• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerlifting Competitions

J

Josh_GTiR

I am thinking of possibly entering a Powerlifting Comp. Now I still consider myself pretty weak and don't want to be a complete embarassment so I am looking around for results from dudes in my weight class. The best I have found for a RAW comp are some results from 2006, I was actually surprised by the numbers that are being thrown up. I could have placed and if any of the PTC dudes went out and had a shot they would win and probably set some records.:D

There is not alot out there and CAPO seems to be pretty much dormant. I didn't even realise I was already a member of their site and I checked their forum. They have had 2 or 3 responses in the last month, so I guess that explains the little amount of info out there.

The comp I am looking at is RAW and there are a few PT's from my gym that are thinking of entering. After some discussion yersterday I think I am going to give it a shot too. I am more in it for the fun aspect and would like to try and push out some PB's.

So my questions, who has competed before? Where can I find info about rules? Where can I find some more up to date RAW comp results? Am I likely to embarrass myself and the sport of Powerlifting? :D

Dude its an experience, I came 3rd last at the PTC comp and had a blast! youll learn a lot from watching others and push yourself harder then you have before.

As to where to where to get info I have NFI sorry :(

That is the main thing I want to get out of it, an experience. If I can set some new PB's I would be stoked, which I think would be likely given the atmosphere and conditions.

I've been reading some rules on the Bench Press, it sounds like it would be easy to foul a lift.

This comp is run by a guy who competes in powerlifting and does some training with one of the PT's at my gym. I don't expect it to be overly professional.

Where can I find some more up to date RAW comp results? Am I likely to embarrass myself and the sport of Powerlifting? :D
These are the powerlifting australia 2009 results. What Markos considers the "any male beginner can manage in the first 12 months" would do well at any state or town meet, and be noticed at the national meet, going on these recent results.

For example, if he had competed in those July nationals (I assume they have state meets as qualifiers) Josh's current 76kg bodyweight would put him in the 82.5kg class, and with SQ140/B105/DL160 he would have come last, but not by a huge margin - the next up would be Laird Ross on 185/145/190.

Josh would want to either lose 1kg and drop to the 75kg division, where with the same lifts he would place in the middle, or add 4+kg lean mass and continue at the 82.5kg class and get his lift total to 600kg or so.

The results, by the way, really reinforce that saying that "the competition isn't over until the bar hits the floor." Laird Ross placed last in his weight division, but had a better bench press than the top guy Christopher Seville.

That's the nationals, the state ones would be a lot easier to do well in. It seems that there are a lot of strong people out there, but that few strong people bother competing officially.

Anyway, that Powerlifting Australia website has a lot of info.

I wonder if those results "these recent results" are a geared comp. I would think they are. I looked at your other link and checked out the UQ Novice comps. I think the comp I am looking at could probably be compared to something like this.

I am definitely going to get down to 74kg if I choose to compete. I also think you are spot on Kyle, there are a heap more strong people out there who don't bother competing.

I think people in general are not interested in participating in competitions, but also those who think of it, will like you tend to think their performance wouldn't be very impressive. We imagine we'd be competing with giants and heroes :)

I'm not sure about the raw/geared aspect, the site is unclear. In the geared competitions, is there a rule that you have to wear gear? :p Anyway, you might be interested in the qualifying totals.

Those technical rules do my head in, though.

Edit: Today, I am a moron who cannot read.

Last edited:
That is the Women's qualifying totals. Are you saying I am a Woman?

We would be looking at -

82.5kg
D - 345
C - 450
B - 525
A - 600
E2 - 665
E1 - 725

I am more interested in the 75kg class.

D - 325
C - 425
B - 495
A - 565
E2 - 625
E1 - 680

I am in the D class. :( That is right though, because I have basically never trained for strength apart from what I have just started.

Man I am really starting to figure something out, those PTC boys are FARKEN strong!! I mean FARKEN strong!

Woops, that is what I get for scanning a webpage instead of reading it :)

The PTC boys train for strength, so they get it!

Josh if I was in your position I would be just keep going up in weight and strength, forget about cutting weights for comps. You're not going to be anywhere near the top in any class so just try and push the biggest numbers you can.

Cheers Nick, some good advice there. Though if I only have to lose 1 - 2 kg's wouldn't it be worthwhile? Hopefully people won't be doubling my total then.

I think I just found Shorty and Nick on powerlifters.com.au

Some good info over there.

I just spoke to the bloke running it via SMS. I am pretty psyched now. Time to get into it and push harder than ever. This is just what I need to get my lifting back into gear. ****en light weight!

I'll post up more info when I have it. I am pretty sure I am going to go in it, even if I do embarass myself.

You wont have found me on powerlifters.com but shorty might be there.

Dont worry you wont embarrass yourself, just treat it as a learning experience.

Keep in mind Markos coached his wife to a level where she hold some records, he will be able to provide you with invaluable info.

Good luck and make sure you keep us updated on how you go.

Will do Nick, Cheers mate.

Shorty is definitely on there, there was another guy called Nick commenting on his log.

It seems there is a bit of contraversy out there with Powerlifting.

122kg, you are surely a contender.

Have a search Kyle, Judging ie depth of squats, use of prohibited items, different associations, blah, blah, blah.

I love powerlifting, but it is a mess.

Its one of the reasons I started my comps.

Good luck Josh.

I have spoken to Steve at UQ Weightlifting Club, he has been into the game for 20 years. He is going to do a few free sessions for me in their gym on Saturdays to check form and go over rules etc.

My bro and I will go at the same time. This is going to be interesting.

I know of a couple of lifters in QLD who have competed, one lives over the road from UQ, Ghosty from ns.com