the difference between Oat Bran and Oats?

I saw some Oat Bran in the supermarket and it looks like it would mix in a shake better than Oats.

Oat Bran is a cereal right? I reckon it would be far more processed meaning less goodness basically. You would have to compare the content of both of them.

Oat Bran is a cereal right? I reckon it would be far more processed meaning less goodness basically. You would have to compare the content of both of them.

No its not the cereal, just 100% Oat Bran. looks like blended oats. I bought a bag, only cost $1.50 for half a kilo.

I buy lowan's traditional oats and put 1/3 oats in a bowl with 1/3 milk, a handful of sultana's with same amount of almonds and soak overnight, then at breakfast I sap in the microwave for 90sec's, add yoghurt and half a banana. Yummo and very filling, so much yummier than quick oats!

I love rolled oats now. I have been cooking it in the micro with water, a small amount of oat bran and splenda. Its yummo. I like the bits that dont cook too. mmm

I have oats + hot water, then into the nuker for a minute, then half a cup of milk to cool it and add some nutrition, and a spoonful of honey to make it more palatable.

Excellent start to the day, just don't stand behind me when I'm deadlifting.

lol...thats too funny. Ive been slowly killing my husband all day today! :) he hates me now.

Your fellah a Stones fan?

Angie, Angie, when will those smells all disappear?
Angie, Angie, where will it lead us from here?
With our eyes squeezed closed and our noses in our hands
You can't say we're satisfied
But Angie, Angie, you can't say we never tried
Angie, you're beautiful, but ain't it time we said good-bye?
Angie, I still love you, remember all those nights we cried?
All the dreams we held so close seemed to all go up in oats
Let me whisper in your ear:
Angie, Angie, where will it lead us from here?

lol..thats so good I have to get him to read it..thanks.

For me its HomeBrand Rolled Oats all the way, mixed with a serving of vanilla protein powder and water. Leave it for a few minutes and then down that mushy tasty goodess.