• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

bodybuilding gym in melbourne

A

amok

can someone suggest me any serious bodybuilding gym in melbourne plz...i live in prahran but happy to travel to get quality training...i dont wanna join any fitness centre where trainer have no idea what they r talking about...i wanna train in a place where there are good trainers and regular competitors...

someone suggested me dohetry 24/7 and bodyworld in balaclava

i know everyone is experienced in this form so hope tat someone will help me out....my fried told me tat new gym virgin activ is also good but its mainly for fitness rather then bodybuilding..they have dumbell of max 40 kg....gyms i welcome as many suggestions as possibe..

if this post have been posted before then i am sorry for tat or if i placed this post in wrong section then plz feel free to move it or delete it...

thank u very much

i tried yello pages and google but nothing came up. Hope there r some serious bodybuilders from melbourne who can show me right path.

I know you mentioned it in your post, but check out a Doherty's gym, especially Doherty's Dandenong - I doubt you'll look much further. I train there (and travel from Frankston to do so) and it's an awesome bodybuilder's gym. No fitness classes or similar going on, just a really raw gym with big weights (DBs up to 200lbs) and plenty of guys who compete - it's a great atmosphere. Ronnie Coleman was there last Thursday and was impressed so I'm sure you'll be.

thanks guys for yr help...i will check dohetry gym then..i cant go to dandenong but i can go to city dohetry and brunswick....do anyone have any idea about bodyworld gym its just next to my house and i heard they are also bodubuilding gym...but anyway i m going to check dohetry for sure..once again thanks alot guys

Bodyworld is a good gym, a mate who competes trains there. I've only been there once, it's small gym but has good equipment. If bodyworld is close by then you should check it out? Surely physically seeing a gym will be better than reading a post about it?

Do they have barbells and dumbbells,squat racks and benches, thats all you need.

What are you actually looking for, a water fountain that builds muscle?

i know u need only dumbell , barbell n bench but there is difference in fitness centre n proper gym ...in fitness centres there r mostly unqualified trainers ,who have no idea what they are talking about..they are good to help u in loosing weights not tat good in gaining weights...they dont have experience in body building, posing...well in professional gym trainer talk from experience and many yr of experience....

also it also depent on the size of dumbell,barbell in club....in health clubs n fitness centre u will not find the same amount of weights as in professional gym due to insurance reason....so before making fun on someone comments this twice....if u guys are weight lifters then defenitly u know all these better then me....i got 2 frens who works out one in health club n one in serious gym...the friend who works in heath club ,if he lifts heavy weights then thin pt come n scold him that its too much where as in other friend gym which is run by owner himself ..the owner comes n gives him help to left tat extra weights.....

my mindset is not to loose weight or just to tone up so fitness centre is not good choice for me..my mid set is to get bigger so i wanna go to gym where there r other ppl of my mindset so i can get help ,advice from them.....

i started this post to get advise not to make funny comment..if u dont have any other job then making funny comment then better dont reply over here..but if u wanna give yr options on gym then plz go ahead...as i m going to join around nov so still i have plenty of time to look around....

thanks

Mate, dont worry about any posters on here that lack tact. The ability of some to type before even thinking never ceases to amaze me.

Olympia in South Melbourne works for me. Old school, and a breath of fresh air when I joined (compared to the dreaded Genesis). Very friendly too.

I've driven past Olympia in Sth Melb a few times, on the hot days in Summer and they have the roller doors open and it looks really old school inside. Looked like fun!

Do they have barbells and dumbbells,squat racks and benches, thats all you need.

What are you actually looking for, a water fountain that builds muscle?

i wasn't going to say it, i wanted somebody to put it....well....better than i would!

Out of interest, how long have you been training for Amok and what specifically do you get from a Bodybuilding gym? What is it that these gyms have that you use that others don't? I can understand the bigger blokes that all compete etc and some advice on posing.

At my gym, a commercial gym, 3 PT's compete in Bodybuilding comps. There are dumbells to 50kg, and lots and lots of plates etc. Definitely enough to give you what you need. If you need dumbells 50kg+ what are your lifts like? :eek:

Also, what are the costs for these "bodybuilding" gyms?

That is a good point, I never thought of that. Do they have less of those pointless machines that are at Health Clubs these days?

Also, what would be the pre-requisites in training at one of these gyms. If they have 200lbs dumbells, surely you would at least want to be throwing around 120lbs+ dumbells to make it worthwhile? I'd hate to go in there only to find that 45lbs dumbells don't exist. How would I do my tricep kickbacks? :D

Last edited:
That is a good point, I never thought of that. Do they have less of those pointless machines that are at Health Clubs these days?

Also, what would be the pre-requisites in training at one of these gyms. If they have 200lbs dumbells, surely you would at least want to be throwing around 120lbs+ dumbells to make it worthwhile? I'd hate to go in there only to find that 45lbs dumbells don't exist. How would I do my tricep kickbacks? :D
Simple solution, stop doing tricep kickbacks :p

At Doherty's Dandy DB's start as low as 10lb, everyone is catered for and there are no pre-requisites. If you're serious about training and enjoy training you'll fit in no matter what you lift. If you use the squat rack for doing barbell curls in between talking to your mates on your mobile phone, you'll probably be better off at Fitness First (assuming Fitness First has squat racks?).