• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

I wish I could push harder but I can't

L

-LJ-

Ok I consider myself weak compared to trained powerlifters. I have been a gym member for nearly two months now and have seen some improvements in my strength which I am happy about.

Take for instance bench press; I know when I'm at my limit as I lose form and my arms get really shaky. When I reach rep failure I just cannot push the weight no matter how hard I try. I am not under any pain, its feels like my muscles will not work.

Am I meant to be feeling pain, because I am not trying hard enough? I feel as though I am busting my gut to try and push the weight but once I reach rep failure its over.

Is there any science behind this? Do your muscles use up all the available energy and then refuse to work more?

Last edited:
Just keep training.

What you're experiencing is two things: learning the movement, and the inhibitory response.

At our stage (beginners), it's not energy that limits, it's knowing the movement. It's as I've said before: I have bigger muscles than Ricky Ponting, but he can throw a cricket ball faster and more accurately than me. Why? He's practised that movement, so he knows how to exert his strength for the best effect.

In the same way, most of your strength gains in lifting as a beginner are mental, learning the movement, learning how to switch on those muscles, and exert your strength for best effect. That's what the trembling is, it's your muscles going, "should I switch on? Am I really needed? Is it safe to switch on?"

There's also an inhibitory response in your muscles. That is, they say, "Hey, if I have too much tension I'll snap! I'd better hold back a bit. This guy wants me to lift 80kg, I've never had that much tension before, if I have that much tension won't I tear? Maybe, so I better drop the tension, better not switch on all the muscle fibres." Over time, your muscles and nervous system learn that they can hold quite a lot of tension without tearing, and you're able to lift more.

This does not mean that there's no muscle growth in the beginning. Of course there is. For some people, heaps! But it does mean that the learning and disinhibitory responses are more important for strength gains, though. Once we're past this beginner stage, it begins to be much more about muscle growth.

The body's a funny thing.

In other words, keep training.

Last edited:
i guess it's called failure for a reason - you can't move the weight anymore..
2 months is not a long time.. i've been training about 6 months now, and still have a long way ahead of me..

as per Kyle's and Markos' notes.. experience under the bar is invaluable - and make sure you're using correct form.. even things like the way you breathe will effect your performance..

Not that I'm one to give advice - but I have been through very frustrating moments at the gym, and still do go through these moments.. Unless you've got someone like Markos on your back every session, it takes time figure out what works/doesn't work for you.

don't expect too much too soon..

Last edited:
Thanks everyone you have been very helpful. I guess I am trying to find out if it is more of a mental thing. Kyle what you say makes a lot of sense.

It seems there are quite a few beginners around here. You guys are in awesome hands, I wish I had the support and resources that are around here when I started.

I partly agree with Raphsta about what does/doesn't work for you. Though I will say it is not rocket science, alot of the info around here for beginners is great and it will work for everyone.

Keep pushing hard mate, it is the only way. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

i guess it's called failure for a reason - you can't move the weight anymore..
2 months is not a long time.. i've been training about 6 months now, and still have a long way ahead of me..don't expect too much too soon..

Raphael,

You're still new to training in more ways than one. There are steps that you have to go through before thinking of the word failure. Have you spent few weeks developing your tendon and ligament strength through some weight circuit training?

Your muscles develop strength a lot quicker than your tendons and ligaments. What do you think is happening right now when you're failing under the load of the weights? Your muscles are failing but give thoughts to your joints; they are coping a beating that will result in injury sooner than later.

Forget about the heavies for now and get back to some basics. Train your joints through circuits and then do weights that you can handle for 10 reps whilst leaving 3 reps in the tank (not one). Muscles do not operate very well unless the nervous system that is supporting them has been taught to adapt. You teach it; not force it.

This is a time of learning; not breaking your own records Raphael.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=xWqgduguYB4C&pg=PA110&lpg=PA110&dq=nervous+system+muscle+contraction&source=bl&ots=fdg4-w_pFf&sig=z_c0qE_GGNcfsewjcBiFjsPv2To&hl=en&ei=YGTUSvOgKYWDkAXUm-D_DQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CBsQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=nervous%20system%20muscle%20contraction&f=false

Fadi.

Last edited:
lol.........its okay Fadi, Raph is not a complete novice. He even flew down from Sydney and had a session at PTC, he is going to drop in every time he is down. He goes okay, perfect form, above average strength, good programs.

lol.........its okay Fadi, Raph is not a complete novice. He even flew down from Sydney and had a session at PTC, he is going to drop in every time he is down. He goes okay, perfect form, above average strength, good programs.

Oops, sorry about that Markos and Raph; I must have misunderstood.

Fadi.

:)
All good.. I was just trying to say that 2 months is not a long time, and -LJ- should have realistic expectations..

Fadi - your comments are definitely valid, and I think that -LJ- in particular should heed your advice..

Thank you Fadi, that link was an excellent read.

Raphsta 2 months is not a long time however I do not think I have unrealistic expectations. My original post was about pushing the bar and how much of a mental vs physical aspect there was. As Kyle put it, I may not be activating all my muscle fibres to get a maximum push as I have not learnt how to yet.

I am going off the following chart to get a feeling of where I am. I don't have that much further to go until I am in the Novice strength catagory.

One thing though I have been doing 3 sets of 5. Sometimes when I increase weight I cannot make 3 x 5 so I drop the weight back down or sometimes I am at rep failure at the end of 3 x 5 which is not 3 left in the tank.

Weightlifting Performance Standards

LJ, have a look at the Beginners Training program uploaded by PTC. It may be of assistance. Given that you are in the beginners stage, you may benefit from a rep range of 8 - 10?

LJ, have a look at the Beginners Training program uploaded by PTC. It may be of assistance. Given that you are in the beginners stage, you may benefit from a rep range of 8 - 10?

At the moment I am going to stick with the Beginners program called 'Starting Strength' by Mark Rippetoe. I got a hold of the book so will do this until I feel I am not gaining any strength.

Amazon.com: Starting Strength (2nd edition) (9780976805427): Mark Rippetoe, Lon Kilgore: Books

Starting Strength is very popular hey! It must be OK, because it focuses on SQUATS and MILK! :)

I've only flicked through SS, but must say I hated the Power Clean form taught in the book. The whole "jump" thing frustrated me...

It is a good read though, has some interesting history tidbits, and it sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
His forum is good value, at least for a laugh. Coach Rip sure rips into some of the idiots that ask stupid questions there - it's classic.

Last edited:
Starting Strength is very popular hey! It must be OK, because it focuses on SQUATS and MILK! :)

I've only flicked through SS, but must say I hated the Power Clean form taught in the book. The whole "jump" thing frustrated me...

It is a good read though, has some interesting history tidbits, and it sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
His forum is good value, at least for a laugh. Coach Rip sure rips into some of the idiots that ask stupid questions there - it's classic.

I actually don't do the powercleans. I was advised against it unless someone who knew how to teach it could supervise. I do bent over rows instead as a back exercise.

This attitude towards the powerclean is idiotic, I hear it all the time, bend over, grab the bar, pull it up to your shoulders, while keeping the bar close to your body.

Your not trying to make the Olympic team, millions of people do it, there not killing themselves.

Two kinds of lifters.

Warriors and Worriers.

This attitude towards the powerclean is idiotic, I hear it all the time, bend over, grab the bar, pull it up to your shoulders, while keeping the bar close to your body.

Your not trying to make the Olympic team, millions of people do it, there not killing themselves.

Two kinds of lifters.

Warriors and Worriers.

If you think I don't have a likelyhood of injuring myself, then I will give it a go, low low weight to start and build up.

I was doing squats the other day and a guy told me I should put on a belt or I would injure myself!

Have a look at some youtube vids to help you out LJ. Squats WITH a belt will injure you soon enough as you won't build a strong core.