• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

how bad is salt for you?

pistachio

hi all, just wondering what is an acceptable level of salt to have each day? and if salt really is that bad, provided you are drinking plenty of water?

ah thanks shrek, i did do a quick search before posting but obviously missed these.

i did notice however, that the quantity of salt was not discussed in those threads... so what is a healthy amount of salt to be eating?

I believe the recommended daily intake is 1500 - 2000mg. Drinking lots of water and sweating will lower your sodium levels.

hi all, just wondering what is an acceptable level of salt to have each day? and if salt really is that bad, provided you are drinking plenty of water?

Shrek has pointed you in the right direction. But to answer your question directly I would have to say it's all relative. Your body more than anyone will tell you when you've had too much (when you begin to puff up possibly), or when you've had too little, (when you begin to get dizzy possibly). So listen to your body and read the feedbacks it's giving you and adjust accordingly.

Without salt you and I would not be here. Water is great, but too much of it and not enough salt and it too can kill you. A balance of nutrients as I'm most certain you know already, is what it's all about.

Bodybuilders have died not from steroid abuse, but from a miscalculation with the electrolytes balance. No marking around here as I've alluded to in the links Shrek has pointed out for you above.

Fadi.

Took me a while to realise I wasn't getting enough salt a year or so ago.

I was on this strict diet and just didn't even think of salt.

In the arvos or after 2 hours of lectures/work I would get headaches and get dizzy etc. So I always though it was sugar, would have a banana or a lolly or something but never worked. Turned out it was salt. I drink about 4 litres of water a day and didn't consider increasing my salt to compensate.

Took me a while to realise I wasn't getting enough salt a year or so ago.

I was on this strict diet and just didn't even think of salt.

In the arvos or after 2 hours of lectures/work I would get headaches and get dizzy etc. So I always though it was sugar, would have a banana or a lolly or something but never worked. Turned out it was salt. I drink about 4 litres of water a day and didn't consider increasing my salt to compensate.

Great post, thank you. The more water the more dilution and excretion of sodium. More water here only serves to exasperate the problem.

This is when good becomes bad!

Fadi.

I was told to use iodised table salt and or sea salt as it is better for you.
It was on the news just recently stating people do not get enough iodine in their diet.

Comments?

Giffo

I was told to use iodised table salt and or sea salt as it is better for you.
It was on the news just recently stating people do not get enough iodine in their diet.

Comments?

Giffo

Take a single kelp tablet which has 300mcg of iodine and you're set with the best. Whenever possible, I always prefer taking a concentrated/dense food product for what I need instead of an isolated ingredient.

Sea salt is not a reliable source for iodine; sea food and sea vegetables are though. Although we don't need much iodine to keep the thyroid gland functioning properly (150 micrograms for men/120mcg for women), there are some foods that can neutralise iodine and render it useless such as the brassica family of vegetables which includes: broccoli, spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, collard greens, kohlrabi, etc.

Cruciferous/ brassica vegetables only pose a problem when are eaten raw or are juiced by some people. That’s where kelp is essential in my opinion.

http://healthyeatingclub.com/info/articles/Minerals/iodine.htmhttp://healthyeatingclub.com/info/articles/Minerals/iodine.htmhttp://healthyeatingclub.com/info/articles/Minerals/iodine.htm

Fadi.

Take a single kelp tablet which has 300mcg of iodine and you're set with the best. Whenever possible, I always prefer taking a concentrated/dense food product for what I need instead of an isolated ingredient.

Sea salt is not a reliable source for iodine; sea food and sea vegetables are though. Although we don't need much iodine to keep the thyroid gland functioning properly (150 micrograms for men/120mcg for women), there are some foods that can neutralise iodine and render it useless such as the brassica family of vegetables which includes: broccoli, spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, collard greens, kohlrabi, etc.

Cruciferous/brassica vegetables only pose a problem when are eaten raw or are juiced by some people. That’s where kelp is essential in my opinion.

Iodine deficiency

Fadi.

Wow, awesome comment Fadi,

Will keep this info,

Steve

Last edited: