• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need Help with Diet

V

velez

Hi Guys,

Was hoping some of you could help me out here and hint me if im on the right path for my diet. I wanna gain but slowly if possible just higher than maintain, last time i bulked left quite a belly on me now ive brought it under control. Im Ecto/Meso 179-180cm 80kg. Due to work my 10:30 and 3:00 meals have to be quick 2-3 min.

I train 3 times a week.

7:30
4 egg whites
4 wheatbix
1 Slice of bread wholemeal
250ml milk skim
42g Protein, 69.4 Carbs, 2.7g fat

10:30
2 Cans of Tuna
4 Rice Crackers
35.6g Protein, 40.1g Carbs, 1g fat

12:30
150g Chicken breast
150g Rice & ~125g Potatoe
1 slice of wholemeal bread
50.4g Protein, 79.3g Carbs, 8.6g fat

15:00
Protein Shake
4 rice crackers
43g Protein, 31.8g Carb, 3g fat

17:30
Dinner (Typically Meat/Poultry)
Vegetables/Rice/Potaoes
40g Protein, 60g carbs, 10g fat (Est)

**On Gym Days Protein Before & After Workout (Pushes 19:30 meal later)

19:30
150g Chicken breast
150g Rice & ~125g Potatoe
1 slice of wholemeal bread
50.4 protein, 79.3 carbs, 6.1 fat

22:30
250g Cottage Cheese
2 Slices of wholemeal bread
2 rice crackers
35.5g Protein, 44.3g Carbs, 5.7g Fat

TOTAL(2858 cal) - 253.9g Protein, 372g Carbs, 39.2g Fat

Would like your thoughts and input as it seems a little too simple to me.Cheers

You could eat more cals than that I reckon. How fast are you gaining weight? Usually for bulking a good mix is 40% P, 40% C and 20% F.

A 12% fat diet is one sure way to compromise on your immune and endocrine systems. The rest of your diet is around 35% protein and 52% carbs.

Just remember that fat burns in the furnace of muscle. The more muscle you have and can maintain the more fat you'll lose. Cutting down on fat is not the answer. Having a balanced diet that is slightly surplus in calorie will take care of all your energy needs, your health, and will add the beef (if you're training right).

Raise your fat ratio to 30% whilst bringing down your protein to 25% and carbs to 45%. This will insure you have all the energy you need for a great workout and a healthy immune system. Also, fat at this ratio will help balance/stabilise your blood sugar levels and hence stops you from cravings/binging. There's a difference between an excessive amount of fat and a moderate amount. And there is such a thing as too little fat and a weakened immune system.

Fadi.

Last edited:
You could eat more cals than that I reckon. How fast are you gaining weight? Usually for bulking a good mix is 40% P, 40% C and 20% F.

I estimate my caloric intake to maintain weight to be at about 1700-1800 cal/day (to keep me at 80kg) i know its pretty low but id bet my right arm its at that. (keep in mind im at work from 8am to 6pm 5 days a week sitting behind desk.... on off days i go home and just relax go to bed early, Cardio 1 night a week for 45min and gym 3 times a week) im not a very active person.

Is it possible at all for someone to be more sensative than others to food or does it all come down to how much energy you burn?

Fadi said:
A 12% fat diet is one sure way to compromise on your immune and endocrine systems. The rest of your diet is around 35% protein and 52% carbs.

Just remember that fat burns in the furnace of muscle. The more muscle you have and can maintain the more fat you'll lose. Cutting down on fat is not the answer. Having a balanced diet that is slightly surplus in calorie will take care of all your energy needs, your health, and will add the beef (if you're training right).

Raise your fat ratio to 30% whilst bringing down your protein to 25% and carbs to 45%. This will insure you have all the energy you need for a great workout and a healthy immune system. Also, fat at this ratio will help balance/stabilise your blood sugar levels and hence stops you from cravings/binging. There's a difference between an excessive amount of fat and a moderate amount. And there is such a thing as too little fat and a weakened immune system.

Fadi.

Hi Fadi,

so with a 2858 Cal Diet you suggest something like....

Fat 95g
Protein 179g
carbs 322g

Wouldn't 179g of protein be not enough? ive always read 1.5g of protein per per pound of body weight. Im not sure if i can eat 95g of fat a day lol....would olive oil in salads and cooking eggs be a sufficient way to boost this? Was also thinking something like chicken avocado salad + some nuts for snacking between meals (not sure if snacking is something i should be doing either, could you advise me on this as well)

Im still not very muscley, im starting to move along nicely but i think i still got alot of fat on me already, Very skinny up top but have a minature donut around my belly

Thanks for your comments guys

Ok, before I answer any more questions velez, I need you to have a defined goal that is not contradictory. Either you set your mind on gaining muscle; or you set your mind on losing fat! What's it going to be?

Because once you can answer that question decisively without any hesitation, then, and only then will progress come.

Let me know (in case I'm going blind in my old age here and not seen your definitive statement). So far I've got maintain and gain...

Thanks.

Fadi.

I'm pretty much the same as you weight, height, ecto, a bit more active though with a similar diet and I completely agree with Fadi. I had the same probolem with my last bulk and was scared of fats even though I have a good metabolism.

I started to introduce a few more good fats this time from pb, whole eggs, olive oil, etc and I definitely started seeing better results - more muscle growth and suprisingly less fat gain. Replace some of those carbs with fat so you still get enough protein.

Ok, before I answer any more questions velez, I need you to have a defined goal that is not contradictory. Either you set your mind on gaining muscle; or you set your mind on losing fat! What's it going to be?

Because once you can answer that question decisively without any hesitation, then, and only then will progress come.

Let me know (in case I'm going blind in my old age here and not seen your definitive statement). So far I've got maintain and gain...

Thanks.

Fadi.

i would like to gain :D

i would like to gain :D

Copy that, thank you for a decisive/straight forward answer. Now before looking closely at the eating plan, there's something I'd like you to consider Mr. Velez and that is your training. Many who want to gain, make a huge mistake (and I mean huge in more ways than one here) in that they don't train accordingly enough to match the calories they're consuming. By that I mean, if your training is not the right kind of training, you'll end up going up in weight, but the ratio between muscles to fat would have a gap in it that would be wider than necessary.

So if you eat big to get big; then you train big to get the "right" big. Let your training be the determining factor in the fat to muscle ratio that you are going to gain.

There are many people here with many journals happening. So forgive me if I've missed yours. Could you fill me in on who Velez is. You can put up some links if you like just incase I've missed what you wrote about yourself and how you train etc.Thank you.

Fadi.