• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Front Squats or Back Squats

L

lordoftime

THis may be an individual thing, but only since recently starting getting into a strength training program (probably just over a month now), I am seriously contemplating of just doing front squats instead of back squats (which I have just started learning how to do front squats, so am just learning with the bar only/small weight to make sure technique is good, which from what my trainer told me, it is good.).

I am noticing that when I do front squats, my hamstrings appear to be almost touching the calf area (as the placement of the bar makes it much easier for me to get down lower without any difficulty).

However, with the back squat, for some reason, I just simple cannot go down that low, and I think I maybe approx to parallel region, if I am lucky to get there lol. For some reason when I try to do some kind of back squat, my range of motion is limited. That is just how it is with me.

From describing my problem, would I be best off doing Front Squats only and not worry about the back squats?

Even when I do a squat stance with my arms facing forward, I can see that limitation. But Front squat positions, I can go down lower with more ease and more naturally too.

WHat are peoples take on this?

DO I have a flexibility issue when it comes to back squats, but with front squats it doesn't apply?

do both. Front squats work the quads a bit more than back sqauts.

back squats to get lower its about flexibility and practice. try widen your stance a little and point your toes out to the sides a little. practise practise practise and your back squat will become ATG style and become awesome.

Brendon said every single word that I was thinking.

I used to have the same issue without being able to go ATG. Now I can squat straight to the ground. It is quite possibly a form issue, that is what was stuffing me up. Remember to have feet shoulder width or just past shoulder width apart with toes pointed out slightly, sit back into the squat and keep core tight, push through your heels and BANG! Back squat baby.

Holding the bar a bit further back has really helped me to get stronger on my squat and not want to fold as heavier loads increase.

I have to agree with the guys above - from what you have said (and this is normaly the most common problem) it sounds like your flexibility is off - like the guys said widen your stance and im sure you will see a world of difference - are you going the normal shoulder width? - if so prob go at least another half a foot out on both sides.

What I normaly do with ppl who havn't squated before or are having probs getting low enough - i'll make them box squat with a wide stance for prob at least a month and once you have done that 1000 times you will normaly go to that same spot once you pull that box out - it will also strengthen the glutes and hamstrings more so than a free/back squat - which in turn once you remove the box will help your free squat.

For me i'll do 90% of my squating to a box, I will do some free/back squats and i'll hardly ever do front squats.

Last edited:
When you say to a box Powersports are you talking touch and go, as an indicator? Not a box squat per se?

I was told that I don't have to squat as low as I do, which I thought was weird. This was by someone very much in the know. I guess going to a point where your hips go just past your patella is a legal squat, but I love the feeling of getting right down there.

When you say to a box Powersports are you talking touch and go, as an indicator? Not a box squat per se?

I was told that I don't have to squat as low as I do, which I thought was weird. This was by someone very much in the know. I guess going to a point where your hips go just past your patella is a legal squat, but I love the feeling of getting right down there.

Nah I will always get my guys to do full box squats to activate the hams, glutes and lower back - I will never just do touch and go.

I never knew you could squat to low LOL

Last edited:
Yeah I have been doing the normal shoulder width, sometimes a bit beyond.

Sometimes depending on my stance, I may be able to go that little bit (probably wouldn't notice if I do lol). But I don;t want to widen it too much cos I feel awkward:D lol.

Yeah my flexibility is definitely off. I have for the most of my life not been the best in flexibility, and I think as I got older, my flexibility somewhat decayed over the years lol. Maybe where I lack in one area, I maybe able to pickup good in another area, or variation of the same exercise, like doing front and back squats on different days?

WHat are box squats? Do you have a box under your butt? (never familair with them).

Plus where I train, it is more of a health club than a actual definition of a gym lol. Still they got the free weights so thats what counts :D It was the only place I could choose that was clsoe to where I live.

SPeaking of health clubs, this is something that has annoyed the crap out of me, but why do so many of these places seem to always want to introduce people to the machine based exercises first? I truly hate them and when I first started over a month ago, I made a point to my trainer that I have no intention of using those machine based exercises, period. ANd yes I have used them years and years ago and it was a complete waste of time (guess you learn from past mistakes :D)

I never knew you could squat to low LOL

That is what I thought. Although it was more to do with competitions and where you squat to. As long as your hips go past parellel (below patella) it is a legal squat. I guess by only allowing yourself to go just past you can load more weight? :confused:

I actually prefer the feeling of going right down, the feeling of halting myself puts me out of my groove.

I really need to have a crack at the box squats. I only ever just squat. I am sure I have read things from Markos that he gets his clients to very seldom box squat, only when trying to improve form or overload? I may even recall that he said unless you are getting up to 140kg that box squatting may not do much as you really need to just squat before that. Correct me if I am wrong Markos.

So only 10% of the time you have people actually squatting Powersports?

I use box squats at 29cm and 33cm, bench squats at 42cm and super wide bench squats, feet touching the upright supports.

Always been a big fan of box squats.

You have flexibilty issues and possibly weak hips. Try the wide stance box squats that Joel mentioned. Start above parallel, then slowly get lower and lower boxes.

Your hips will cop a hammering at first.

You have flexibilty issues and possibly weak hips. Try the wide stance box squats that Joel mentioned. Start above parallel, then slowly get lower and lower boxes.

Your hips will cop a hammering at first.

I am certain about the flexibility issues.

Can a sedentary lifestyle contribute to weak hips? Especially if physical activity was not regular?

Cut a long story short, alot of my life, I have had personal battles with depression, tried doing different physical activites on and off, but always found it difficult. It is only now I am really more serious. (after what I went through the past 3 years, sinus disease, jaw joint problems, chronic fatique), I really want to better myself.

I am in a sense putting more effort compared to my previous years before I got ill (in a manner of speaking, my heart is more into it this time).

Yes a sedentary lifestyle can contribute to weak hips, overall you probably won't have much strength or flexibility. At least you are doing something about it though!

Yes a sedentary lifestyle can contribute to weak hips, overall you probably won't have much strength or flexibility. At least you are doing something about it though!

Yeah I suppose with my flexibility and other issues, I just have to do the best I can.

It is also hard in the sense I don't have anyone to train with, so training on your own does make things harder, not that its much of a matter with me anyways, always been more of a loner anyway.

I only have one goal, and that is to improve each time I work out to the best I can.

I have at least learnt one thing with my previous experience when I first went to the gym over 5 years ago, no more machine based exercises, and no more isolation ones. This time I focus on simple compound exercises.

And one positive side of things, I have managed to lose a few kilos since starting over 1 month ago, and noticing gradual improvements in my strength overall.

video yourself squating, it helping me with my technique. most digital cameras can take videos.

That is what I thought. Although it was more to do with competitions and where you squat to. As long as your hips go past parellel (below patella) it is a legal squat. I guess by only allowing yourself to go just past you can load more weight? :confused:

I actually prefer the feeling of going right down, the feeling of halting myself puts me out of my groove.

I really need to have a crack at the box squats. I only ever just squat. I am sure I have read things from Markos that he gets his clients to very seldom box squat, only when trying to improve form or overload? I may even recall that he said unless you are getting up to 140kg that box squatting may not do much as you really need to just squat before that. Correct me if I am wrong Markos.

So only 10% of the time you have people actually squatting Powersports?

Yea mate only around 10% of the time I would say - some coaches are different and it will be pretty much the other way around (90% squat, 10% box - normaly for practice)

But seeing as though alot of people I train are junior athletes I put huge importance on developing the glutes, hamstrings and lower back - so lots of box squats, good mornings, glute ham raise, rev hyper,45 degree hyper, stiff deads etc

If my athlete has big hamstrings,strong glutes, thick lower back, thick upper back and big tris then im happy lol.

Yeah I have been doing the normal shoulder width, sometimes a bit beyond.

Sometimes depending on my stance, I may be able to go that little bit (probably wouldn't notice if I do lol). But I don;t want to widen it too much cos I feel awkward:D lol.

Yeah my flexibility is definitely off. I have for the most of my life not been the best in flexibility, and I think as I got older, my flexibility somewhat decayed over the years lol. Maybe where I lack in one area, I maybe able to pickup good in another area, or variation of the same exercise, like doing front and back squats on different days?

WHat are box squats? Do you have a box under your butt? (never familair with them).

Plus where I train, it is more of a health club than a actual definition of a gym lol. Still they got the free weights so thats what counts :D It was the only place I could choose that was clsoe to where I live.

SPeaking of health clubs, this is something that has annoyed the crap out of me, but why do so many of these places seem to always want to introduce people to the machine based exercises first? I truly hate them and when I first started over a month ago, I made a point to my trainer that I have no intention of using those machine based exercises, period. ANd yes I have used them years and years ago and it was a complete waste of time (guess you learn from past mistakes :D)

On your last point regarding machine exercises - I think in a health club setting with these "trainers" - its comes down to 1. Lack of knowledge (alot of them) on how to do compound exercises correctly - so they wont show you and 2. they are lazy and machines are alot easier to show ppl and get your assessment done so they have time to talk about what they are going to do on the weekend with the reception girl lol - oh I love "health clubs"

they are lazy and machines are alot easier to show ppl

That is my impression. Machines are a lot easier I agree, but they don't really do the job properly. Speaking of machines, what about the horror stories I keep on hearing about the smith machine? I remember years and years ago when I first started learning how to squat on those machines, in less than a month, I stopped using them, it was just so unnatural.

That is my impression. Machines are a lot easier I agree, but they don't really do the job properly. Speaking of machines, what about the horror stories I keep on hearing about the smith machine? I remember years and years ago when I first started learning how to squat on those machines, in less than a month, I stopped using them, it was just so unnatural.

Yea your not really helping someone if your showing them how to squat on a smith machine.

I saw a "trainer" the other day getting someone to do deadlifts on a smith machine lol.

I'm hoping I see someone power cleaning on the smith machine.. that would make my day, or week even...

:)

That would make my year in regards to stupid things in the gym that I see lol - someone trying to power clean on the smith machine ahh that would be classic.

Thats nearly as cool as standing over the bench press and using the bar to do curls on - oh I love when I see that. lol