• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlifting

PowerBuilder

Just a quick question for the more experienced folks. The less experienced can of course put in their 2 cents worth.

I was watching a video of Mark Rippetoe teaching the deadlift. Now, since I can't actually pipe up in the middle of an old youtube clip, i thought i'd do something even better. Ask my question here.

When deadlifting, would you be able to maintain a straighter back (and thus not arch your back) by sticking your chest up even more & your arse out ?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA[/YOUTUBE]

I had some good pointers today on my Deadlift. I spoke to a fella that runs a purely Powerlifting gym and he has been powerlifting for over 15 years. I was only using 50kg on the bar and he showed me some things that are certainly going to help my Deadlift.

One of the things he said to do was my stance came a little closer and I pointed my toes out a bit. He then said to "point my toes to the sky", there was only 50kg on the bar though it made a difference to the way I was driving through my heels and the way that my hips were rising. My technique got so much better in about 10 minutes!!

He also was got me to have a much stronger hip thrust as my hips weren't rising as fast as they were previously. I had more leverage to lock out my Deadlift, I hadn't been thrusting my hips that fast and powerfully previously as I didn't have as much movement in my hips as they had risen too fast. Now I was only playing around with 50kg, but I know it will make a massive difference. He also said that I should be using baby powder on my thighs to help the bar slide up the top of my legs. It was some awesome info and I am sure it is going to help me improve my Deadlift ALOT!

Just a quick question for the more experienced folks. The less experienced can of course put in their 2 cents worth.

I was watching a video of Mark Rippetoe teaching the deadlift. Now, since I can't actually pipe up in the middle of an old youtube clip, i thought i'd do something even better. Ask my question here.

When deadlifting, would you be able to maintain a straighter back (and thus not arch your back) by sticking your chest up even more & your arse out ?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA[/youtube]

awesome video man.

Thanks.

My main problem with deadlift was that my form is totally out of whack and i see why now.

Since i found the clip, deadlifting has been...exciting in a way, hearing Mark explain how to do it & seeing it at the same time.

Video isnt working for me?

Me neither.

AND on old deadlifting in the 1980's 90's

Long long ago......

Back in the olden days I used to love doing Deadlifts with a long mild steel crome 1" bar.

On max workout poundages there was so much flex and give in the bar that the weights seemed to come off the ground ages after the lift began.

Just like the ausbb logo at the top of the page.

Kind of worked like a variable resistance cam. The weights were only heaviest after they left the ground and at the top of the rep.

And the feel of the weights boining the bar was very fun as it made you feel like superman.

I found I could actually lift a lot more on a bendy bar.

Was a completely different exercise.

Anyone else remember those days..... Gyms pre olympic plates?

Nostalgia!!!

Last edited:
I have no doubt you could lift more wish such a bendy bar. It would kind of become something similar to a rack pull, which is the strongest part of the lift.

I don't lift heavy enough to get our bar bending. :( One day!

I have no doubt you could lift more wish such a bendy bar. It would kind of become something similar to a rack pull, which is the strongest part of the lift.

I don't lift heavy enough to get our bar bending. :( One day!

Hey Josh,

Do you have any lifting straps to help grip?

My hands give out long before my legs. I can do heaps more reps too.

Also use em for all back training. Harbinger pro lifting straps with soft neoprene wrist strap and grippy stuff on the bar strap. Find em on ebay usa

Best

Rob

Before I used straps for 70kg over but since I stoped using them I can deadlift 120kg without them, Im sure I could grip with more weight once I start beating my 1rm.

Hey Josh,

Also use em for all back training. Harbinger pro lifting straps with soft neoprene wrist strap and grippy stuff on the bar strap. Find em on ebay usa

Best

Rob

Why dont you not use them and then you will improve your grip as well as working your back.

Try some farmers walks and captains of crush grippers if you want serious grip strength.

Hey Josh,

Best

Rob

Hey Rob,

I don't use straps. The only thing I use is chalk which helps alot on the ****ty Health Club Bars that I use at our gym. They basically have no knurling.

Using straps will make it harder for your grip to keep up, you should try to avoid using them. If grip is your weakest part of the lift then train grip strength to improve it - I have the same problem.

I am positive that the hands will give out on plate loaded row machine way before my back does.

Using 100kg in single arm rows. ie 220Lb

I am old and set in my ways. Part of my kit. Part of my happy place.

Rob

Back to Mike's sig about Bodybuilders and Weightlifters then hey Rob? :p hehe

If you build up grip strength wouldn't this in turn help develop forearm strength and size?

straps are a good idea for maximal lifts or longer sets. its makes no sense to use a lighter weight to accommodate your grip and not fully develop legs, glutes and back. dont use them on every lift, just the one that are causing trouble.
of course is it still good to work on grip strength and not let the straps do all the work.

I have a 70kg 17yo hanging onto 250kg rack pulls no dramas. He also uses 200kg for shrugs.

Anyone claims to using wraps because theyre back is stronger is full of crap sorry.

Train your weakness.

Back to Mike's sig about Bodybuilders and Weightlifters then hey Rob? :p hehe

If you build up grip strength wouldn't this in turn help develop forearm strength and size?

In THEORY!

Tell that to my new Melbourne Cup Shirt. Both Forearms killed it today and no pump at all. No workouts done since mid last week. Size XXXL.

What am I supposed to wear to work. Homer Simpsons Muumuu? LOL
DSCF9044.jpg

I have a 70kg 17yo hanging onto 250kg rack pulls no dramas. He also uses 200kg for shrugs.

Anyone claims to using wraps because theyre back is stronger is full of crap sorry.

Train your weakness.

Would be a weakness if my arms were small.

Crap indeed. Grumpy boy!

LOL

Do what ever works. Straps, no straps, mankini whatever.

But don't forget to have fun.:):):)

and have rest days..... LOL